Getting into shape

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Re: Getting into shape

Post by Radbird »

I started getting serious about things after Labor Day, so it's only been a month. Pretty strict diet, 40 minutes of cardio at least 5 days per week. Down 9 pounds. Doesn't sound like much, but damn it's getting harder to drop lbs as I get older.

This is the same routine as 5 years ago and the weight dropped much more quickly then. Looking on the bright side, though - another month at this pace and it'll be 18-20 pounds. At least then I'll be able to get back into some of the old clothes.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Find something sustainable that you enjoy (can tolerate) to set yourself up for long term success.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

lukethedrifter wrote:It is not just a gym. I did a safety presentation the other day & Move was there presenting as well. Looks like a great place to get a fitness/health regimen going. Nice peeps as well.
Thanks for the thoughts. I am going to sign up in the next couple of days and see what I can get going.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Been in the 180-183 range for a week and a half. The stomach gets smaller and smaller. :-D

Donnie Ebert
Perennial All-Star

Post by Donnie Ebert »

Ran the MO Cowbell Marathon (Full) today. I wasn't particularly fast, but this was the first one in a while that I was able to run the entire race (except for stopping momentarily at water stations and to high-five my kids). I think the reason is that I've lost about twenty pounds since the start of training (through intermittent fasting), and I included a hard run each week (usually my "longer" midweek run where I tried to keep my heart rate up throughout pushing my usual pace by a minute or so). It's pretty amazing to get to mile 20 and feel that extra gear waiting for deployment (especially after the moment of reckoning in the middle teen miles), as if you know you've got the last six miles, especially after quite a few marathons where the last six were an absolute soul-crushing slog. Also, I've been abstaining from caffeine, so to have caffeine-loaded Clif Bloks late in the race really gave me a boost (though I should probably be busted for PED's).

Then I came home to eight fantastic innings of Cardinals baseball followed by one not-so-great inning.

One for two ain't bad.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Congrats man. Has to feel good running in cooler weather after this Summer and early Fall.

Time to re-start weaning off caffeine so I can have better effect from it.. I started to but regressed. Maybe need to switch to crappy instant

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Tweaked my low back yesterday. Setbacks suck. I can hardly move.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

lukethedrifter wrote:Tweaked my low back yesterday. Setbacks suck. I can hardly move.
JERRY: Hey. What's with your neck?

ELAINE: Still killing me from having to get that bike off the wall. (pointedly) By myself.

JERRY: Well, if it's any consolation, I did get her number.

ELAINE: (sitting) Ah, I think I really strained it. Ow.

JERRY: Aw, I doubt you strained it. Maybe you pulled it.

ELAINE: Ach, maybe.

JERRY: Did you twist it? You coulda twisted it.

ELAINE: I don't know.

JERRY: Did you wrench it? Did you jam it? Maybe you squeezed it. Turned it...

ELAINE: (patience exhausted) You know what, why don't you just shut the hell up?

JERRY: Awright.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

i've been feeling very blah these last 4-6 weeks. with all the prep and stress of moving and starting new job my routine really took a hit. lets say i had been doing 4 routines per day, now i'm down to around 2 routines per day..plus i'm eating a bit more casually, i think as a sort of comfort so i know i've probably add a few pounds. nothing terrible but it bugs me and i don't want to stay like this for much longer. partially also getting used to a new schedule/timing things out. hopefully i can get back to where i was and/or improve on things...even though it's gonna start getting colder and the motivation will/might be less.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

I will not put 15 pounds on over winter/holidays. I will not put 15 pounds on.......

It is tough. Not just the socializing, eating pie l, drinking beer like an uncle, etc etc. The lack of daylight saps my energy level. A twilight bike ride would require skipping work for 4:30 and wearing heavy clothes. Bah.

I do start, begrudgingly at first, heading back to the gym. Which gets the strength base back up.

[expletive] it, I am going to sign up for some races again so I have to keep my ass from being embarrassed.