video of Astros stealing signals(p.6 Crime and Punishment)

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Re: video of Astros stealing signals(p.6 Crime and Punishmen

Post by mikechamp »

Here's a link to a collection of articles, from MLB Trade Rumors this morning:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/01/ ... hment.html

I suspect we will continue to see more trickle out on this topic for the rest of the week.

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

Media types love Hinch and Cora because they're nice to media types. Every criticism cushioned with he's so "well-respected" or "such a good guy." Sorry, no. You're not a good guy in the context of a sport if you create or allow an elaborate scheme like this one. You have no integrity.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Looking around the league, it doesn't seem like many players, personnel, coaches, etc are upset with the penalties. So, kudos to MLB?
This morning's report on ESPN from Passan tells us, however, that ownership is livid with Crane's "relative acquittal." Link.
Gone were general manager Jeff Luhnow and manager AJ Hinch, first suspended by the league for a year, then fired by owner Jim Crane, even as MLB's investigation into Houston's sign-stealing scheme determined it was "player-driven." Gone too were their first- and second-round draft picks for 2020 and 2021, painful but not crippling. And that record fine? All of $5 million, couch-cushion change for every owner in baseball -- and the most commissioner Rob Manfred can levy under the MLB constitution, which speaks to the limitations of the position.

It is a job of extreme compromise, of politicking, of figuring out how to appease the 30 billionaires who are his bosses, and Manfred's handling of the cheating scandal -- the biggest of his commissionership so far and one that cut to the heart of the game's integrity -- offered remarkable insight into how he runs the sport. As much as MLB played the big, bad monolith in delivering the ruinous news from on high, this was not some unilateral punishment for the Astros. It was a sneak peek inside the sausage factory of power and the anger that Crane's relative acquittal caused across the league.

Multiple ownership-level sources told ESPN that dissatisfaction with the penalties had emerged following a conference call with Manfred, in which he explained how the Astros would be disciplined, then told teams to keep their thoughts to themselves.

"The impression," one person familiar with the call told ESPN, "was that the penalty for complaining would be more than Houston got."

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Hadn't seen that. Not sure what to make of it...what more could MLB have done? I'd not have guessed that the owners wanted more blood.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

lol its the owners own fault for setting a max of $5m on penalties

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

go birds wrote:lol its the owners own fault for setting a max of $5m on penalties
That's a start.

Manfred could always not go and tell the other 29 teams that they are forbidden from comment.

Manfred could also have not absolved Crane in his statement. Crane is one of his bosses and Manfred came hard with:
I also can say our investigation revealed absolutely no evidence that Jim Crane, the owner of the Astros, was aware of any of the conduct described in this report. Crane is extraordinarily troubled and upset by the conduct of members of his organization, fully supported my investigation, and provided unfettered access to any and all information requested.
That's pretty forgiving, and is arguably very tone deaf to the fact that 29 other really really really really really rich guys are also his boss, were cheated by the one really really really really really rich guy who had to pay what amounts to pocket change. Were I the Dodgers (they sent out a really passive aggressive tweet saying MLB forbade them to comment, as comment) I'd probably hit the phones to enough owners to get majority approval, then have a conference call with Manfred advising him that the 2017 World Series is vacated or they raise hell. It also ignores that this happened on Crane's watch--it's his team and he's responsible for the GM he hires, that GM's hires, everything that happens on his watch. If he didn't know, he's guilty of not knowing what was going on with his team.

Crane got away WAY too easily. He bought that team for under $700MM under a decade ago and it's worth 3X that now, given the growth of the town and the success of the team. He's up a billion and a half easy and got a $5 million fine which amounts to about one third of one percent of the growth to his pocketbook in 9 years.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I think the Astros got off way too light here.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

jagtrader wrote:Media types love Hinch and Cora because they're nice to media types. Every criticism cushioned with he's so "well-respected" or "such a good guy." Sorry, no. You're not a good guy in the context of a sport if you create or allow an elaborate scheme like this one. You have no integrity.
I hadn't even heard of Hinch before he got hired. Cora, on the other hand, was being touted as the next great manager for YEARS in the media before he was given a bench role.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

The New York Mets, and Carlos Beltran, Must Take Note of Most Recent Sign-Stealing Scandal
Beltran was said to be integral in the Astros sign-stealing campaign in 2017. It was widely reported that Beltran was one of the masterminds behind the use of technology in order to gain a competitive advantage.
Why isn't Beltran in the discussion? He sounds as culpable as Cora.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Radbird wrote:The New York Mets, and Carlos Beltran, Must Take Note of Most Recent Sign-Stealing Scandal
Beltran was said to be integral in the Astros sign-stealing campaign in 2017. It was widely reported that Beltran was one of the masterminds behind the use of technology in order to gain a competitive advantage.
Why isn't Beltran in the discussion? He sounds as culpable as Cora.
he was still a player during the scandal, and from what I've seen/read, Manfred isn't punishing any of the players, as it should be the coaches/leaders who should've known better/told them what to do/not to do.

Cora though, should get hammered as the bench coach who was leading this charge in HOU, and then did it AGAIN in BOS? yeah...he'll be gone at least a year as well and prob fired