a_smith
Perennial All-Star

Re: Matt Carpenter update

Post by a_smith »

Medwick's_Ghost wrote:
a_smith wrote:
Medwick's_Ghost wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:
ShildtForBrains wrote:3 rbi on 2 hits vs ABQ the other night. Maybe he's worked out whatever was bothering him.

Without Gyorko as a late season option for depth, Carp might be needed. (for better or worse)
Carp is definitely needed...Edman is not a long term solution. I like Edman a lot as a fill in or back up utility player; but we need a productive Carpenter to even have an outside chance of postseason.
How can you say Tommy isn't a long term solution??? He's better and younger. Better and younger is by FAR preferable to older and fading. How can there even be an argument on the issue?
Hey Ducky. How's the spirit world? Can you send down the ghost of Stan? Cardinal nation is not the same without him. I completely agree with you. Edman is much better at helping the cards lose so we can finally tank. That is an excellent plan. If only you wrote a screenplay about it before you became a ghost. You could have called it Major League and made a fortune.
This post confound's me. Can you state your stance with a little less cuteness?

BTW, on "send down Stan"...the spirit world is not up or down. It exists on this plane. Musial hangs out around the batting cage.
Ahh that is where I saw him. I was working on my stance, as I felt a bit off balance, but alas I got distracted by the thoughts of tanking and joy of seeing Edman in the outfield. Your tanking plan is working. We have an outfielder who has not played in the OF since he was 12. Not bad for having a good tank job. Not only are you a ghost you are also psychic. Now, if only we could get Munoz and wong in the OF as well.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Medwick's_Ghost wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:
ShildtForBrains wrote:3 rbi on 2 hits vs ABQ the other night. Maybe he's worked out whatever was bothering him.

Without Gyorko as a late season option for depth, Carp might be needed. (for better or worse)
Carp is definitely needed...Edman is not a long term solution. I like Edman a lot as a fill in or back up utility player; but we need a productive Carpenter to even have an outside chance of postseason.
How can you say Tommy isn't a long term solution??? He's better and younger. Better and younger is by FAR preferable to older and fading. How can there even be an argument on the issue?
It's fairly simple to say. A productive Carpenter is better than a productive Edman.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

CardsofSTL wrote:
Medwick's_Ghost wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:

It's fairly simple to say. A productive Carpenter is better than a productive Edman.
Plus, there is begging the question about what is meant by "long-term solution." What do we mean--through August, the rest of the season, or the next five years?

If Carpenter is toast, Edman's background suggests that he would be a temporary fill-in rather than heir apparent as third baseman. You're looking at below-average third-base production for the remainder of the season, and needing to make a move in the off-season to fill the sinkhole.

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

During this disaster of a season, Carpenter's on-base is nearly 40 points higher than Edman's.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

I don't think its fair to compare Carpenter and Edman; though I know that is what people are doing. Edman is a sub; not a full time replacement. He's doing okay; he would not be what we would need if Carpenter was totally done; which I don't think he is. If he gets good and hot down the stretch we might have enough to win the division; I don't think our pitching gets us very deep into the post season though; but I would not call that a disaster of a season.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Edman is also a rookie. Would Carpenter in his rookie season have been as productive as Edman has been in his rookie season?

ShildtForBrains
Single A Minor League Player

Post by ShildtForBrains »

Wow. Having a guy hitting .200 as the lead-off hitter. Is it too late to change my screen name?

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

ShildtForBrains wrote:Wow. Having a guy hitting .200 as the lead-off hitter. Is it too late to change my screen name?
JoeMcKim wrote:Edman is also a rookie. Would Carpenter in his rookie season have been as productive as Edman has been in his rookie season?
Carpenter can bat .190 leadoff and these are still two incredibly bad takes.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Marp simply has a more refined batting eye. He can work a count just by standing in the box. Foul a couple off, and he's almost guaranteed a full count. That's making a pitcher work; that's allowing your team to see what the pitcher has. On the other hand, teams can see a guys flaws over and over on tape, and Marp is struggling. So they're attacking him a bit, and as someone who's tasted success you start to bite on those early meatballs. But when you're out of sinc, those end up as pop-ups. He's chased his tail all season.

ShildtForBrains
Single A Minor League Player

Post by ShildtForBrains »

as opposed to the concept of depending on the lead off batter to get on base... i.e. - hits and walks