Dogs

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Re: Dogs

Post by cardsfantx »

Wait...so I’m whipping my dogs ass or leaving him outside in the heat?

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Not Freeds best take.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

cardsfantx wrote:Wait...so I’m whipping my dogs ass or leaving him outside in the heat?
I had scolding in there . Yeah, the treats in the crate would work too. Dogs have evolved to please humans.

Just asking, do you latch the cage shut, or is the dog just going in to hang out, lay on pillow for a while?

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

I hate crates. Just my opinion.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Lots of anthropomorphism going on.

Did you guys see that baboon disappearing card video?

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Freed Roger wrote:
cardsfantx wrote:Wait...so I’m whipping my dogs ass or leaving him outside in the heat?
I had scolding in there . Yeah, the treats in the crate would work too. Dogs have evolved to please humans.

Just asking, do you latch the cage shut, or is the dog just going in to hang out, lay on pillow for a while?
ahhh, yes, my bad...I’m whipping my dogs ass, leaving him outside in the heat, or scolding him...that's why he wants to go in his crate.

if it was latched, how would he go and hang out in there like I mentioned? no, it's open. it's where he sleeps (and every dog I've owned), and just hangs out to have some "him" time. and our kids aren't allowed in there with him (which is harder than it would seem; but...when they're toddlers?)...that's his space. just like they're not allowed to go in each others rooms without permission and [expletive] stuff up. it's their room.

now we do latch the door when the cleaning lady comes. he's actually the sweetest dog we've ever owned and wouldn't hurt anyone, but not everyone is comfortable having a 150 lb dog watching you, and I'm not going to put anyone in a situation where they're uncomfortable.

I'd question you/your behavior if your dog hates being in a crate...like I said in my experience, they love their kennel. it's their room, where they can be left alone if they want to be. never had a dog that hated it. now I've never had a rescue dog...I guess if it's previous owner beat it/never paid it attention/abandoned it, then being in a "cage" could probably cause some distress, I could imagine. not knowing if an owner would ever come back.

but all of my dogs, we've gotten them as soon as we were able (picked every dog we've even owned they day they were born)...so we're all they've ever known really.

now, if that's your situation; you've had them since practically the beginning? why would they hate their home/kennel? what are you doing that they think you're not going to come back/care for them/feed them/love them?

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

CardsofSTL wrote:I hate crates. Just my opinion.
I've seen the videos...you seemed to enjoy yourself.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

kinda surprised to hear the crate hate. obviously all situations are unique, but the point is to give your little furry friend a safe space.

and also a place to put the puppy version of them so they dont absolutely go bananas on your place when you're not around.

My older dog loved his crate once he realized it was a good thing and not a restraint or punishment.

Anyway, i think i'm going to have to invest in some soundproofing. I left earlier to grab coffee and was gone for aw=bout 15 minutes and the pup was still whining when i returned. Not sure if its going to be one of those "she will eventually get bored/tired and give up" scenarios.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Guilty. Supposedly as a baby I would crawl over and lay in Snoopy's dog bed. (Ah [expletive] there goes 1/3rd of my security question answers).

And all my dogs have had middle names and multiple nicknames.

And our current pair does a family howl with me to mark occassions.

That all said- Does it get more anthropomorphic than "my dog loves it's cage. It is home"

....Other than my "my dog loves mushy ribs?"

Also, back to Go Birds- dogs are trainable to do a lot of things - I suspect any dog that can be crate trained can also be trained to live in home sans crate without destroying the place.

What sort of breed Go Birds? Some types just struggle with it.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Freed Roger wrote:Guilty. Supposedly as a baby I would crawl over and lay in Snoopy's dog bed. (Ah [expletive] there goes 1/3rd of my security question answers).

And all my dogs have had middle names and multiple nicknames.

And our current pair does a family howl with me to mark occassions.

That all said- Does it get more anthropomorphic than "my dog loves it's cage"? Other than my "my dog loves mushy ribs?"

Also, back to Go Birds- dogs are trainable to do a lot of things - I suspect any dog that can be crate trained can also be trained to live in home sans crate without destroying the place.

What sort of breed Go Birds? Some types just don't go for it.
Shes a bernedoodle--i sound so manly when i say that.

There's no doubt she will warm up to it, but it's the interim i'm worried about. Sound carries throughout this building.