Former Cardinals Watch

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: Former Cardinals Watch

Post by Jocephus »

Sean
Zac Gallen looks like he has some really good upside. The fastball and changeup are both excellent pitches and he was using both his cutter and curveball very effectively last night. Where do you see his potential?

Craig Edwards
I think his potential is less in his upside and more in his floor. He's been missing bats, but walking a lot of guys too and his homers aren't going to stay this low forever. I think the strikeouts and walks will both get lower and he'll give up more homers, but should be a pretty reliable at least league average starter.
Jobu
Why did the Marlins trade Zac Gallen?

Craig Edwards
They are shooting for upside. We could argue they are selling high on Gallen, who a year and a half ago was the third player in the Ozuna trade and getting Jazz Chisolm, whose status has dropped a bit, but it still considered one of the better prospects in baseball. Eric talked about this a bit in his piece on the trade, but the Marlins are looking for stars. Gallen isn't likely to be a star, but Chisolm could be and those are the types of players the Marlins are looking for. They just need a couple guys to get there and then it is on them to supplement those stars with a decent roster instead of doing wht they did a few years ago. https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-marlins ... heir-type/

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Tommy Pham stats since trade a year ago:

.881 OPS
139 wRC+
5.1 WAR

Would lead the team in everything.

*Biggest sigh in the world*

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:Tommy Pham stats since trade a year ago:

.881 OPS
139 wRC+
5.1 WAR

Would he have played that well for the Cardinals? I haven't been following him at all since he left - what's his take on the Ray's management? He was such a red ass here, could that have gotten in his way?

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
Big Amoco Sign wrote:Tommy Pham stats since trade a year ago:

.881 OPS
139 wRC+
5.1 WAR

Would he have played that well for the Cardinals? I haven't been following him at all since he left - what's his take on the Ray's management? He was such a red ass here, could that have gotten in his way?
He was actually better with us.

He's a red ass because of MLB's pay structure. He bets on himself. A guy like that isn't going to let other [expletive] get to him between the lines because that's where he makes his money.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

This might belong in "Rants and Raves" but...

The Cardinals letting him rot for years in the minors (don't give me the eye [expletive], it's documented that it isn't affecting him and has been corrected--anyone OPSing that well and fielding that well and running that well can play blind for all I care) is the big problem I have with this org. Praying that Grichuk, Piscotty, Bader, and all these other flash in the pan "Cardinal Way" OFs will succeed and giving them chance after chance. Matheny riding "hot hand" because Pham goes 0 for 4 one night drove me up a damn wall. We gave so many ABs to [expletive] Mark Reynolds and Brandon Moss for no reason. Matt Adams in left field??? Jose Martinez over Pham??? God Mo has to go for that blunder alone. There's a reason Wainwright said he's a leader in the clubhouse. He gets instant respect from his teammates.

Never had an OPS below .840 above AA and usually hovered around .900. His home run against the Cubs in the NLDS was great too.

/rant

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:This might belong in "Rants and Raves" but...

The Cardinals letting him rot for years in the minors (don't give me the eye [expletive], it's documented that it isn't affecting him and has been corrected--anyone OPSing that well and fielding that well and running that well can play blind for all I care) is the big problem I have with this org. Praying that Grichuk, Piscotty, Bader, and all these other flash in the pan "Cardinal Way" OFs will succeed and giving them chance after chance. Matheny riding "hot hand" because Pham goes 0 for 4 one night drove me up a damn wall. We gave so many ABs to [expletive] Mark Reynolds and Brandon Moss for no reason. Matt Adams in left field??? Jose Martinez over Pham??? God Mo has to go for that blunder alone. There's a reason Wainwright said he's a leader in the clubhouse. He gets instant respect from his teammates.

Never had an OPS below .840 above AA and usually hovered around .900. His home run against the Cubs in the NLDS was great too.

/rant
Very likely that off the field reasons were a big part of Pham being traded.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Yup

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Don't care about Mo's inflated ego or Bill's fragile feelings.

The org blew it. All around.

Players over execs. Always.

/rant for real

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Pham also had a variety of knee injuries in the minors - it wasn't just the eye problems, although at times they were a factor as well. He missed time fairly frequently during the minor league years. Should he have been in the majors already during the times he was healthy? Probably. Should he have been traded for poopy parts last year in one of the most confusing trade deadlines I've ever experienced? Ye Gods, no.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Giants claimed RHP Kyle Barraclough off waivers from the Nationals; optioned him to Triple-A Sacramento.

Barraclough was designated for assignment after posting a 6.66 ERA over 33 appearances for the Nats. The 29-year-old has been effective in the past, though, and is under team control through 2021, so it's not a surprise to see another club give him a look.
Aug 9, 2019, 2:36 PM ET