Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Re: Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al

Post by Freed Roger »

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

That does not look like fun.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Radbird wrote:
That does not look like fun.
A whole bunch of deaths on Everest lately

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

There is a TransAmerica Trail for cycling that goes from VA to Astoria OR. Saw about half dozen cyclists with panniers heading west on it in Southern MO. Man, those are some curvy roads with no shoulder whatsoever. vehicles would scare the [expletive] out of me.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

23 Utah Boy Scouts rescued from Green River after homemade canoes sink

Sounds like the internet is already piling on.

Not joining in on that, but have a few observations - large groups are not conducive to safe, enjoyable and Leave-no-trace outdoor excursions.

The BSA aren't the only organization foisting a gaggle of kids out there, but it has a propensity for these big group activities. They swing a wide berth.

The big group thing seems mostly counterproductive for helping kids reconnect with the natural world. It ends up being mostly about large group dynamics and squirreling around and group leaders unable to keep up with the kids energy level (while waiting for the inevitable kid that is struggling).

It is a circus. I know, sending small group of kids off into the woods with an adult or two has it's own issues.

I have too many anecdotes on this to share, - the charter bus full of church kids in the Ozark Natl Scenic Riverways.

The large Scout group on N Manitou island supposedly out there to pick up trash. I am pretty sure camping in groups larger than 6 is not backcountry LNT principle. They kind of wreaked havoc on our time there - every time we round the corner one them boys taking a leak and all.
And dispersed camping my arse. We finally got away from them when they had to go searching for lost scout -Conrad.

The safety thing in #s is inherently bad. You can only go as fast as your slowest hiker/climber/paddler. Good luck when kids involved.

My neighbor is a scout leader, who likes the outdoors, begrudgingly admits his son dislikes the scout outings. Somewhere in Oklahoma in middle of summer with a bunch a hepped up kids- what should he expect.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

My wife and I are in school so we have a limited timeframe we can take vacations. Consequently, we're considering going to Vegas then Zion National Park in late December. Any thoughts on Zion hiking during that time? I'm concerned it won't be fun, but I've always want to go.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Michael wrote:My wife and I are in school so we have a limited timeframe we can take vacations. Consequently, we're considering going to Vegas then Zion National Park in late December. Any thoughts on Zion hiking during that time? I'm concerned it won't be fun, but I've always want to go.
I wouldn't want to talk you out of it, because southern Utah has plenty of sunshine, even in December, and the worst snows are Feb-March. That said, you get into those canyons and it gets pretty dang cold. I've never been to Zion, but the Grand Canyon is really stinking cold in the winter. Not a ton of wind breaks, lots of canyon shadows blocking the sun, etc.

The upside is that you have the place pretty much to yourself and it's gorgeous.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

thrill wrote:
Michael wrote:My wife and I are in school so we have a limited timeframe we can take vacations. Consequently, we're considering going to Vegas then Zion National Park in late December. Any thoughts on Zion hiking during that time? I'm concerned it won't be fun, but I've always want to go.
I wouldn't want to talk you out of it, because southern Utah has plenty of sunshine, even in December, and the worst snows are Feb-March. That said, you get into those canyons and it gets pretty dang cold. I've never been to Zion, but the Grand Canyon is really stinking cold in the winter. Not a ton of wind breaks, lots of canyon shadows blocking the sun, etc.

The upside is that you have the place pretty much to yourself and it's gorgeous.
Yep, that would be a big upside. You should be able to drive to trailheads, and driving around would be great. Main canyon hikes that can be too busy to enjoy most the year - like Emerald Pools would be all yours. Hidden Canyon -if I recall has exposure on one side of trail for a while , but then you enter a side slot canyon that is pretty damn great.

Angel's Landing - depends on weather and resolve. My wife and teenage daughter both have made it up there with me.
Observation Point is probably the best view - but longer hike - you actually look down on Angel's Landing.

Shorter trails like the Watchmen - even they are great. East Canyon trails - try some of those. Canyon Overlook - it is fairly short hike, with the down canyon views. A cool hike I found outside the park called Eagles Crags is a new favorite (but not well marked).

I enjoyed driving around this desert area outside of Springdale where part of Butch Cassidy was filmed. My wife was a little take aback by the bullet holes in riddling the road signs, but that's par for the course out west.

A little pricey but we've stayed at a boutique hotel called the Desert Pearl a couple of times.

Anyways - here's a few websites I scoured for hikes :
https://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/hiking.cfm
http://www.zionnational-park.com/hiking ... l-park.htm

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

I'm going out to Moab in Mid November to run a trail race with my brother and a friend. i am flying to Denver ($150 cost for non-stop round trip - couldnt pass it up). The drive is 6 hrs to Moab.

We will have accounted for the Moab time. But I should have a full day to explore around on the way to Moab and full day on the way back to Denver. I have only visited the mountains in the Summer so hoping to see some snow capped peaks, but still be able to pass thru highway 70 fairly efficiently.

I know the weather is a crap shoot then, and will drive my options, but am considering a one night car camp (literally sleeping in my car) in Colorado National Monument outside of Grand Junction. Looking for short easy stuff to take in along the way not too far off I-70 -roadside stops, with views etc. Rifle Falls ? Hanging Lake? Might stop at the Glenwood Hot Springs (we've been before -but in the cold and after a long race It might be a treat). I'm familiar with Frisco Silverthorne - and could easily check some trails out there.

I think RMNP will be too much to even entertain on this short of a jaunt

Anybody with experience with a late fall to winter drive thru Rockies. ?

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I don't really mean to pile on either but did they do any real testing of these homemade canoes before embarking on a 65 mile trip on a real river? They deserve a bit of piling on. Come on guys, at least find a pool or pond to test them in to make sure they float for a few hours with bags of sand or something in them. If they were sinking within minutes, it is clear that they didn't do any safety testing on them. They easily could have gotten one or more of those kids killed. Heck, at least use some flex tape on the seams.

I'm not the brightest guy or the most outdoorsy man in the world but how people can just not consider the dangers that any body of water poses baffles me.