Rant: No Caffeine

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: Rant: No Caffeine

Post by CardsofSTL »

I feel like if I gave up caffeine I'd have to start heroin.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

lukethedrifter wrote:It’s interesting but caffeine doesn’t seem to greatly affect me & I like it that way. 5-6 cups of joe a day for me. And i like it.
i feel the same way.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

I lied. I poop so good after my first sip of coffee. Talk about interesting, the caffeine hasn’t had a chance to hit my gut, yet i can feel the rumblings of the first peristaltic wave.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

hah thats true too

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

lukethedrifter wrote:I lied. I poop so good after my first sip of coffee. Talk about interesting, the caffeine hasn’t had a chance to hit my gut, yet i can feel the rumblings of the first peristaltic wave.
It's not only, or mainly, the caffeine. Via evolution we and other animals are averse to bitter, because a lot of things in nature that will kill us are bitter. Freed's Big Galoot would never eat something on the ground that he sniffed and found to be bitter. So, bitter--coffee, hoppy beers, bitter salad greens, amaro, vermouth--are acquired tastes. People often ask me if amaro/vermouth really works as a digestive after a big meal. They do, and that's why: we blast our palate with bitter, our body goes on high alert because it's encountered bitter (a non-deadly one, but still), our salivary glands fire, our digestive system fires, that big meal doesn't make us so uncomfortable because our digestive system got put on alert that it needs to work OT. Same thing with coffee--it's the bitter on your palate and aromatically informing you via the taste aspect of aroma, and that's firing your digestive system. It's not the caffeine that makes you poop.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

33anda3rd wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:I lied. I poop so good after my first sip of coffee. Talk about interesting, the caffeine hasn’t had a chance to hit my gut, yet i can feel the rumblings of the first peristaltic wave.
It's not only, or mainly, the caffeine. Via evolution we and other animals are averse to bitter, because a lot of things in nature that will kill us are bitter. Freed's Big Galoot would never eat something on the ground that he sniffed and found to be bitter. So, bitter--coffee, hoppy beers, bitter salad greens, amaro, vermouth--are acquired tastes. People often ask me if amaro/vermouth really works as a digestive after a big meal. They do, and that's why: we blast our palate with bitter, our body goes on high alert because it's encountered bitter (a non-deadly one, but still), our salivary glands fire, our digestive system fires, that big meal doesn't make us so uncomfortable because our digestive system got put on alert that it needs to work OT. Same thing with coffee--it's the bitter on your palate and aromatically informing you via the taste aspect of aroma, and that's firing your digestive system. It's not the caffeine that makes you poop.
Sounds right to me. To further, my coffee is black to maximize bitterness.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

I love dark roast coffee. Black. 2-4 cups a day for me.

The ensuing poop is quite glorious.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Donnie Ebert wrote:But I do miss iced tea in the summer and a hot cup of strong black tea in the morning when the weather cools down, so I'm sure I'll be lured back into caffeine's jittery embrace at some point.
For the past six months or so I've been drinking tea at work instead of soda at work because I got sick of paying so much for a bottle of soda. Soda is $1.65 after tax for a 20oz bottle but tea bags are free in the break rooms so I developed a nice little system to make iced tea rather than hot. I have a large insulated RTIC cup so I fill that with ice, place a couple of teabags on top of the ice and then run the hot water from the coffee machine spigot directly over the tea bags. Not the best tea ever but it is decent enough and I don't have to wait for it to steep and then try and pour it from one container to another at my desk which always has the potential for a mess.

Anyway, a few weeks ago I was wondering about my caffeine intake since normally I was drinking Sprite at work which doesn't have any caffeine when I finally paid attention to the tea bags and noticed that the packaging says the tea is caffeine free. I didn't know that was even a thing.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

tlombard wrote:tea bags are free in the break room
brb

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Was having a lot of headaches so gave up coffee for 3 months (Apr-June). Headaches gone. Felt great. For some reason I starting drinking it again this month. More headaches but not as bad as before. Now cutting back to one or two cups to see if that helps.