What are people's expectations of Alex Reyes, going forward?

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball

Reaches ace/#1 starter level and stays there
3%
Reaches ace/#1 starter level but briefly due to injuries/inconsistency
6%
Settles in as a mid-tier starter and stays there
12%
Settles in as a mid-tier starter but again with the injuries
15%
Bottom of the rotation starter
No votes
Never makes enough starts in a season to be considered a regular in the rotation
64%

Total votes: 33

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

I suppose there are other options, but (shrug emoji)

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: What are people's expectations of Alex Reyes, going forw

Post by CardsofSTL »

I see him as a good solid mid tier starter right now...maybe he will perform above those expectations; he certainly has the talent to get to that ace level; but it doesn't seem like it is all going to fit together for him. I do think he will be solid in the rotation and maybe show some occasional flashes of brilliance.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Going with mid-tier starter. I believe the "worst" is over with some of his injuries. And that they were flukes.

I'm being way optimistic here though. I think it's his ceiling. But I think he can reach it. We already lost the best of his trade value so let's hope he ends up being what we all wanted. In the "opener" era, if Reyes can give us 4 IP with 6 Ks and 1 walk and 1 ER...then you gotta take it.

I think he gives us Lance Lynn-esque value, ultimately.

(Don't bump this post when he bombs)

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

He's thrown ~70 IP in the last 2.5 years, and he had significant control worries before the multiple injuries that are either still there or made worse by the lost time. He turns 25 in a few weeks, which isn't old by any stretch but definitely limits the amount of development you can expect before his physical gifts plateau/start to decline. I think you have to cut bait on the idea of him as a starter so you have more time where he might be able to add value in the pen. You hope for an outcome similar to what Brandon Morrow did when he got healthy and gave up the ghost on starting.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Anything above respectable major leaguer in any capacity would be a bonus at this point. Control issues have always plagued him. Injury issues are compounding that. Even age is starting to become a factor, to a small extent. I went into this season believing this was something of a make-or-break season for him. He was both ineffective at MLB and AAA levels, then lost his cool, then came down injured. He broke. In the worst possible way.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

His floor is very low at this point. That's for sure.

Interesting side poll question: How many innings will it take for Dakota Hudson to match Alex Reyes's current career WAR output?
Last edited by Big Amoco Sign on August 5 19, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

i expect him to get traded to the astros where his potential will finally be realized

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

I don't know if any of the poll options fully reflect my expectations. Occasionally excellent, yet consistently inconsistent due to losing the development time where most pitchers are able to refine control issues that have been his big question mark.

I mean, you look at what he was able to do in the minors last year during his rehab (23 IP, 44 K's, 0.609 WHIP) and know that the upper-end talent is there. But then you have what he has done this season...woof.

Basically I don't think he'll ever "settle in" as anything. Ace-type stuff, but never ace-type dependability.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Popeye_Card wrote:I don't know if any of the poll options fully reflect my expectations. Occasionally excellent, yet consistently inconsistent due to losing the development time where most pitchers are able to refine control issues that have been his big question mark.

I mean, you look at what he was able to do in the minors last year during his rehab (23 IP, 44 K's, 0.609 WHIP) and know that the upper-end talent is there. But then you have what he has done this season...woof.

Basically I don't think he'll ever "settle in" as anything. Ace-type stuff, but never ace-type dependability.
sounds like a right-handed robbie ray

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

It's tough to have any expectations.

But my guess is often injured mid-rotation pitcher.