Scam Email

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Mary1966
Perennial All-Star

Scam Email

Post by Mary1966 »

Hi, I know your password is: [my GRB password]

You got infected with my malware, RAT (Remote Administration Tool), while browsing the web where my iframe was placed, in the background you got redirected to my exploitpack, your browser wasn't patched so you got infected!

The malware gave me full control over your computer and access to all your accounts (see password above), it was also possible to turn your webcam on, you can Google about RAT's and their functionalities!

I collected all your private data and RECORDED YOU (through your webcam) SATISFYING YOURSELF!

After that I removed my malware, to not leave any traces.

I can send the video to all your contacts, over email, post on social network and everywhere else and publish all your private data everywhere, including the darknet, where the sick people are!

Only you can prevent me from doing this!

To stop me, transfer exactly 1200$ in bitcoin (BTC).

If you don't know how to buy bitcoin, Google - "How to buy Bitcoin?"
Or buy bitcoin here: [redacted] or check for bitcoin ATM near you.

You can send direct to my wallet, or create your own wallet first here: [redacted] and then send to mine.

My bitcoin wallet is: [redacted]

Copy and paste my wallet, it's (cAsE-sensetive)
After receiving the payment, I will delete all your data and you can life your live in peace like before.

You got 3 days time.
Since I already have access to your account, I know if this email has been already read.
If you get this email multiple times, it's to make sure you read it and after payment you can ignore it.
Don't show this email to anyone, it will not help you but make everything worse, this should stay our little secret.
Next time update your browser and scan unknown files on: http://www.virustotal.com, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

This is the second time I have gotten this email.

1)My computer does not have a webcam
2)I don't "satisfy myself."

What do people think I should do about this?

Tim
Consider him admonished

Re: Scam Email

Post by Tim »

Ugh. Sheesh. No clue but good luck. Would these be something to alert law enforcement or nah?

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Yikes. run malwarebytes and change a bunch of passwords.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Definitely do a scan and change your passwords. Should always change passwords regularly.

Mary1966
Perennial All-Star

Post by Mary1966 »

I got a third one of these emails today. I ran Malwarebytes and got this:

I found this article about this particular scam that says: 1)Ignore the email and 2)Change your passwords.

I know that my email has been compromised because I've been informed that I have been a part of data breaches. Should I change that as well?

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

It never hurts to change your passwords. If you think there is any chance someone has figured it out, change it.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

GRB password > bank password

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

You shouldn't have to change your email; changing passwords will protect you. Just don't click any links on the inside of that or any other emails from people you don't know or nefarious looking sorts.

Mary1966
Perennial All-Star

Post by Mary1966 »

I’ve started the process of changing my passwords, beginning with the website for my guild for Star Wars:The Old Republic, which had the same password as GRB. I use a root password with one or two letters added to make it different for each website, except for really important accounts, like my Microsoft account and my PayPal account, for which I have created unique passwords not based on my root password.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

I collected all your private data and RECORDED YOU (through your webcam) SATISFYING YOURSELF!
I have the same video of myself and it's already been posted on several outlets.