MMA Thread II

A forum for non-baseball sports
Michael
GRB Founder

Re: MMA Thread II

Post by Michael »

thrill wrote:
Michael wrote:UFC 239 is very uninspired. I just hope Masvidal stomps Askren. That's about it.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Going in to the fight I thought Askren was overrated based on the Lawler fight and I thought his trash talking was corny. Conversely I love Masvidal's menacing street philosopher angle.

All that said, Askren won me over as a person (not as a contender) with this Monday post fight interview:

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Haven't paid much if any attention to MMA in a while and didn't even know who Askren was, but just watched the highlight of the fight. Dayum.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Haven't paid much if any attention to MMA in a while and didn't even know who Askren was, but just watched the highlight of the fight. Dayum.
Askren was a legendary collegiate wrestler at Mizzou, was on the Olympic team and then transitioned to MMA but fought in other non-UFC promotions. Undefeated, championship belts, etc. He's a smart jock who thinks he's smart smart. He's not. He's a MAGA guy who thinks being a constant contrarian makes him smart and just never shuts up. Jorge Masvidal is a Miami dude who came up street fighting in the same back yards as Kimbo Slice. Transitioned to MMA, has had some up's and downs, but has over 50 fights.

Basically one was an overrated suburban keyboard warrior trash talker with one great skill and the other dude is a street fighter who takes trash talk personally and doesn't play around.

If they fought again, I'm pretty sure Masvidal wins, but it's not a given. This KO was a fluke and just an unbelievable moment of sports karma. To give Askren credit, he really is smarter than most fighters/jocks, and his trash talk is usually pretty fun and not hateful. He's just an antagonist. The frustrating thing is when he signed with the UFC, it looked like we'd finally get to see how good he actually is, and we still have no idea because both of fights ended in incredibly fluky ways.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

The UFC is putting together Cowboy Cerrone v Justin Gaethje for September 14. My birthday is September 18. Coincidence? Maybe. Thank you, Dana White, you magnificent douche bag.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I think Gaethje wins that one, but it should be a banger.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

He's hilariously arrogant and dumb.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I'm looking forward to his insincere and manipulative comments about Jesus and Christianity.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Great card this weekend. Unfortunately I'll be out of town so I'll miss it. Picks that will most certainly be wrong:

Cormier
Pettis
Romero

They are the betting favorites, so I'm not exactly going out on a limb here. That said, I think Diaz and Costa winning would be make some future match-ups more interesting. Particularly Costa so I'll be rooting for him. Although I'm not a sports gambler, I think Cormier's -145 betting line actually underrates his chances.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Stipe
Diaz
Romero

I don't know why I'm taking Stipe other than a feeling. Very hard to pick against DC when he's mauled everyone he's fought not named Jon Jones. Diaz-Pettis is a tough one for me to call. Pettis is a better finisher, but he takes so much damage even when he wins. Nate is indestructible, almost impossible to finish. His cardio is better, so he'll win a decision on points. It's going to be an absolute dog fight tho.

Romero? Costa ain't ready. KO city in that one if Romero's heart is remotely in it.

Also really looking forward to Raphael Assuncao vs. Cory Sandhagen on the pre-lims. Formerly elite gatekeeper v the up and coming, hyper-confident young guy. I'll go Assuncao just for his experience, but I don't feel strongly.