Songs that haven't aged well

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
baseburglerlou
Everyday Player

Re: Songs that haven't aged well

Post by baseburglerlou »

Interstate Love Song by STP. When that song came out I couldn't get enough of it. Now when it comes on I switch the station.

Smith Corks One
All-Star

Post by Smith Corks One »

G. Keenan wrote:
Smith Corks One wrote:I have no way of knowing how this song has actually aged, because I'm not old enough to know how it was received when it came out. But holy cow - every time I hear it, I cringe. I happen to think the Beatles are the greatest band of all time, but man does John lay the stalker/creep persona on thick with this one. Just the opening line along..."Well I'd rather see you dead, little girl, than to be with another man..."

Ha, yeah, John def had the more controlling machismo vibe of the four. Today we might call him a douche. No Reply is a great song, and totally not #metoo approved.
This happened once before
When I came to your door
No reply
They said it wasn't you
But I saw you peep through
Your window
I saw the light
I saw the light
I know that you saw me
'Cause I looked up to see
Your face

I tried to telephone
They said you were not home
That's a lie
'Cause I know where you've been
And I saw you walk in
Your door
I nearly died
I nearly died
'Cause you walked hand in hand
With another man
In my place

If I were you, I'd realize that I
Love you more than any other guy
And I'll forgive the lies that I
Heard before, when you gave me no reply
Yep. "You Can't Do That" is another good example. Hell, on the still-very-popular "Norwegian Wood," he burns her [expletive] house down because she didn't sleep with him.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:The Beatles worst. On an otherwise great Rubber Soul, the final song should have been left off.

Ten Years After's "I'd Love To Change the World" - have no idea how this dodged controversy then or especially when Jetta's cover was released in 2015.
Dammit.

Never really listened to the lyrics of I’d Love to Change the World even though i have it on vinyl.

Edit: not true. After a fresh listen i realize that I’ve listened to the lyrics dozens of times but guess i always assumed that Alvin Lee wasn’t actually worried about running out of rich people. Just assumed it was kind of a cool song with banal hippie lyrics.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

heyzeus wrote:I don't know If I've ever quite grasped the tone of Brown Sugar by the Rolling Stones - ie, whether it condemns or condones the story it tells. It's about slavery and rape and possibly pedophilia? Is it sung ironically and critical of slavery and sex slavery? Kinda unclear, which is troubling. But the fact that it's been used unironically in ads (memorably, Pepsi. Brown Sugar! Why do you taste so good!) makes me feel gross about the whole endeavor and I don't enjoy hearing it on the radio.
Gold Coast slave ship bound for cotton fields
Sold in the market down in New Orleans
Scarred old slaver knows he's doin' all right
Hear him whip the women just around midnight

Brown Sugar, how come you taste so good
Brown Sugar, just like a young girl should
Just a quick lyric correction, the bolded part is actually "Skydog slaver" as it is a reference to Dwayne Allman whose nickname was Skydog and who was at the Muscle Shoals recording session for Brown Sugar.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

lukethedrifter wrote:
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:The Beatles worst. On an otherwise great Rubber Soul, the final song should have been left off.

Ten Years After's "I'd Love To Change the World" - have no idea how this dodged controversy then or especially when Jetta's cover was released in 2015.
Dammit.

Never really listened to the lyrics of I’d Love to Change the World even though i have it on vinyl.

Edit: not true. After a fresh listen i realize that I’ve listened to the lyrics dozens of times but guess i always assumed that Alvin Lee wasn’t actually worried about running out of rich people. Just assumed it was kind of a cool song with banal hippie lyrics.
I am not so sure the meaning is all bad. Seems like he is just throwing out a bunch of sound bites and jingoistic solutions on topics of the time. Tax the rich feed the poor etc.

[expletive] and fairies not PC, but it was being thrown out as an issue - a thing people then (and now) were [expletive] about .

Then the conclusion to all these sound bite battles, is the song title with I don't know what to do, I leave it up to you.

I could be wrong.
Last edited by Freed Roger on August 8 19, 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

A long this line Merle Haggard went on to recant the Okie from Muskogee theme. Dude wasn't a right winger in the end. Same for Johnny Cash ,(there is an ok documentary on Netflix about vietnam era Cash and Nixon)

It seems these guys were musicians first, fiercely independent and didnt want their views twisted.
Last edited by Freed Roger on August 8 19, 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Here’s what I found on Songfacts
This song was written by guitarist Alvin Lee, who was the centerpiece of the group. "I'd love to change the world, but I don’t know what to do and I'll leave it up to you. I'm just saying the world does need changing," he said of the song in Vintage Rock. "I'd love to do it, but I haven't got the talent. I don't think I'm a world changer."
The song is a good look at what were considered the big problems in the world in 1971: overpopulation, economic inequality, pollution, war. Alvin Lee often said in later interviews that the song remained just as relevant despite the passage of time.
The first line in this song throws out a few slurs:

Every where is freaks and hairies, [expletive] and fairies

"Freaks" and "hairies" are terms that detractors used to describe the band - after all, they did play Woodstock. The [expletive] and fairies are likely a reflection on how others might see the world, and it also creates a memorable rhyme.

Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators

Post by Tambourine Man »

baseburglerlou wrote:Interstate Love Song by STP. When that song came out I couldn't get enough of it. Now when it comes on I switch the station.
Man, I used to love that song. Pretty sure I'd switch the station now, as well.