Dylan Carlson SUPER MeGa Thread

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Re: Dylan Carlson SUPER MeGa Thread

Post by Fat Strat »

lukethedrifter wrote:
Fat Strat wrote:Well, Eaton was in rookie ball at the same age that Carlson is tearing up AA. But, I don't see him as a bad comp for profile at all from just a player standpoint. Turner's not an OF'er, so, that's an odd comp, and I'm not really seeing it offensively either. There are some similarities, but Carlson is going to walk a lot more and has done it (if you look at their MiLB stats) with much lower BABIP profile, so probably not who I would use.
Big Sign got mad when ppl pointed out that they were odd comps. Big Sign said comps only mean how much WAR you’ll get and was mad when others weren’t on board.
#clarification
Gotcha. I didn't pay much attention to all that, tbh.

Tags:

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Not exactly true. I was told to "Get a life" for saying DeShields was floor. Eaton was middle. Turner was ceiling. Turner being that he's of similar size and power to Carlson at a premier defensive position. Eaton and DeShields match his speed and peripherals. I am factoring in a drop of power for his lefty Texas league numbers.

So much controversy.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Man, Carlson is gonna [expletive] break hearts here.

He's not what you think guys.

salukifan2
Veteran Player

Post by salukifan2 »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:Man, Carlson is gonna [expletive] break hearts here.

He's not what you think guys.
What is he? Is he not going to be deserving of the top 50 overall prospect status he gets this offseason?

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

PA_Hiker
Everyday Player

Post by PA_Hiker »

Carlson now leads the Texas League in homers, total bases and runs, and is in the top 10 in the league in doubles, triples, RBI, batting average and is just outside the top ten in steals. You've gotta like that sweet left handed swing and he's solid from the right too.

salukifan2
Veteran Player

Post by salukifan2 »

PA_Hiker wrote:Carlson now leads the Texas League in homers, total bases and runs, and is in the top 10 in the league in doubles, triples, RBI, batting average and is just outside the top ten in steals. You've gotta like that sweet left handed swing and he's solid from the right too.
Yeah, but he's "Delino Deshields" and "not what we think."

PA_Hiker
Everyday Player

Post by PA_Hiker »

That's not really how I'd see him. Maybe something like Stephen Piscotty (the good version) with better defense and a little better batting eye would be about the midpoint for me, something like a .260 hitter with a .350 OBP and 20ish homers. If all works out right, he could be a .280+ guy who gets on base at .380 30 HR power and good defense in a corner or average CF. That's a star type player. He's no guarantee to make it but he's young and seems smart, so I'd guess he will be a starting RF for many years.

PA_Hiker
Everyday Player

Post by PA_Hiker »

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Cardinals OF prospect Dylan Carlson has been promoted to Triple-A Memphis.

Carlson earned the promotion by slashing .281/.364/.518 with 21 home runs and 18 stolen bases over 108 games for Double-A Springfield. The 20-year-old was selected 33rd overall in the 2016 MLB Draft out of Elk Grove High School in California and has emerged as one of the top outfield prospects in baseball this summer.

SOURCE: Jeff Jones on Twitter
Aug 15, 2019, 1:34 PM ET