GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently August 24 19, 8:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: June 23 19, 8:51 pm 
Hall Of Famer

This deserves it's own thread. These right wing gun nuts are going to destroy our country. They do not believe in democracy and are going to kill us if we attempt to actually do democracy. Hell, maybe they already are. This is wild and not something I thought I'd see but here we are. The lawmakers themselves made the threats. This is Fascism IMO

Oregon Statehouse Shut Down After Lawmakers Team Up With Right-Wing Militias
Quote:
Oregon’s statehouse shut down for safety concerns on Saturday. But the threats weren’t coming from anonymous trolls or foreign fighters—they were coming from the state’s Republican senators, who have teamed up with right-wing militias to threaten violence over a climate change bill.

Eleven of Oregon’s Senate Republicans fled the state this week to avoid a vote on a bill that would cap greenhouse emissions. The group, believed to be hiding in Idaho, left the state senate with too few lawmakers to hold a vote. But the move is more than a legislative maneuver. The missing senators have partnered with right-wing paramilitary groups to threaten violence, should they be brought back to Oregon.

The state senate had scheduled sessions on Saturday, but cancelled them after reports of several militias’ two-day “Rally to Take the Capitol” this weekend.

“Oregon State Police has recommended that the Capitol be closed tomorrow due to a possible militia threat,” a spokesperson for the senate president told the Associated Press on Friday night.
Quote:
Multiple senators are believed to have fled to Idaho, with right-wing militias flocking to their aid. While leaving the statehouse before the walkout, Republican Sen. Brian Boquist implied that police officers who pursued them should be ready to die. “Send bachelors and come heavily armed,” Boquist warned police in a televised interview shortly before his walkout. “I’m not going to be a political prisoner in the state of Oregon. It’s just that simple.”

PostPosted: June 23 19, 8:54 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Some kind of [expletive] up. But most people outside of Oregon won't hear or care about it.

PostPosted: June 23 19, 9:00 pm 
Hall Of Famer

They are doing this over a climate change bill. It's not immigration or gun control or abortion or any of the usual hot button issues. That makes it even weirder for me. They really, truly do love their corporate masters.

PostPosted: June 23 19, 9:01 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Freed Roger wrote:
Some kind of [expletive] up. But most people outside of Oregon won't hear or care about it.

If it happened there it will start happening in other places.

PostPosted: June 24 19, 5:44 am 
Hall Of Famer

I've been saying this for a few years now. We have a president for life and fascists and concentration camps to keep it that way. Believe it.

PostPosted: June 24 19, 8:50 am 
Perennial All-Star

After they let the Cliven Bundy clan point guns at them for a month and dare law enforcement to do something -- anything -- (which L.E. didn't do) it was an open invitation for these whack jobs to go even further.

Ignoring these idiots isn't going to make them go away. They will get bolder and bolder and bolder. Eventually they will need to be put down. Hopefully it's done when there is only a few of them (a few hundred? a few thousand?) as opposed to 10s of thousands.

PostPosted: June 24 19, 8:58 am 
Perennial All-Star

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
I've been saying this for a few years now. We have a president for life and fascists and concentration camps to keep it that way. Believe it.

I fear you are right.

I've been talking a lot about all this stuff with my kids. My 13 year old daughter especially, though. She is a worrier. She has been afraid of what Trump means for our country. She was ready to move the day after he was "elected". I told her not to worry yet. That things will look bad, possibly really bad, but ultimately it won't really mean much to our daily lives for a while. She has repeatedly asked what the red line is for me -- what would it take for me to pack up and move? I never really had a good answer for her. I kind of left it at "I'll know it when it happens." all the while hoping I'm not the proverbial frog boiling in the pan, never knowing when to jump out... It recently/finally hit me what my red line is. It's if/when he is still in office past the second term. Barring anything else unforeseen, I think that's my red line. If that happens, I pack up my car, drive to Canada, request asylum, and pray they don't treat me like we've been treating migrants.

PostPosted: June 24 19, 9:14 am 
Perennial All-Star

I'd like to chalk this up as some kind of anomaly perpetrated by bad actors, but I get the sense that other Republicans would be emboldened to act this way about things like gun control, abortion and (obviously) climate change. As far as I can tell, it's almost required that you boldly reject reality and logic to become a member of the GOP today, and as realities like these close in faster around them, they're going to lash out. They know the majority of the country disagrees with them on a variety of their core beliefs, and they are quite literally willing to do anything to preserve the world they know.

This is pretty disturbing to me. If these were Democrats, and especially if they were POC, conservatives across the country would be grabbing their guns to start a war.

PostPosted: June 24 19, 1:17 pm 
Perennial All-Star

ThatGuy wrote:
...If these were Democrats, and especially if they were POC, conservatives across the country would be grabbing their guns to start a war.

THIS

PostPosted: June 24 19, 9:47 pm 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Just liked the Bundy group, these people need drone striked. Of course that will never happen now. This stuff is going to be common going forward. Everything the gun nuts don't like will spark a response like this.