GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently October 22 19, 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99 ... 130  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2020 Election
PostPosted: June 11 19, 7:30 am 
Hall Of Famer

Jocephus wrote:
Quote:
Biden gambles on high-risk primary strategy

If it seems like the former veep is running for the nomination of a different party than the rest of his rivals, that’s because he is.

By NATASHA KORECKI and MARC CAPUTO

06/10/2019 05:04 AM EDT

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/ ... gy-1358530

Quote:
If it seems like Joe Biden is running for the nomination of a different Democratic Party than the rest of his rivals, that’s because he is.

From his schedule, his messaging, to policy positions, the former vice president is carving a divergent path through the primaries based on a theory that few of his rivals appear to believe — that the Democratic base isn’t nearly as liberal or youthful as everyone thinks.

Quote:
Privately, several Biden advisers acknowledge that their theory of the case is rooted in polling data and voting trends that are in plain sight. They contend that the idea of a hyper-progressive Democratic electorate is advanced inaccurately by a media stuck in a bubble propagated by Twitter, and out of touch with the average rank-and-file Democrat.

Biden’s team points to recent polls, showing that a majority of the Democratic primary electorate identify as moderate or conservative, 56 percent is over 50 and nearly 60 percent are not college educated. And they point to the results of the 2018 midterm elections that they say saw moderate Democrats win their congressional and state primaries.

It pains me to say this but I think this may be a winning strategy, for the Democratic primaries at least. Not sure Biden could beat Trump.

A bunch of boomer Iowa Democrats lost their minds when Bernie walked with McDonald's workers on strike yesterday. The comments section was filled with people explaining that fast food jobs are for high school kids and even that they hate unions. It's wild to me how many Democrats are this hostile to anything remotely leftist, but these are the voters Biden is courting. I think the only hope is that either Bernie or Warren eventually drop out, and 100% of their voters go to the other one. Even that might not be enough to beat Biden though, because I think Biden will get close to 100% of Harris, Buttigeig, Booker, etc voters eventually.

PostPosted: June 11 19, 8:44 am 
All-Star

I'd like to report on the first 2020 bumper stickers seen in Portland. Both over the weekend. The first was for Yang. I don't know who he is, but if his sticker neighbors are any indication, he/she (edited to add she. minus three woke points, seriously didn't occur to me it may be she) is running on a self-righteous militant vegan platform--or possibly the overland jeeps that never get used platform. The second was for Bernie, and I was shocked it took this long to see one here.

PostPosted: June 11 19, 9:05 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Yang has to pick Ying for running mate

PostPosted: June 11 19, 9:15 am 
Hall Of Famer

pioneer98 wrote:
The comments section was filled with people explaining that fast food jobs are for high school kids

It's weird how this is accepted dogma. You see it all the time. Fast food joints are often from morning until 11 or midnight, if not 24 hours.

Sounds like the median age for fast food workers is 29, and about half of the workers are on public assistance.

Quote:
https://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2013/nov/04/bill-maher/bill-maher-average-fast-food-worker-29-most-are-pu/

Found this breakdown too

http://cepr.net/blogs/cepr-blog/slow-pr ... od-workers

PostPosted: June 11 19, 9:18 am 
Hall Of Famer

Koch brothers float possibility of backing congressional Democrats in 2020 primaries

Our choices will be between corporate Democrats and quasi-fascist Trumpers.

PostPosted: June 11 19, 9:19 am 
All-Star

pioneer98 wrote:
Koch brothers float possibility of backing congressional Democrats in 2020 primaries

It's a very easy choice.

PostPosted: June 11 19, 9:43 am 
Hall Of Famer

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:

It's a very easy choice.

An easy choice, but the choices keep getting worse and worse every cycle. When we have a system that is starting to produce Nazis on one side, maybe we should try to change that system?

PostPosted: June 11 19, 10:12 am 
Hall Of Famer

I mean it says they're open to it and they haven't formally backed a candidate. Gave donations to a handful in the midterms to people like Cuellar, who doesn't exactly need Koch money to be centrist.

PostPosted: June 11 19, 10:26 am 
All-Star

The Kochs have been boogeymen for so long it's relieving that they can actually smell the BS in the GOP. I wouldn't put being opportunists, and/or some other long term plan past them, of course. But these little victories for the state of conservative American politics are at least little kernels of hope.

PostPosted: June 11 19, 10:48 am 
bronoun enthusiast

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
The Kochs have been boogeymen for so long it's relieving that they can actually smell the BS in the GOP. I wouldn't put being opportunists, and/or some other long term plan past them, of course. But these little victories for the state of conservative American politics are at least little kernels of hope.

I disagree wildly with your interpretation. I'm not even sure how anyone could think the Koch's are "abandoning" the GOP or in any way don't like the direction of the party. This is the party they created in their own image.

They are explicitly trying to preserve a hard right-moderate right, two-party balance. They don't want an actual left/progressive party in this country. That's all this is.

Edit - I am right.
https://www.gq.com/story/koch-brothers- ... -democrats

They're funding incumbents who will be primaried by progressives (Joe Manchine, Chuck Schumer soon, etc).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99 ... 130  Next