Ten hot dogs, eight buns

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Re: Ten hot dogs, eight buns

Post by G. Keenan »

33anda3rd wrote:
Smith Corks One wrote:Just curious - what’s the Chicago pizza that the locals love?
Tavern Cut all day bay-bay!!!!!! I like mine w/ sausage and onion and a big ol' plastic deli thing of giardiniera on the side. We don't eat that swill that's mostly anchored to Michigan Avenue or the Lincoln Park Zoo.
Yup, tavern style all the way. That is by far the most common style of pizza here. Nobody who lives in Chicago actually eats deep dish pizza except for when they have friends or relatives in town, when for some reason they take them to eat a style of pizza that they never eat the other 364 days of the year.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Radbird wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:Is that Baltimore dog real?
Yes, and they're delicious! There's a row of locally-famous delis that all serve a dog in that style.
Isn't bologna wrapped around a hot dog redundant?
So much great food is redundant. Mac and cheese + two more cheeses = three-cheese mac and cheese. Sausage pizza + 2 more kinds of pork = Meat Lovers Pizza(TM). Shellfish stock + lots of fish/shellfish = bouillabaisse. Chicken + chicken gravy. Eggs Benedict is an egg-based sauce over eggs.

Depending on one's tastes--does one like complexity in food or do one's tastes run toward fairly simple--these could be a really great thing or a really bad thing.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

I want 33s 36 hours in Chicago. Or 60 really.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

I had three heart attacks looking at that hot dog chart but I still want some coneys.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

lukethedrifter wrote:I want 33s 36 hours in Chicago. Or 60 really.
I started to put this in a NY Times-ish "Friday 9AM...." format, then tossed it. Some stuff we'd do would include....
[SHOW]
Semirami's for Middle Eastern. We're getting hummus and the whole roasted chicken with garlic cream sauce for starters. I brought a bottle of champagne to pair.

Kayak the north branch of the Chicago River

Improvised Shakespeare at iO

Red Hot Ranch. In N Out style burgers, dogs, fries.

Green City Farmers Market. Eat some fruit, maybe some bread from Middlebrow, chat with all the farmers and chefs about what's seasonal and what they're into. Head back to my place and I make dinner.

Bike the 2.5 hours each way to Three Floyds for a couple beers, make a detour to Calumet Fisheries for some smoked shrimp and smoked chub.

Walking tour of Wicker Park, Bucktown, Logan Square. I go on about how over there is where Liz Phair took the photo booth pics for Guyville, over here was John McIntyre's studio where everyone from Tortoise to Broken Social Scene recorded with him. Over here is where the Double Door was, saw the Stones there in 1997. These are the "Ganley" buildings that were built by Jimmy Ganley and Larry Friend as basically a favor to Rostenkowski to interrupt public housing in Rosty's district during the first wave of gentrificatrion, now the neighborhood is littered with these bland brick 3-flats and BTW here's an image of the district, see how it was very neatly gerrymandered to give Rosty that space and that development? We walk the row of lofts along Milwaukee where you could see a punk or hip-hop show and buy a keg cup for $3 in the late 90s. We pop into Saint Alfred, the OG streetwear/fancy sneaker shop for Chicago cool kids in the skateboarding and/or hip hop crowd, maybe Joey Purp is there, maybe Chance, they're around there a lot. We go up through Logan Square to see the development that has blown up. Mostly I grouse about how my neighborhood has been ruined.

Dinner at Lula Cafe, the OG Chicago farm-to-table restaurant.

Late night movie at the Music Box in the big theater so we can hear the guy play the organ before the film.

Lunch at Cafe Marie-Jeanne, everyone's favorite all-day spot.

Garfield Park Conservatory.

Taco tour, mini version (the whole 60 hours could be Mexican food.)
Birierria Zaragoza - John and his fam make goat, goat consomme, and tortillas. That's it. It's incredible.
Don Pedro Carnitas - They sell three things. Carnitas by the pound, carnitas tacos, crispy brain tacos and the brain sells out if you're not there early.
Gorditas la Tia Susy - Durango style burrito.

Stony Island Arts Bank Project of Theaster Gates. Really dope.

Drive up Lake Shore Drive, observe the architecture and the lake.

Weekly Sunday Chef BBQ at Sportsman's Club. Drink like a half-rack of High Lifes, eat whatever the guest chef is putting out.

Delilah's for whiskey.

Lost Lake for tiki.

Scofflaw for gin.

Best Intentions for a copious amount of Coors Banquet Beer on draft and some shots of Angostura Bitters, also on draft.

International Museum Of Surgical Science. They got dope stuff here. An iron lung. An old apothecary. Trephined skulls--look that [expletive] up. It's where witch doctors drilled holes in peoples' skulls to let the headaches out and you can see where the skulls started growing back together, like these people lived with holes in their heads for a while. Bonkers [expletive] at this place.

3RUM2, the Chicago bartenders weekly basketball game Monday at noon. I'll point out the one guy I [expletive] hate. I need you to screen him really hard. We all hate him, so it's fine. You can probably tell already who he is by his stupid haircut.

Publican Quality Meats, we get a table then just point at the charcuterie cooler and say "all of it."

Modern wing of the Art Institute and Millennium Park just outside. If you're here this summer, the Virgil Abloh show at MCA is dope. We go across the street to the Chicago Athletic Association, have a cocktail at Cindy's on the Rooftop and count the pretty girls wearing sunhats indoors at night.

Tavern cut pizza at side street saloon.

I would take you to meet my friend Chris Chacko, who if you like coffee will, no BS, change your life.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

G. Keenan wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
Smith Corks One wrote:Just curious - what’s the Chicago pizza that the locals love?
Tavern Cut all day bay-bay!!!!!! I like mine w/ sausage and onion and a big ol' plastic deli thing of giardiniera on the side. We don't eat that swill that's mostly anchored to Michigan Avenue or the Lincoln Park Zoo.
Yup, tavern style all the way. That is by far the most common style of pizza here. Nobody who lives in Chicago actually eats deep dish pizza except for when they have friends or relatives in town, when for some reason they take them to eat a style of pizza that they never eat the other 364 days of the year.
Bunch of high priority meetings first-thing this morning. The amount of hot giardiniera I dumped on my tavern style pizza already covered in spicy Italian pork products was a huge mistake. I blame this series of posts for my undeniable craving that has lead to such a miserable morning. I hope you're pleased with yourselves.

My b hole feels like my avatar looks.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

thrill wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
Bunch of high priority meetings first-thing this morning. The amount of hot giardiniera I dumped on my tavern style pizza already covered in spicy Italian pork products was a huge mistake. I blame this series of posts for my undeniable craving that has lead to such a miserable morning. I hope you're pleased with yourselves.

Now I know what I'm having for dinner tonight. I can sleep it off tomorrow morning.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

thrill wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:

Have you moved back to Peoria yet? I know it's not "tavern style", but I'm a fan of Hoops pizza.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

stlouie_lipp wrote:Have you moved back to Peoria yet? I know it's not "tavern style", but I'm a fan of Hoops pizza.
Yeah. I've eaten Hoops many times, but never sober. Good to know it's still good when you're not using it to soak up your night's alcohol intake.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

stlouie_lipp wrote:
thrill wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:

Have you moved back to Peoria yet? I know it's not "tavern style", but I'm a fan of Hoops pizza.
Hoops is good but I love Monical’s.