CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: 7/4 GDT: Cardinals(Wacha)@Mariners(Milone) 3PM CT

Post by CardsofSTL »

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Milone will be in the game at some point....they're going to use an opener to start things off. Yeehah.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

When Tommy Edman sat down to watch his last at-bat from Tuesday night -- a swinging strikeout against Mariners closer Roenis Elias -- he found the reason his swing felt off.

His hips were clearing too much, looping toward the third-base dugout, and on the last pitch of the at-bat, he swung hard through a changeup down in the zone. He told himself if the pinch-hitting situation came up again, he wasn’t going to let himself do that again.

The Cardinals rookie didn’t have to wait long for a similar situation. In the top of ninth inning of Wednesday night’s game, Edman pinch-hit with one out and two runners on in a tie game -- and against Elias.

Edman blasted a three-run shot to give the Cardinals’ a 5-2 win over the Mariners and evened the series at T-Mobile Park.
In a recent “ball talk” meeting, where Cardinals players and coaches talk about the upcoming game, manager Mike Shildt told the team it needed to do more damage while at the plate. While the team has struggled offensively, too often has it gotten away from hitting the ball hard to a gap or out of the park.

In Tuesday’s series-opening loss to the Mariners, Jose Martinez did exactly what Shildt wants the Cardinals to do. Martinez, designated hitting while the Cardinals play in American League territory, hit solo home runs in the first and sixth inning. Prior to Tuesday, he was batting just .216 with two homers in his previous 38 games.

“When you get into a situation with the team that needs the offense to do a little bit more, you want to help the team,” Martinez said. “The most important thing right now is go out there and hit the ball hard or get on base for the next guy. What matters is being productive and making something happen for the team.”
Right-handed reliever Ryan Helsley was activated from the 10-day injured list (right shoulder impingement) Wednesday and optioned to Triple-A Memphis, where he had recently been pitching on a rehab assignment. Shildt hopes to see Helsley’s health and consistency improve while he works in Memphis.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

CardsofSTL wrote:
When Tommy Edman sat down to watch his last at-bat from Tuesday night -- a swinging strikeout against Mariners closer Roenis Elias -- he found the reason his swing felt off.

His hips were clearing too much, looping toward the third-base dugout, and on the last pitch of the at-bat, he swung hard through a changeup down in the zone. He told himself if the pinch-hitting situation came up again, he wasn’t going to let himself do that again.

The Cardinals rookie didn’t have to wait long for a similar situation. In the top of ninth inning of Wednesday night’s game, Edman pinch-hit with one out and two runners on in a tie game -- and against Elias.

Edman blasted a three-run shot to give the Cardinals’ a 5-2 win over the Mariners and evened the series at T-Mobile Park.
In a recent “ball talk” meeting, where Cardinals players and coaches talk about the upcoming game, manager Mike Shildt told the team it needed to do more damage while at the plate. While the team has struggled offensively, too often has it gotten away from hitting the ball hard to a gap or out of the park.

In Tuesday’s series-opening loss to the Mariners, Jose Martinez did exactly what Shildt wants the Cardinals to do. Martinez, designated hitting while the Cardinals play in American League territory, hit solo home runs in the first and sixth inning. Prior to Tuesday, he was batting just .216 with two homers in his previous 38 games.

“When you get into a situation with the team that needs the offense to do a little bit more, you want to help the team,” Martinez said. “The most important thing right now is go out there and hit the ball hard or get on base for the next guy. What matters is being productive and making something happen for the team.”
Right-handed reliever Ryan Helsley was activated from the 10-day injured list (right shoulder impingement) Wednesday and optioned to Triple-A Memphis, where he had recently been pitching on a rehab assignment. Shildt hopes to see Helsley’s health and consistency improve while he works in Memphis.

More...? How about any damage?

Mary1966
Perennial All-Star

Post by Mary1966 »

I’m on the bus to Seattle. I almost missed it. When I looked at the times I had to transfer this week, I was concerned that I might have problems making transfers. And then the bus driver said to me, “You can’t ride this bus with that jersey on.” Ha.

Mary1966
Perennial All-Star

Post by Mary1966 »

I’m at the ballpark. Lots of Cardinals jerseys: Ozzie, Pujols, Molina. Lots of red in the stands. Are the Cardinals known for being a great road draw?

Cronos
In perpetuum

Post by Cronos »

They're just awful.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Is anyone DVRing the game? They shot video of my family in the concourse for the Cardinals broadcast.