GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently December 14 19, 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1097, 1098, 1099, 1100, 1101, 1102, 1103 ... 1119  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: movies
PostPosted: May 21 19, 11:22 pm 
Offline
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: June 4 17, 10:04 pm
Posts: 2392
Location: portlandbugle.com
It really was a stupid question. I don't know how to feel about the internet mob winning, even though that movie is in the family queue now (groan) and their work will reduce nightmares.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: movies
PostPosted: May 22 19, 7:23 am 
Offline
Replies Authoritatively
User avatar

Joined: April 7 13, 9:45 am
Posts: 8176
Location: Chicago, IL
This Robert Pattinson hate is crazy. The case for Pattinson in three films:

1. Cosmopolis, with Cronenberg
2. Good Time, with the Safdie Bros (this was the Film Comment Critics Poll's top film of 2017, it's pretty awesome)
Spoiler: show

3. High Life, with Claire Denis (co-starring Binoche and a literal ((kinda)) F*ck Box)
Spoiler: show


These three give us Pattinson who has left his teen heartthrob thing way in the past, and who is more In Competition At Cannes than Huge Opening Weekend. They all, IMO, show that he's a a very interesting actor--if not a great one, which I'd argue he's become--who is taking a lot of risks and doing interesting material with great directors that sometimes soars (Good Time and High Life) and that he is still good in when it falls flat (Cosmopolis)--kind of an arthouse Paul Rudd. He's more than qualified to play everyone's favorite dark superhero.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: movies
PostPosted: May 22 19, 8:04 am 
Offline
gone fission
User avatar

Joined: December 11 07, 4:15 pm
Posts: 8091
Location: Twin Cities, MN
I watched Behind The Curve on Netflix, a documentary on the Flat Earth Society and the fact that there are apparently millions of people who still believe this crap. They literally think we live in a giant flat snowglobe where the south pole is a giant 200' tall wall of ice ("Game of Thrones style" which is the exact phrase used by a guy in the documentary) that completely surrounds the edge of the planet.

Image

The documentary was hilarious. They kept performing experiments to prove the Earth is flat, and the results kept indicating it was round. "Well, those results are problematic. Clearly we did something wrong, let's try re-running it a different way."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: movies
PostPosted: May 22 19, 8:10 am 
Offline
"I could totally eat a person if it were a life/death situation"
User avatar

Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
Posts: 24353
Location: Thinking of the Children
Swirls wrote:
I watched Behind The Curve on Netflix, a documentary on the Flat Earth Society and the fact that there are apparently millions of people who still believe this crap. They literally think we live in a giant flat snowglobe where the south pole is a giant 200' tall wall of ice ("Game of Thrones style" which is the exact phrase used by a guy in the documentary) that completely surrounds the edge of the planet.

Image

The documentary was hilarious. They kept performing experiments to prove the Earth is flat, and the results kept indicating it was round. "Well, those results are problematic. Clearly we did something wrong, let's try re-running it a different way."

Haven't seen the doc, but some of the experiments are awesome.

Like this one



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: movies
PostPosted: May 22 19, 8:28 am 
Offline
Hallelujah Brother
User avatar

Joined: April 17 06, 7:36 pm
Posts: 13033
Michael wrote:
I decided to watch the classic film The Night of the Hunter on Amazon Prime. My reasons for watching it were pretty simple: Robert Mitchum and those iconic "Love/Hate" finger tattoos (see below). The movie sagged a bit in the middle, but I still really enjoyed it. If nothing else, Robert Mitchum is a treasure and this is a peak film for him. Also, the movie is beautifully shot in a 1950's sound stage kind of way.

One thing I didn't expect is it's one of the most pro Christian films I've ever seen in a good way. The movie critiques certain characters who claim their faith but fall short, while simultaneously making it clear the Christian faith itself is truth and a force for good. In that sense there's some parables you can draw with religion in America today.

Anyway, I digress. In summary, these tattoos are bad ass:


Image

Image

“if I love you I love you, but if I hate you...I love you [Mookie]"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: movies
PostPosted: May 22 19, 8:58 am 
Offline
darjeeling sipping elite
User avatar

Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Posts: 37241
Location: Huis Clos
stlouie_lipp wrote:
Michael wrote:
I decided to watch the classic film The Night of the Hunter on Amazon Prime. My reasons for watching it were pretty simple: Robert Mitchum and those iconic "Love/Hate" finger tattoos (see below). The movie sagged a bit in the middle, but I still really enjoyed it. If nothing else, Robert Mitchum is a treasure and this is a peak film for him. Also, the movie is beautifully shot in a 1950's sound stage kind of way.

One thing I didn't expect is it's one of the most pro Christian films I've ever seen in a good way. The movie critiques certain characters who claim their faith but fall short, while simultaneously making it clear the Christian faith itself is truth and a force for good. In that sense there's some parables you can draw with religion in America today.

Anyway, I digress. In summary, these tattoos are bad ass:


Image

Image

“if I love you I love you, but if I hate you...I love you [Mookie]"





Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: movies
PostPosted: May 22 19, 11:50 am 
Offline
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: June 4 17, 10:04 pm
Posts: 2392
Location: portlandbugle.com
If someone offered you a zillion dollars and a very promising future as an actor, but the catch was you had to be in terrible movies and be Justin Bieber, you probably have to take it. I watched that Charlie Hunnam slog of a South American exploration movie, and Pattinson didn't make much of an impression. But he probably deserves a chance at least.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: movies
PostPosted: May 22 19, 12:08 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 9:40 pm
Posts: 24706
BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
If someone offered you a zillion dollars and a very promising future as an actor, but the catch was you had to be in terrible movies and be Justin Bieber, you probably have to take it. I watched that Charlie Hunnam slog of a South American exploration movie, and Pattinson didn't make much of an impression. But he probably deserves a chance at least.


That’s a quietly divisive movie. I loved it. Not a showy role for Pattinson but I think he does a great job. .


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: movies
PostPosted: May 22 19, 12:53 pm 
Offline
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: June 4 17, 10:04 pm
Posts: 2392
Location: portlandbugle.com
Well, Hunnam is a lousy actor. He should be starring in Thor mockbusters. I can do long and boring, especially with scenery. I had trouble getting pulled into that one.

A somewhat similar movie that I've been trying to track down is The Mission. The soundtrack is incredible. Has anyone seen it?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: movies
PostPosted: May 22 19, 1:04 pm 
Offline
has a link from 538 to share
User avatar

Joined: December 31 69, 6:00 pm
Posts: 34857
Location: Chicago, IL
Swirls wrote:
I watched Behind The Curve on Netflix, a documentary on the Flat Earth Society and the fact that there are apparently millions of people who still believe this crap.


This is a really underrated doc. It focuses on flat eathers, but it's really about why people believe in conspiracies in the first place. The parallels with other more mainstream conspiracy mongers and their belivers is on point. The directors did a pretty good ama here.

Also, the final scene in this doc is amazing. It broke my brain.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1097, 1098, 1099, 1100, 1101, 1102, 1103 ... 1119  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group