September call-ups; Cards say no to Carlson

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Re: September call-ups; Cards say no to Carlson

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Because of Wieters injury, a player named Joe Hudson who I’m pretty sure doesn’t even really exist, is being called up.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

I assume that Arozarena will be back up on Tuesday once Memphis' season is over with.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Just looked at Hudson's B-R page and it looks like he's a career minor leaguer who got a cup of coffee with the Angels last year. Spent most of his minor league career with the Reds organization before the Angels picked him up last year and Cards this year.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

We have a minor league thread about Carlson, but I wanted this to get the attention of the Major League fans.
He good.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

I think he's on the team to break camp in 2020.

#boldpredictionsthread

Fat Strat

Post by Fat Strat »

heyzeus wrote:I think he's on the team to break camp in 2020.

#boldpredictionsthread
They will have to leave a spot for him. Hopefuly it's not Ozuna's spot. Hopefully it is either Fowler's or Bader's.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Fat Strat wrote:

#boldpredictionsthread
They will have to leave a spot for him. Hopefuly it's not Ozuna's spot. Hopefully it is either Fowler's or Bader's.
Do you think Bader's resurgence is just a flash in the pan similar to what we used to see with Grichuk after a stint in Memphis? Or did the guy figure something out?

Fat Strat

Post by Fat Strat »

Radbird wrote:
Fat Strat wrote:

#boldpredictionsthread
Do you think Bader's resurgence is just a flash in the pan similar to what we used to see with Grichuk after a stint in Memphis? Or did the guy figure something out?
I think I've made some mentions of this in other threads, but yes and no on the flash in the pan. He's not a 900 OPS CF'er like he has been the last few weeks. At the same time, he's not nearly as bad as he was when he got demoted. In some ways, his entire season, with the ups and downs it now contains, looks like a microcosm of what we should expect from him. He's now sitting at .213/.329/.361 with a BABIP of .278.
* STEAMER for the rest of the year - .242/.320/.406 with a .311 BABIP and a decrease in BB rate from his current; that's an 89 wRC+.
* ZIPS 3-year has him between .306-.312 wOBA for the next three years, .242/.311/.410, all with a significantly lower BB rate from what he's currently displaying and BABIPs in the .320 range.

So, we should expect Bader to be better than his current season stats going forward, but not a huge amount -- maybe thirty points of BA and Slug, all of which are tied to BABIP. If his BB rate is real, then that will bump everything up but projections don't want to give him credit for that yet, understandably. He's probably a 700-730 OPS (90-100 wRC+) CF'er who plays the best CF in the league.

From a WAR perspective, he's at 1.3 now. That's about 2.5 when projected for 600 PA's -- a full season. Maybe we can call that his floor, considering the overwhelming amount of terrible that's included in that sample? We probably saw his ceiling last year - 4.9 WAR rate when projected to 600 PA's. Three-year ZiPS has him at 2.0 per year, but that doesn't seem to factor in defense, and defense is vital to his overall production and playablility. Long story short, he's a 2-4 WAR defense-first CF'er who can provide competition for someone like Carlson but shouldn't displace him. The best look for us going forward is an OF of Ozuna (or comparable FA), Carlson/Bader, Fowler/Carlson. O'Neill fits in there, but I would personally trade him for an SP.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

They could move Thomas or Martinez for a prospect to make room.

Might be decision time on Adolis Garcia anyways.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

#boldpredictionsthread
He won't be on the major league roster before June 2020 unless a piano falls on a couple of people.