The Juiced Ball Committee

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Re: The Juiced Ball Committee

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

What's the incentive of putting ball in play when the feast/famine/walk style hitter generates more offense on average?

Would be nice if they were all Trout.

People will just go back to missing the home run and find "station to station" boring. Trust me I lived in the bay area and that's the exact teams the Giants usually have had the past half decade and it's really bad.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:
Tim McCarver wrote:How bout how hard them bats are nowadays?
That was mind numbingly bad the other day.
Tim McCarver wrote:We used to bat with a willow twig; and when someone hit a homerun; you knew they had earned it. But they didn't have to dance around and show up the pitcher; they just ran their bases and took their handshakes. Now these bats are made with this solid wood; and they're hard--and no one is talking about it!

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:What's the incentive of putting ball in play when the feast/famine/walk style hitter generates more offense on average?

Would be nice if they were all Trout.

People will just go back to missing the home run and find "station to station" boring. Trust me I lived in the bay area and that's the exact teams the Giants usually have had the past half decade and it's really bad.
Balance grasshopper; balance.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

What's worse: the commissioner juicing the balls, or having no idea wtf is happening to them? I honestly don't know.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

what i don't understand is how they can't determine if the balls are different or not. wouldn't certain materials that make up the composition of the ball be different, whether it be weight or aerodynamics/shape or design or whatever? i just imagine MLB scientists in lab coats looking at baseballs with magnifying glasses and going back to manfred with "well we don't see anything different".

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

I didn’t know that mlb owned Rawlings

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Hi Mr. Rawlings, it's Robb-o. ...no, Rob. Rob MANFRED, Mr. Rawlings. ...gee I don't know, I guess I didn't really think about it. They should be white, right? And the string thingies should be red, I guess? I don't know... Hold on. Hey Peggy? Peggy! PEGGY! What should the balls be like?

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

CardsofSTL wrote:
InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:
Tim McCarver wrote:How bout how hard them bats are nowadays?
That was mind numbingly bad the other day.
Tim McCarver wrote:We used to bat with a willow twig; and when someone hit a homerun; you knew they had earned it. But they didn't have to dance around and show up the pitcher; they just ran their bases and took their handshakes. Now these bats are made with this solid wood; and they're hard--and no one is talking about it!
It was talked about, when Bonds was breaking records. It seems like a million years ago when Maple bats were getting poplar...

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Revert the ball back to pre-2014 design and add the DH to the NL if you want more offense.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Me: If what you’re saying is correct then mlb is run by morons. What sort of operation wouldn’t bother to determine the impact on the end product when making efficiency improvements to the process?
Seems ludicrous to me.