The Off-season Plan

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: The Off-season Plan

Post by Jocephus »

cardsfantx wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:
Big Amoco Sign wrote:I don't think it's "not worthy" really, I just think 97 wRC+ in a juiced ball league with that high of a BABIP is a little alarming. But I'll concede that there's "still time" with him being one of these late bloomer Alex Dickerson types that a cheapo Harvard GM will plug into their lineups when he's 27.
The Cardinals don't have a Harvard GM.
no, but he does have this on his wikipedia page
He is best known for his signature bow ties, that at times overshadow his decisions as GM.
that's great

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

Feels like a cantaloupe offseason.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

make it work

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

TomBruno23: Would you believe Adam wainwright’s fip was higher last year than it was in 2018 and 2017? Nearly identical, granted. But still, shows what an out making defense behind him and his 14th best gb% (Hudson #1 Mikolas #20) can do. Ryu 8th Wade Miley 11th on that list are two guys not attached to a QO that I expect the Cardinals to discuss. Discuss?

Dan Szymborski: I can totally see the Cards being interest in Ryu and Miley.

Dan Szymborski: I don’t think they’re going to do anything too aggressive

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

CardsofSTL wrote:Off-season complete.

I really like the unwritten implication here. When it says "And Lane might even be able to hit." what they mean is "And Lane might even be able to hit...unlike Bader, who can't at all."

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Fat Strat wrote:
Big Amoco Sign wrote:Bader's high K rate doesn't bother me, it's the fact that his decent walk rate makes up way too much of his OBP. My man doesn't make contact. The thing with Bader, is you can easily predict what he will be hitting wise. Don't see him changing much on that front. He's about a 88-92 wRC+ 8-hole bat on a team with luxury to play a glove-first CF. On our team? I don't know about him being everyday CF...
I've actually done some significant research into Bader's down season and those results will be out soon -- in a different place, but I'll try to still post it here, too. The BB rate is very encouraging and he really only has to do one other thing to become a 100'ish wRC+ player -- learn to hit sliders, which he saw 25% of the time last year. 25%! The league obviously knows his Achilles heel and they've abused him. To become a better offensive player, he doesn't have to be able to hit ALL sliders. He just has to be able to hit the pitchers whose sliders are their 3rd or 4th best pitch. He can crush fastballs and sinkers... simply turning the odds more in his favor on sliders will result in a higher percentage of fastballs, which will result in more production. That's the reader's digest version.
Great first article! Looks like you’ve provided Harry with some offseason motivation.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Radbird wrote:
Fat Strat wrote:
Big Amoco Sign wrote:Bader's high K rate doesn't bother me, it's the fact that his decent walk rate makes up way too much of his OBP. My man doesn't make contact. The thing with Bader, is you can easily predict what he will be hitting wise. Don't see him changing much on that front. He's about a 88-92 wRC+ 8-hole bat on a team with luxury to play a glove-first CF. On our team? I don't know about him being everyday CF...
I've actually done some significant research into Bader's down season and those results will be out soon -- in a different place, but I'll try to still post it here, too. The BB rate is very encouraging and he really only has to do one other thing to become a 100'ish wRC+ player -- learn to hit sliders, which he saw 25% of the time last year. 25%! The league obviously knows his Achilles heel and they've abused him. To become a better offensive player, he doesn't have to be able to hit ALL sliders. He just has to be able to hit the pitchers whose sliders are their 3rd or 4th best pitch. He can crush fastballs and sinkers... simply turning the odds more in his favor on sliders will result in a higher percentage of fastballs, which will result in more production. That's the reader's digest version.
Great first article! Looks like you’ve provided Harry with some offseason motivation.

OMG Bader hates Fat.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

that is freakin' hilarious

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Three thoughts: 1) great article; 2) Bader can't read; 3) terrific Streisand effect, complete with link to the article.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

i bet he didn't read the whole thing

someone posted this on VEB, his new job if baseball doesn't cut it. made me laugh