2019 NFL Season

A forum for non-baseball sports
Socnorb11
The Last Word

Re: 2019 NFL Season

Post by Socnorb11 »

I think Colts fans booing him was stupid.

That being said, NFL players get hero-worship treatment when they're good. It stands to reason that they'll take a little bit of a beating when they disappoint.

I love Andrew Luck, and I'm thrilled that he'll be perfectly fine, even if the fans boo, and even if Doug Gottieb takes open shots at him.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote: That Barry Sanders was such a petulant millennial.
And Jim Brown.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:From my understanding, he gave no hint of retiring previously. Not to players, not to ownership, not to management and certainly not to the fans. Is that right? Well, again, it's his right not to. But, could he have picked a worse time? Two weeks before the season starts? Probably not. If you wanted to pick the worst day to retire on, of the 365 days in the year, he's probably in the top 20.
The owners will talk about loyalty and all that but they never hesitate to cut guys at the worst possible times for them to try and find another job without warning simply because they don't think the player is worth the money anymore so I could care less about the team. I will never feel bad for an NFL team when it comes to players holding out or suddenly retiring until they quit cutting players just because they found a better value. Screw them.

I think it was the Browns or Bengals owner a couple of years ago whining to the media about loyalty when a player was holding out for more money and how the player wasn't honoring the contract that he had previously signed. I am pretty sure it was the player's agent or maybe even the player himself who pointed out to the owner (via the media of course so it was public) that he had just cut multiple veterans with years left on their contract so where was the loyalty from his side?

You can maybe make a case for how it impacts his teammates. I'm on the players' side almost every time BUT I don't think Luck has actually even been practicing during camp so what does it matter if it was two weeks before the season or the night before? If he hasn't been practicing and taking regular reps during all of the workouts in training camp there isn't a real impact when it comes to what they are doing on the field either.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

The obvious example here is that the league will dispose of Kaepeenick at once to protect the league from 3/4 of the fan base having their abhorrent politics challenged so if Luck walks in his prime because he’s not feeling it anymore and it actually is bad for the league then MF the league, sans lube.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

33anda3rd wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:So, to say well it's just a game and Luck cna do whatever/whenever is kind of selling the state of the NFL short.
But it is just a game. It's an entertainment, like a movie. There are people really emotionally tied to Spiderman, at least according to the people I know on the internet. I don't really know the details just that Spiderman retired, or went to play for the Golden State Warriors or something, and these folks are really way up in arms about it. But they're still gonna go see the next Spiderman, the next Marvel spectacle. They like comic book stuff, so they're going. They're not instead going to turn to cineaste corners of the web to find out when the new Achi Patang Weerasethakul film is coming to their preferred streaming service. NFL fans are NFL fans, they're not going to start getting up at 6AM on Sunday to watch Aston Villa play to a 0-0 draw in an away fixture at Burnley FC instead.

Speaking of which, that happens all the time in Euro soccer. Some 22 year old playing for Arsenal or Lille or Borussia Dortmund becomes an international sensation and goes "hey, I don't like it here anymore, I want to go play for Real Madrid" so then their team has to come to a selling price with Real Madrid so that Madrid can buy the player's contract and the player goes away. And the EPL, La Liga. Ligue 1, the Bundesliga just keep getting bigger and bigger by the year. Star players suddenly wanting to leave the country doesn't kill the EPL. So either Luck leaving doesn't really matter, big picture for the NFL, or it matters because as American sports fans we are fundamentally different than European fans and not in the most flattering of ways.
Yeah, I don't think the NFL is hurt at all by luck leaving. The colts chances are though.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

tlombard wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:From my understanding, he gave no hint of retiring previously. Not to players, not to ownership, not to management and certainly not to the fans. Is that right? Well, again, it's his right not to. But, could he have picked a worse time? Two weeks before the season starts? Probably not. If you wanted to pick the worst day to retire on, of the 365 days in the year, he's probably in the top 20.
The owners will talk about loyalty and all that but they never hesitate to cut guys at the worst possible times for them to try and find another job without warning simply because they don't think the player is worth the money anymore so I could care less about the team. I will never feel bad for an NFL team when it comes to players holding out or suddenly retiring until they quit cutting players just because they found a better value. Screw them.

I think it was the Browns or Bengals owner a couple of years ago whining to the media about loyalty when a player was holding out for more money and how the player wasn't honoring the contract that he had previously signed. I am pretty sure it was the player's agent or maybe even the player himself who pointed out to the owner (via the media of course so it was public) that he had just cut multiple veterans with years left on their contract so where was the loyalty from his side?

You can maybe make a case for how it impacts his teammates. I'm on the players' side almost every time BUT I don't think Luck has actually even been practicing during camp so what does it matter if it was two weeks before the season or the night before? If he hasn't been practicing and taking regular reps during all of the workouts in training camp there isn't a real impact when it comes to what they are doing on the field either.
Obviously Luck was expected to be back at some point, sooner than later, this year. And, I never said Luck owed the team anything. I specifically said he did not. But, if I'm trying to understand the frustration, especially from Colts fans, I think I can.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Did Colts fans have a right to be upset when the team cut Peyton Manning, coming off something like his fourth neck operation and about to collect a $28 million option bonus? Or if very cold-blooded player personnel moves are perceived at the time as being good in the W-L column for the team is it all good?

Edit to just sort of answer my own hypothetical....

If yes, they should be upset then the situation seems to be that fans should be mad if players decide to leave, and fans should be mad if the team decides a player should leave. Which, in a sport with very short careers in which players need to earn the most they can as fast as they can and they put their physical and mental well-being at risk by playing, is, erm. selfish at best of those fans and kind of just willingly turning a blind eye to the realities the players face for their own self-interest as consumers of entertainment.

If no, and fans should be upset when a player leaves but not upset when the team cuts the player, then those fans don't really love those players. They love a billion dollar corporation.
Last edited by 33anda3rd on August 27 19, 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Depends on what they knew about him sexually abusing ladies I guess.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Depends on what they knew about him sexually abusing ladies I guess.
Sure, because Ravens fans who were able to acknowledge that Ray Lewis committed murder were like "booooooo Ray Lewis why don't we trade this guy!!!!"

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

I mean, sure. I'm not really trying to write a code of ethics by which all NFL fans abide. I'm just saying if you try to understand why the Colts fans are upset, you can without painting them as a bunch of miserable losers....

even though they're colts fans so they most definitely are miserable losers