The unpopular opinion thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Re: The unpopular opinion thread

Post by Popeye_Card »

Maybe we should stop "rating" bands, and then not worry about if they are over or under rated.

If you like to listen to Tool, that's cool. If you like to listen to the Beatles too, that's just as cool. You don't have to rate them against each other.

There's plenty of music out there that I don't like. It is pretty easy to take care of that situation--they aren't on my iPod, and if they come on the radio I change the station. If I have no control over the noise coming into my ears, I just tune it out. I have years of practice doing that from having to listen to thousands of songs on my wife's iPod that I don't particularly enjoy.

Popeye_Card

Post by Popeye_Card »

Oh, and this may belong in the unpopular opinion thread--I still use an iPod and I love it. I don't really like using streaming services.

EDIT: I am also one of the 7 remaining Netflix DVD service subscribers (though I do utilize the streaming Netflix more).
Last edited by Popeye_Card on August 7 19, 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

i'm a huge DMB fan and i wouldn't argue they aren't overrated.

it's a shame though because the bands comprised of amazing musicians. but yea--the fans can be insufferable

Smith Corks One
All-Star

Post by Smith Corks One »

Popeye_Card wrote:Maybe we should stop "rating" bands, and then not worry about if they are over or under rated.

If you like to listen to Tool, that's cool. If you like to listen to the Beatles too, that's just as cool. You don't have to rate them against each other.

There's plenty of music out there that I don't like. It is pretty easy to take care of that situation--they aren't on my iPod, and if they come on the radio I change the station. If I have no control over the noise coming into my ears, I just tune it out. I have years of practice doing that from having to listen to thousands of songs on my wife's iPod that I don't particularly enjoy.
Sure, but then why talk about anything, ever, since the entirety of reality is experienced subjectively?

Popeye_Card

Post by Popeye_Card »

Smith Corks One wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:Maybe we should stop "rating" bands, and then not worry about if they are over or under rated.

Sure, but then why talk about anything, ever, since the entirety of reality is experienced subjectively?
I get that. I have just grown tired of overrated/underrated conversations in all areas. They are just passive aggressive ways of saying my taste is better than yours, or the general public’s, or whatever.

Pointing out bands/baseball players/restaurants/ whatever you think are under appreciated? Cool. But who really gives a [expletive] about a rating?

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

Popeye_Card wrote:Pointing out bands/baseball players/restaurants/ whatever you think are under appreciated? Cool. But who really gives a [expletive] about a rating?
Isn't that kind of the point of the unpopular opinion thread? You subjectively 'rate' something significantly lower or higher than a majority of people?

Popeye_Card

Post by Popeye_Card »

vinsanity wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:Pointing out bands/baseball players/restaurants/ whatever you think are under appreciated? Cool. But who really gives a [expletive] about a rating?
Isn't that kind of the point of the unpopular opinion thread? You subjectively 'rate' something significantly lower or higher than a majority of people?
Well clearly I have an unpopular opinion about ratings.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

vinsanity wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:Tool is really over rated.
This is a good one but my question would be, are they popular enough to be overrated or just have a passionate following? I think Pink Floyd and Phish are overrated but I think Phish and Tool are closely related.

I'm not sure if this is 'unpopular' or not but I think Tom Brady is the most overrated quarterback in the history of the NFL. It should be noted overrated doesn't mean bad, it means people consistently rate higher than deserved.
That's a good question. I guess I've always thought they were popular just because I have several friends that love them. Maybe they aren't as big as I think though and if that's the case then you are right.

This all stems from a discussion last night with a friend who said Tool was inspired by King Crimson and that no one would know who King Crimson is without tool. Which I thought was insane. Although I realize King Crimson are hardly popular.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

BTW, I'm not say tool is bad. In fact I think quite the opposite. They are terrific musicians who have made great songs. I just think they are over rated.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Being familiar with Tool is overrated.

For some reason I associate them with a Nickelback genre.

Ignorance is bliss in this realm, and unfamiliarity is underrated. BtW , I heard 1 second of that clowns Gods Country [expletive] song. Channel changed crisis averted.