St Louis Blues Greatest Offseason Thread Ever

A forum for non-baseball sports
JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Re: St Louis Blues Greatest Offseason Thread Ever

Post by JCShutout »

Schmaltz going the other way. Theohall on LGB posted a couple of nice write-ups on Borgman.

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/toro ... -prospects

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2018 ... tats-video

Left D with some offensive upside and good hitting. Not the fastest skater but not a pylon. Not a booming shot but can play some offense. The writers in those articles see him as a guy who should be an effective 3rd pairing Dman, (not a journeyman) with possible top4 upside who is blocked by a lot of LD depth in Toronto. Clearly the Blues are prepping for Edmundson to leave by acquiring Borgman, Pouliot and resigning BoomBoom. I'm a little concerned about RD depth and would like another option there now that Schmaltz is gone, but its not like Schmaltz was a good option this past year anyways. I guess they figure Reinke is ready if someone goes down on the right side. /knock on wood

EDIT: Reading twitter comments, someone suggested this might have been a cap move, since Schmaltz was guaranteed cap hit ($700k) and Borgman isn't. So maybe its prepping to KEEP Edmundson.

EDIT2: JR says if Schmaltz was in San Antonio, he wouldn't have counted against the cap, so I'm back to thinking this is prep for Eddy to leave.

JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls

Post by JackofDiamonds »

Still waiting to see what happens with Maroon - he should pull a Freese and get out of dodge. Never going to top what happened this year and he's not going to be worth whatever he makes on the market.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Seems like the market has looked at him and decided that maybe he's not worth that much.

JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls

Post by JackofDiamonds »

Popeye_Card wrote:Seems like the market has looked at him and decided that maybe he's not worth that much.
And not worth that much may still be too much. His streak in the playoffs was fully thanks to a healthy Thomas driving play. Hopefully Army doesn't give him a "thanks for winning the cup" contract and block anyone coming up.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

JackofDiamonds wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:Seems like the market has looked at him and decided that maybe he's not worth that much.
And not worth that much may still be too much. His streak in the playoffs was fully thanks to a healthy Thomas driving play. Hopefully Army doesn't give him a "thanks for winning the cup" contract and block anyone coming up.
If Army was going to do that, he would have already. I'll bet we basically offered Maroon the same contract, take it or leave it. (He's worth that) I read a few weeks ago that he's wanting multiple years. Probably a lot of one year offers.

Something useful about having him around: Keeps some kids from playing in enough games to be exposed to Seattle in a couple of years. If you can play them just enough so you don't have to expose them (I can't remember how many games qualify, 70? 80? then you don't have to protect guys like Blais, Sanford (maybe), or Kyrou

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

* All first- and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits.

In addition, all NHL teams must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the draft:

* One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

* Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Here Are All The People Who Complained To The FCC About The St. Louis Blues Saying "[expletive]"
https://deadspin.com/here-are-all-the-p ... 1836795744

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Jocephus wrote:
Here Are All The People Who Complained To The FCC About The St. Louis Blues Saying "[expletive]"
https://deadspin.com/here-are-all-the-p ... 1836795744
Expletive those whiners.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

lukethedrifter wrote:* All first- and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits.
I saw that, but is there some determination of games played in a year that denotes a "year" played? Like with rookies, where if you play under 25 games in your "first" season, you're still a rookie in your "second" season.

If its playing in any number of games, then I'd sign Maroon and keep Kyrou buried all year, so that next year is his "second" season, so he isn't eligible in the 2021 expansion draft. (He's only 21, so its not like another year in the minors will stunt him too bad)

The Blues will already have to leave some good players available, assuming they protect...

Tarasenko, O'Reilly, Schwartz, Schenn (hoping for a resign), Thomas, Sundqvist and Barbashev on the forward side and Petro (hoping for a resign), Parayko, Dunn and Binner at D and G.

(I'll bet part of why we are keeping Allen is to keep Husso and other goalies buried long enough that we don't have to expose them in 2021. That and its good depth to have two good goalies)

With Steen, Bozak and Gunnar's contracts expiring that offseason, that leaves Perron, Sanford, Blais, Fabbri, Bortuzzo, possibly Edmundson if we don't trade him, and a bunch of role players.

If I'm Seattle, I'd take Kyrou before any of those guys, (or anyone on our protected list if we protected Kyrou over them) so if I'm the Blues, I find a way to keep Kyrou buried just long enough so that I don't lose him (or one of the other important forwards) in 21.

If I'm Seattle, I probably take Sanford from that current list, though the next couple of years could change that.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Anyone think Savard can jumpstart our power play? I'm optimistic.