Bad Movies You Like

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Bad Movies You Like

Post by vinsanity »

Saw this XKCD comic today and I thought it was an interesting exercise.

It's hard to think back on movies I liked but were forgettable since 2000, I wonder if I can find a way to search all movies that fit that criteria and skim the list. This is the closest I could find; https://flickmetrix.com/

I didn't think this year's Hellboy was the atrocity some do, I had fun watching it.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Re: Bad Movies You Like

Post by heyzeus »

This is hard. I really have a soft spot for the movie PCU, which has a 47% on the tomatometer, but it came out in 1993.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

heyzeus wrote:This is hard. I really have a soft spot for the movie PCU, which has a 47% on the tomatometer, but it came out in 1993.
I think it's hard for two reasons as an adult. As we grow up (especially us film snobs), we can sniff crap pretty quick. Everyone knew Grown Ups 2 was going to be crap so we avoid it.

But by avoiding movies we're pretty sure are going to bad, I think we miss out on some movies that may entertain you even if they aren't considered good.

That got me thinking of camp like Happy Death Day or Game Night - both movies I had fun watching even if they aren't the zenith of film making but both of those are pretty high on Rotten Tomatoes, so I wonder if 50% isn't too low of a bar, given there's a group that'll enjoy anything.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Anchorman 2 is generally not liked, particularly in comparison to the original. But I think it is great. Particularly how it parodies Fox News / CNN 24-hour news channels. I even like the ridiculous shark storyline.

The Day After Tomorrow is terrible in so many ways, which is why I love watching it.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

Guess this going to be own live blog of searching; the original Saw is only at 49%.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

Popeye_Card wrote:Anchorman 2 is generally not liked, particularly in comparison to the original. But I think it is great. Particularly how it parodies Fox News / CNN 24-hour news channels. I even like the ridiculous shark storyline.

The Day After Tomorrow is terrible in so many ways, which is why I love watching it.
Curiously, Anchorman 2 is certified fresh and Anchorman is not - https://www.rottentomatoes.com/search/?search=Anchorman

I wonder if the 2000 deadline makes it harder because all the good camp of disaster movies and 90's action that kind of holds up as 'so bad it's good' gets cut out. For instance, Armageddon. The Day After Tomorrow is a good one.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

The Counselor

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

MacGruber

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

this is easy for me, considering most movies i love get terrible reviews...

off the top of my head...

comedy - the new vacation movie is prob in my top 5 of all time comedy movies...i love it that much and watch it often. how this is 27% confuses the [expletive] out of me.

drama - passengers (the one with chris pratt)

action - king arthur-legend of the sword. i'm a guy ritchie fan.

chick flick - this means war. also a tom hardy fan.

kids movie - tomorrowland (this is exactly 50%; does that count since it's not "below" 50%?)

i'll post a lot more i'm sure...

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

speaking of tom hardy; venom (29%)