Joker

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Michael
GRB Founder

Re: Joker

Post by Michael »

33anda3rd wrote:I'm curious: why wait til this streams to see it when a big part of the appeal is the grandeur of the visuals and, I would assume, the sound design? Just not into the genre, or this movie in particular, or other?
I have an OLED TV. Watching movies at home is awesome and a better experience than a movie theater.

Anyhoo:
Edit -
From the Toronto International Film Festival

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

It also won the Golden Lion at Venice and if you told me 3 years ago that the guy who made Starsky & Hutch, Old School, Road Trip, and The Hangover would go on to win the top prize at Europe's oldest film festival for a Batman movie without Batman I'da called ya crazy.

There has been a pretty big critical divide. Zacharek in Time said..
Phoenix is acting so hard you can feel the desperation throbbing in his veins. He leaves you wanting to start him a GoFundMe, so he won’t have to pour so much sweat into his job again. But the aggressive terribleness of his performance isn’t completely his fault. (He has often been, and generally remains, a superb actor. Just not here.)...Phillips may want us to think he’s giving us a movie all about the emptiness of our culture, but really, he’s just offering a prime example of it.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

33anda3rd wrote:I'm curious: why wait til this streams to see it when a big part of the appeal is the grandeur of the visuals and, I would assume, the sound design? Just not into the genre, or this movie in particular, or other?
I may be forgetting some, but probably not. The only movies I can recall seeing in the theaters the past 20 years or so have been (and there's kind of a theme) Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, and then some movies I took my kid to see (Batman Lego movie where I fell asleep) and one other one that I can't remember.

Generally, I hate going to the movie theaters for some reason. Probably not being able to talk for 2 hours is annoying. Also, for a movie like the joker it's not a kid movie so we'd have to get a babysitter which classifies it as a night out which then means 2 hours of not talking on a night out which are rare enough already.

Watching at home after the kids go to bed we can at least pause it and talk or just talk while it plays.

That said, I agree with your original post and think the Nolan Batman movies were the best, by far, screen adaptation of comic book movies. If that makes me a square, so be it.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
That said, I agree with your original post and think the Nolan Batman movies were the best, by far, screen adaptation of comic book movies. If that makes me a square, so be it.

nah they are. the trilogy would be a masterpiece, if not for the dark knight rises.

thats not to say i didnt like DNR, but it just didn't have the same juice as the previoud 2 imo.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:That said, I agree with your original post and think the Nolan Batman movies were the best, by far, screen adaptation of comic book movies. If that makes me a square, so be it.
Liking Batman movies? Decidedly not square.

The guy I described above, who 60% of his waking life is mental masturbation over his own self-inflated grandiose opinions on ultimately ephemeral entertainments? Pretty square.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

True dat.

Regarding Phoenix as an actor. He's such an odd duck. I mean, that Letterman performance is still so out there...I forget what movie he was doing around that time, maybe his biography or something? What a weird, weird dude.

But, then there are movies like Walk the Line, Gladiator, etc where it's like...man, this guy can elicit emotional responses with the best of them.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Whatever Batman movie that had Arnold Schwarzeneger and the song from Seal in it was the best.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Fat_Bulldog wrote:Whatever Batman movie that had Arnold Schwarzeneger and the song from Seal in it was the best.
Ha.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

go birds wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:

nah they are. the trilogy would be a masterpiece, if not for the dark knight rises.

thats not to say i didnt like DNR, but it just didn't have the same juice as the previoud 2 imo.
Yeah, the third movie had moments of brilliance, but just wasn't as good.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

TDK > DKR > BB

I find the disaffected Bruce/Ra's Al Ghul story uninteresting, and like Joker it's another origin story. [expletive] all that and just get into it. You can drop hints about origins, but I don't need to know the wellspring of whatever it is that's motivating them. Bane is a better villain, and Catwoman makes Bruce's story more interesting.

Superman might be the one superhero whose origin is more interesting than his heroic adventures.