Goldschmidt

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
ThatGuy
Perennial All-Star

Goldschmidt

Post by ThatGuy »

Bernie's new column dives into Goldschmidt's troubles. Important stuff:
1. Goldschmidt is vulnerable to off-speed pitches: He’s batting .100 (5-for-50) on changeups this season. That’s the worst in the majors. The league average against changeups is .241. Goldschmidt’s slugging percentage vs. changeups (.160) is second-worst in the bigs. The league average slugging vs. changeups is .418.

2. It isn’t just changeups, though: Goldschmidt is batting only .179 (22-for-123) on non-fastballs this season. That’s the eighth-worst in MLB. His slugging percentage (.309) on non-fastballs this season is the 12th-worst in the majors and well below the league-average .417 mark.

Goldschmidt is slugging just .107 on breaking balls down and away; that’s the 11th-worst in MLB and 175 points below league average.

3. Goldschmidt’s overall numbers vs. fastballs are down: Not brutal, but a definite decrease from his established standards. More importantly, he’s struggling against high-velocity heat. This season he has slugged .304 on pitches 94-plus mph; that’s 10th-worst in the majors and far below the league average of .467. His batting average against 94-plus-mph fastballs (.207) is 70 points below the league average.

4. Goldschmidt isn’t doing much with pitches low in the strike zone: His .179 batting average on low pitches is sixth-worst in the majors and 66 points below the league average. His slugging against low pitches (.285) is the ninth-worst in the majors and 116 points below league average … and on low non-fastballs, Goldy is batting .076, worst in MLB.

5. He’s vulnerable to inside pitches: A scout told me that the word is out, so teams have been busting him in on the fists. The facts verify that; his .301 slugging on inside pitches is 30th-worst among qualifying hitters and 145 points below the league average. His extra-base-hit percentage on inside pitches (17.4 percent) is the fourth-worst in the majors and 24 points below the league average.

Goldy didn’t record a single “Well-Hit” ball on inside fastballs during the month of June. And his line-drive rate on inside pitches last month (5 percent) was the lowest by a big-league hitter.

6. Goldschmidt has too many swings and misses on pitches he should crush: First, there’s his swing-and-miss rate (23.3 percent) on pitches in the strike zone this season, the 11th-worst mark in the majors. And then there’s his 32.8-percent swing-and-miss rate when pitchers are behind in the count (ninth-worst).
At this point, I think my main question is why the magic blueprint for stifling Paul Goldschmidt all of a sudden became available to every pitcher in the league this year. Maybe it's a combination of bad luck, pressing and the weight of expectations, but he's been so much worse than anyone could've imagined.

I'd love to stop posting about this, and everybody keeps saying he'll figure it out, but this is the head scratcher of all head scratchers.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Re: Goldschmidt

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Maybe it's not a good idea to sign 30+ year old players to mega deals.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

ThatGuy wrote:Bernie's new column dives into Goldschmidt's troubles. Important stuff:

At this point, I think my main question is why the magic blueprint for stifling Paul Goldschmidt all of a sudden became available to every pitcher in the league this year.
As rest of your info shows, this isn't really a question. Once a weakness is exposed the whole league is on to it in a short while.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

If Marp came back yesterday I would've sent Edman down, and brought up Ravelo for the series in Seattle. The only thing PG has been good for is great defense, which Rangey can provide. Give PG a series off, before reinstating him for SF series(where he has great numbers).

But that didn't happen.

There's been talk that the pressure of performing after signing has mounted. And that he's chased that frustration with a ton of work\watching video. Probably not something he's ever had to do; there's an art to balancing all that. When those haven't worked, Alberts always there to overload you with facts and stats..

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

MinorLeagueGuy wrote:If Marp came back yesterday I would've sent Edman down, and brought up Ravelo for the series in Seattle. The only thing PG has been good for is great defense, which Rangey can provide. Give PG a series off, before reinstating him for SF series(where he has great numbers).

But that didn't happen.

There's been talk that the pressure of performing after signing has mounted. And that he's chased that frustration with a ton of work\watching video. Probably not something he's ever had to do; there's an art to balancing all that. When those haven't worked, Alberts always there to overload you with facts and stats..
Ravelo isn't good either.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Is this his worst half ever, or at least since he was young?
Has anyone compared his underwhelmitude with Tino's?

Just a couple questions I have.

Please retitle the thread 'Pyriteschmidt'. It's going to catch on goddamit.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Over-30 guys struggle mightily with high velocity fastballs. In league full of hard throwers, that's another thing that makes the extension look odd. If he wasn't extended, we'd all be against it at this point and probably would rather extend Ozuna.

This article last year was already ahead of the game on some of Goldschmidt's issues:
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/paul-goldsc ... -velocity/

Mo didn't do his homework................

Spoiled for size:
[SHOW]

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Freed Roger wrote:
ThatGuy wrote:Bernie's new column dives into Goldschmidt's troubles. Important stuff:

At this point, I think my main question is why the magic blueprint for stifling Paul Goldschmidt all of a sudden became available to every pitcher in the league this year.
As rest of your info shows, this isn't really a question. Once a weakness is exposed the whole league is on to it in a short while.
Still, from 2011-2018 no one thought to throw him a changeup or breaking ball? Or to bust him inside with fastballs?

Seems like it's just a case of father time taking his toll on Goldy's ability to hit.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:Over-30 guys struggle mightily with high velocity fastballs. In league full of hard throwers, that's another thing that makes the extension look odd. If he wasn't extended, we'd all be against it at this point and probably would rather extend Ozuna.

This article last year was already ahead of the game on some of Goldschmidt's issues:
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/paul-goldsc ... -velocity/

Mo didn't do his homework................

Spoiled for size:
[SHOW]
Like Goldschmidt, Calhoun (3 wRC+ overall — you read that correctly), Martin (74), Inciarte (77), Sano (84), Semien (85), and Ozuna (93 wRC) are among the familiar names one finds at the wrong end of this year’s wRC+ rankings, though some of the above players are thriving nonetheless, such as Mazara (123), Taylor (120) and Bregman (117). This isn’t a one-size-fits-all explanation.
This year his K% against the FB is at his career norm, but hit BABIP is 90 points lower than his career average against them.

Goldschmidt also hit .324 .416 .594 1.009 from the date that article was written through the end of the season.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

I posted this in other threads, but his spray charts show he has warning track power this year. He's getting nothing to the right side and used to do that pretty frequently. Most of his balls hit to the right are weak flyouts. He used to barrel them that direction.