Dylan Carlson SUPER MeGa Thread

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
go birds
-go birds

Re: Dylan Carlson SUPER MeGa Thread

Post by go birds »

That's fair, but carlson is the better prospect right now due to the numbers hes putting up and his proximity to the majors.

Not to mention his position eligibility.

It's just my opinion.

Now, if you told me that gorman would stick at 3rd, then it'd prolly be 1A and 1B.

Good problem to have i suppose, considering there really isny much talent in the system after those two.

Tags:

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

go birds wrote:That's fair, but carlson is the better prospect right now due to the numbers hes putting up and his proximity to the majors.

Not to mention his position eligibility.

It's just my opinion.

Now, if you told me that gorman would stick at 3rd, then it'd prolly be 1A and 1B.

Good problem to have i suppose, considering there really isny much talent in the system after those two.
And Montero. Beyond those three, no there's not much impact talent in the minors.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Carlson at #38 in BP's top 50. Gorman at #14.
Why he’ll succeed: The Cardinals Devil Magic has conjured another potential plus outfielder from its cauldron of mystery. Carlson always had first-round tools, but didn’t have the performance to match. Nonetheless, St. Louis pushed the 20-year-old to Double-A and he responded, flashing above-average offensive tools and an overall balanced profile. He’s even playing mostly center field too, because why not?

Why he might fail: Perhaps the Cards can use the same Harrison Bader serum to make Carlson a good everyday center fielder, but it’s more likely he ends up in a corner outfield spot, and by this point in our Midseason 50 blurbs, you know what that means.
https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news ... season-50/

PA_Hiker
Everyday Player

Post by PA_Hiker »

It should be noted for the "Gorman will be a 1B" crowd that the best publicly available data we have rates him a pretty good defender at 3B. He has been especially good at turning double plays.

As of right now I'd put Gorman in the top 20 and Carlson safely in the top 50 overall. Montero and Knizner should be back end top 100 guys with Montero particularly having a chance to rate higher if he can get healthy this year. Ivan Herrera is a name that doesn't get enough credit...he's more than held his own at Peoria as a C and he's even younger than Gorman.

jack76
Everyday Player

Post by jack76 »

Does anyone think Carlson gets a cup of coffee this fall or does he get pushed back to 2020?

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

jack76 wrote:Does anyone think Carlson gets a cup of coffee this fall or does he get pushed back to 2020?
No chance.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

june 2020 at the earliest...but most likely september callup imo

PA_Hiker
Everyday Player

Post by PA_Hiker »

Next year the number of callups will be significantly reduced thanks to the new roster rules. 26 active, 28 Max in September. Prospects will be the ones left out. Carlson may be good enough to get a call anyway, but it will be something worth watching for all teams going forward.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

He has a .757 OPS in the minors and is 20 years old, what makes anyone think he's close to ready? late 2021 or 2022 is his likely entry to MLB. His power numbers are way up because of his really high triples count. That shows great speed, sure, but Springfield is a cracker jack park.

Hammons Field leads the Texas League almost yearly in home runs and Carlson has hit 8 there. 315 foot wall is a joke.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

He's OPSing .890 in 358 PAs at AA as a 20 year old.