Getting into shape

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Re: Getting into shape

Post by JCShutout »

Yeah, by myself. I'm part of a group that does fitness challenges, but it wasn't an event. It basically lists challenges and you attempt them on your own time. (or with others if people want to work together.) It really was the hardest thing I've ever done. Mile 34 was when it turned from difficult to hell, though I got a second wind as I got closer to the end.

I might check out that loop. The next challenge I'm focusing on is 50 miles with 40lbs on my back, though this time I get 48 hours to complete it. I was scouting out loops for the purpose you mentioned, making my car a refuel/aid station to keep extra weight down. (I carried somewhere between 10-20lbs-my rucksack alone is 7lbs-just in gear/supplies for the 50 mile just completed.)

I've been training with shorter distances and more weight. Got up to 19 miles with 40-50lbs for the attempt just completed. Have so far trained up to 6 miles with 75lbs for this next one. Going to attempt 8 miles this coming weekend at a 4ish mile loop that I'm considering for the challenge, then 10 miles the next weekend. Might check Lost Valley that week since the mileage lines up with my training regimen. Hoping to work up to 14 miles at least once before the attempt.

The downside of the loop of course, is, as you mentioned, the fact that you have to be disciplined enough to complete the miles. The 50 miles was rough and grueling, but on some level, I knew if I wanted to go home, I had to get back to my car. I mean, sure, I could have called my dad or wife and they would have picked me up, but its easier to disregard that then to ignore your car when its right there in front of you. I think I'll be okay though. I've now done two grueling endurance challenges this month and completed them. I'll find a way to get it done.

I don't remember, are you local? I can let you know when I plan on hiking Lost Valley if you wanted to join. (And anyone else who wants to try a 10 mile hike. - Probably a 3-3 and 1/2 hour trek if you've never tried one before.)

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

I will be at Lost Valley a lot this time of year. Ping me if you want to give it or something other trail a shot. Doing trail marathon in 3 weeks, I guess I better up the time on on feet lol. Been having too much fun enjoying my fitness level with some travels than to actually work on it.

the heat factor looms large for me. I sweat like a maniac. Getting acclimated works some but it sneaks up on me. then I don't process calories Once I'm baked, it takes forever to get out of the hole. the brain senses this and starts conserving -not sending resources to muscles to move. Really get prone to a muscle pull or strain.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I've been MIA lately busy with other things, but I just want to check in and congratulate everyone on their progress! I'm still trucking along and I should be under 180 in a few weeks.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Michael wrote:I've been MIA lately busy with other things, but I just want to check in and congratulate everyone on their progress! I'm still trucking along and I should be under 180 in a few weeks.
Congrats to you as well. Can’t recall where you said you started this quest but under 180 sounds great.

I’m sort of wondering what my ideal weight should be. It’s sort of settled around 200 with regular weight and cardio training plus some moderate dietary improvement although I’m pretty sure I could- and want to- lose a bit more fat weight. I’m thinking long term though; the weight, build i want to carry through my 50s into my 60s. But I still need to carry a fair bit of muscle mass to perform my job.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

lukethedrifter wrote:
Michael wrote:I've been MIA lately busy with other things, but I just want to check in and congratulate everyone on their progress! I'm still trucking along and I should be under 180 in a few weeks.
Congrats to you as well. Can’t recall where you said you started this quest but under 180 sounds great.

I’m sort of wondering what my ideal weight should be. It’s sort of settled around 200 with regular weight and cardio training plus some moderate dietary improvement although I’m pretty sure I could- and want to- lose a bit more fat weight. I’m thinking long term though; the weight, build i want to carry through my 50s into my 60s. But I still need to carry a fair bit of muscle mass to perform my job.
I'm 6 ft and I started at 235. Now that I'm older 180 looks different on me because the gut is the hardest part to lose. By no means is my belly huge and it's much, much smaller then it was, but when I was 180 in my 20's I think the fat on my body was a bit more proportional. My legs are really skinny now ha ha.

Anyway, as problems go this is one of the better ones.

MAGA
All-Star

Post by MAGA »

You think your cardio may be decent until you start doing legit BJJ. Yikes. Have to re-prioritize.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Snuck under 190lbs yesterday and today. 188 even. More importantly, 19.8% bodyfat. I don't know if I've ever been under 20%. Maybe for a week when I was 6 or something. Who knows.

I'm almost a middleweight for sparring. Cutoff is 184.5.

I think 18.5% bodyfat is a reasonable goal where I can eat, be disciplined, but not anal.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Completed another endurance challenge, my last for awhile.

Rucked 50 miles in under 48 hours carrying 40lbs. Completed it in 43 and a half ish hours. Started at 2pm Thursday-going 16 miles, all day yesterday going 24 miles, and this morning an easy 10 miles.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Goodness

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Crosspost in the Getting Old thread. I’m basically conceding the arthritis in my right shoulder. I can deal with the pain and don’t push it too far but this damn hip/glute/low back issue is getting on my nerves. This chiropractor is saying he’s got me almost back to normal. No. No, you don’t. Guess off to PT next.

Had been thinking about looking for a old guys track team to run 400s, 800s etc but not happening until i get this thing worked out.