bronoun enthusiast

Re: Rave: Community Colleges

Post by thrill »

Thanks bro

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

I tried to have a conversation with my daughter about going to CC instead of Mizzou. Her ACT scores were high enough (35, superscored) for nearly any top school in the country; her grades were well well below that (she found a way to blame me). Community college seemed like a great place for someone who is struggling to find themselves academically. She would have no part of it. Her mom told her she got to make the call so MU it was.

Without having a conversation and a plan, I opted out and made the offer to pay half the cost of St Louis CC.

Parenting fail rant: over.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

lukethedrifter wrote:I tried to have a conversation with my daughter about going to CC instead of Mizzou. Her ACT scores were high enough (35, superscored) for nearly any top school in the country; her grades were well well below that (she found a way to blame me). Community college seemed like a great place for someone who is struggling to find themselves academically. She would have no part of it. Her mom told her she got to make the call so MU it was.

Without having a conversation and a plan, I opted out and made the offer to pay half the cost of St Louis CC.

My story is exactly the same. I got a 33 and had grades that showed an obvious lack of motivation (a's in the classes I like, B, C, occasional D in classes I didn't like) in high school. No plan. Earlier I indicated I stayed with the local CC out of consideration to my parents money and while that was a consideration, really I just wasn't ready to leave my high school days behind.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

thrill wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:I tried to have a conversation with my daughter about going to CC instead of Mizzou. Her ACT scores were high enough (35, superscored) for nearly any top school in the country; her grades were well well below that (she found a way to blame me). Community college seemed like a great place for someone who is struggling to find themselves academically. She would have no part of it. Her mom told her she got to make the call so MU it was.

My story is exactly the same. I got a 33 and had grades that showed an obvious lack of motivation (a's in the classes I like, B, C, occasional D in classes I didn't like) in high school. No plan. Earlier I indicated I stayed with the local CC out of consideration to my parents money and while that was a consideration, really I just wasn't ready to leave my high school days behind.

Same reason she went to Mizzou. Just more $$$ and a massive sense of entitlement.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I can totally empathize with your daughter wanting to leave to a 4 year school. I felt like a total failure staying behind while many of my friends were moving on to the next chapters of their lives. In fact a big driver for me improving in school was to get the hell out of Rockford, IL. It’s shame such a consequential financial decision is thrust upon young people at such an early age.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Michael wrote:I can totally empathize with your daughter wanting to leave to a 4 year school. I felt like a total failure staying behind while many of my friends were moving on to the next chapters of their lives. In fact a big driver for me improving in school was to get the hell out of Rockford, IL. It’s shame such a consequential financial decision is thrust upon young people at such an early age.
I can understand it as well. I desperately wanted to get away myself as an 18 y/o. And, for her, I wanted her to go away, felt like she needed it to grow up. But MU is not nearly far enough. Same friends, etc. And more importantly she needed to tell me her plan to succeed where she hadn’t been. Lazy and a finger pointer isn’t a great way to enter adulthood.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

I don't know if it's still there, but there was definitely stigma attached to going to CC when I was in high school. 'Harvard on the Hill' and 'University of Oregon City' and so on. For kids who weren't smart or ambitious, basically. But that was when state school was 2000 percent cheaper or something, and I don't believe it's still the case, or at least it's less the case.