kayaks (and kayak carriers for a truck)

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: kayaks (and kayak carriers for a truck)

Post by CardsofSTL »

I would recommend not putting three kayaks in the bed of your pickup with one tarp strap holding them down. I saw that on the freeway recently. And I saw kayaks bouncing along on the highway recently.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

lukethedrifter wrote:I watched that one. And the reviews are great. Almost certain i want a sit in.

Fat Strat?
He's probably out paddling/fishing.

So you're stuck with me.

I'm guessing you saw this one too.
https://kayakhelp.com/sit-on-top-vs-sit-in-kayak/

sit-ins make more sense to paddlers with any skill - the concessionaires put people in the sit-ons in attempt to idiot proof. That said, I'd probably get a sit-on since, I like my SUP I'd be sharing the kayak with my family.
A non-mentioned negative to sit ins is it can get hot in that cockpit. I felt confined last time I was in my Menards special.

As for transport - I feel more secure and quicker with it every time out (stilll vigilant, I hope). Just a regular roof rack with pads - straps with foam pads (like you insulate pipes with on them. I've stacked two SUPs, and had 2 bikes on back for trip to Michigan.

----------------------
Check out the 18 foot wood beauty and means of transport for Missouri Man (who paddled the length the of the MO. ) Dude from WG made that thing. Though he said he won't be doing many wood kayaks anymore- they take too much time to make affordably. I'm going to get one of his wood SUPs some day.
[SHOW]

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

lukethedrifter wrote:I watched that one. And the reviews are great. Almost certain i want a sit in.

Fat Strat?
Can’t say. There is a huge kayak Facebook group called “Church of the Double Bladed Paddle”. Don’t let the name fool you, it’s 100% kayaking and nothing to do with church. Lots of kayak experts on there and probably some who have used that exact yak. Good place to ask questions, if you can parse out the “everything under $3000 is a waste of money” comments from the useful ones.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Sit-in and sit-on are entirely about function. I want to paddle on lakes and rivers and primarily for fishing, so the sit-on makes a ton of sense for me. I guess you can fish in a sit-in but it wouldn’t be as convenient as a sit-on. If you are looking to paddle and explore, the sit-in might be the way to go.

Can’t go wrong! Any kind of yak is the perfect yak when you are out yaking.
Last edited by Fat Strat on September 6 19, 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Fat Strat wrote: Can’t go wrong! Any kind of yak is the perfect yak when you are out yaking.
Preach!