2019 NFL Season

A forum for non-baseball sports
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Re: 2019 NFL Season

Post by lukethedrifter »

vinsanity wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:
vinsanity wrote:It would be like taking your wife on an expensive vacation and getting a call from her divorce lawyer while you're at dinner the night before you go home. Think you might say something you regret during the second course?
Bad analogy but more importantly this happened to my brother, only worse. She let him take her to the Caribbean then told him before they left.
Oof that's painful.

Maybe a better analogy would be getting front row seats to your favorite band and the opener announcing at the end the show's over and the band's not coming out.
Still bad.
You go to see Styx but Dennis whatshisname has quit. Or they refuse to play Lorelei.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

vinsanity wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:
vinsanity wrote:It would be like taking your wife on an expensive vacation and getting a call from her divorce lawyer while you're at dinner the night before you go home. Think you might say something you regret during the second course?
Bad analogy but more importantly this happened to my brother, only worse. She let him take her to the Caribbean then told him before they left.
Oof that's painful.

Maybe a better analogy would be getting front row seats to your favorite band and the opener announcing at the end the show's over and the band's not coming out.
Or getting a reservation for a $400/person tasting menu and learning the chef took the night off/the chef left three weeks ago and the other guys are running the show. People don't go find the chef and boo.

Or paying $1000 for Hamilton tickets on Broadway then finding out Lin Manuel took the night off and the understudy is playing. People don't go find Lin Manuel on the streets of NY and boo.

Or paying $400/seat a few Aprils ago in LA for 100-level seats right behind courtside for Pelicans at Clippers when you and your wife are on vacation only to find that Anthony Davis for the love of god is resting that night. Then I--erm, someone else in this hypothetical--boos Anthony Davis from four rows behind the visitors bench all night like a petulant brat. Doesn't happen.

It's only sports fans. Because homer sports fans who overzealously root for laundry to the point that it overtakes their personality and their emotions and they start to think that an adult making his own personal career choice in a brutal profession is most important in how it impacts them personally are a very special group of awful human beings.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

lukethedrifter wrote:
vinsanity wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:Not miserable losers, rather highly irrational. Which, whatever, virtually every American exists in a gray area between rational and irrational, having constructed some kind of fantasy to help, whether it's the fantasy of getting rich, religion, the NFL, guns, Hollywood, consumerism, the "wellness" industry or whatever. They're not losers, they're just patently irrational.
You're acting like the entire city collectively booed him without context or reason.

A group of people saw him standing on the sideline, letting them think he was going to lead the team to success and entertainment. Many having spent THOUSANDS of dollars on season tickets for that entertainment. Then find out from someone else he was retiring. The boos were directed at how it was handled and a manifestation of disappointment of expectations of the season more than it was directed at Luck.

He wouldn't have been booed if they had a presser on Friday. Most around here were shocked and upset Saturday night but by Monday fell in to "I get the decision but the execution was poor".

It would be like taking your wife on an expensive vacation and getting a call from her divorce lawyer while you're at dinner the night before you go home. Think you might say something you regret during the second course?
Close to 20 years ago a coworker that I used to be pretty good decent friends with as far as coworkers go used his entire two weeks of vacation to go visit his girlfriend in Germany where she was doing a semester abroad her senior year of college. She broke up with him the day he got there and told him she'd been seeing somebody else.

He was barely out of college, carrying student debt and she let him use all of his vacation time and money he was able to scrape together to visit her knowing that she was going to dump him. He couldn't afford a hotel so he had to stay at her place the next 10 days until his flight home. Obviously it would have been proper to dump him before he wasted all of his money and vacation time but she could at least shown a little mercy and waited until the end of the trip.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

happened to me too. after i got my masters i moved up to dawson city, yukon territory, canada to be with a woman. it ended about 5 days later and i was back in wichita the next week or so.

also happened to me earlier with a different woman hah. i was an undergrad, girlfriend went out to SF to record an album over the summer. she had me come out to visit for a week and it was more or less fun but when i got back, and she got back a few weeks later, she told me that she cheated on me with a woman (whom i had met and sort of befriended when i was there) who she was sharing living arrangements with.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

33anda3rd wrote:Or paying $1000 for Hamilton tickets on Broadway then finding out Lin Manuel took the night off and the understudy is playing. People don't go find Lin Manuel on the streets of NY and boo.
Or if Lin Manual was standing in the lobby talking to the rest of the cast, personally guaranteeing each attendee he'd be performing that night then sitting next to you to watch the show.

I'm not sure why you're so riled up about it. A few hundred season ticket holders booed a guy because he handled a surprise retirement poorly. I think you're more worked up over a purely emotional response than the people who actually booed.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

vinsanity wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:Or paying $1000 for Hamilton tickets on Broadway then finding out Lin Manuel took the night off and the understudy is playing. People don't go find Lin Manuel on the streets of NY and boo.
Or if Lin Manual was standing in the lobby talking to the rest of the cast, personally guaranteeing each attendee he'd be performing that night then sitting next to you to watch the show.

I'm not sure why you're so riled up about it. A few hundred season ticket holders booed a guy because he handled a surprise retirement poorly. I think you're more worked up over a purely emotional response than the people who actually booed.
++

"A very special group of awful human beings"?? Really?

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Socnorb11 wrote:
vinsanity wrote:

++

"A very special group of awful human beings"?? Really?
Yes really. This is no place to make this point but sports fans are irrational. We've had this argument about Durant a dozen times and I'd be happy to have it again. Sports fans are happy to boo, to emasculate, to harass online, to make their opinion about another human's career choice known regardless of the channel or level of appropriateness.

It's Luck's decision. If you're a person whose emotional well-being rests on the career choice of a person you've never met then there's something wrong with you. If you voice that by booing that person there's something doubly wrong with you.

("you'" does not = you, it's a generic "you")

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

As stated earlier, it feels like you are overreacting moreso than the handful of fans that booed in the heat of the moment.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

I'm overreacting more than grown adults who screamed BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO at someone in public over his career choice?

No.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

JERRY: Hey! What is wrong with you?!

TOBY: Me? Nothing's wrong with me.

JERRY: You boo me?! You hiss?! You didn't stop blathering throughout the whole set!

TOBY: Oh, come on! I thought you're a pro! That's part of the show.

JERRY: No! Not part of the show! Booing and hissing are not part of the show! You boo puppets! You hiss villains in silent movies!

TOBY: Well, that's the way I express myself. How are you gonna make it in this business if you can't take it?

JERRY: Oh, I can take it.