Josh Hancock lost in car crash, Game cancelled.

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
businessmansspecial
Perennial All-Star

Post by businessmansspecial »

They were saying this morning that Rolen joined the team about 1 1/2 months later. That list sounds right.

Redbirdruss
Veteran Player

Post by Redbirdruss »

According to Baseball-reference.com Albert, Izzy and Jimmy were on the roster. Rolen arrived July 29th...

It's weird, I ran into Joe Gerardi after the game Friday night and mentioned how much I appreciated how he handled the announcement at Wrigley after the Kyle tradgedy.
Last edited by Redbirdruss on April 30 07, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AJ

Post by AJ »

fulldeck wrote:
card_fan_in_chi wrote:I was at the game the day after DK died, and I wouldn't miss tomorrows in Milwaukee for anything.
I too was there the night after DK died. I am already heading to Wednesday's game, but I am also trying to figure out if I can get up there tonight as well.
That Sunday game after DK died was tough to get through. Noone was talking before the game, then when the Cards were announced there was a huge roar from all the red faithful filling the stands of Wrigley that day, people were crying, our players were just going through the motions..... it really was a tough day. DK's number was on the Cubs small screen under the scoreboard all game. I remember later in the game we were down by several runs, and the Cards started a rally and a couple of runs crossed..... our fans went wild.

Even the fans that don't like LaRussa will say he did a masterfull job following Kile's death in that 2002 season. I'm glad he is still in charge to get everyone through 2007 while giving respect to Josh, but yet realizing that life goes on, and you know Josh would want his teammates to rally and have a good season.

number9
Veteran Player

Post by number9 »

GatewaySnayke wrote:I've made it known that I do not like Brian McKenna from KFNS. But this morning was the best I've ever heard McKenna. And he pointed out something I had completely forgotten. When the Cardinals held their World Series DVD showing, Hancock was the only Cardinal to show up, presumably because he enjoyed being with the fans and living as a Cardinal.
Here is a photo from that DVD premiere, scanned from this month's Gameday Magazine.

Capt_Morgan
Perennial All-Star

Post by Capt_Morgan »

ToughGuy_BlueShirt wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFA1Sgu_hRU

This video interestingly enough was made by a Cubs fan. Pretty neat.
wow.if i thought i couldn't get chokes up anymore then what i have

i just did again

thanks TGBS :(

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

larry from veb got a message from joel goldberg who works at fox sports midwest:
My producer, Brad Strabinger, is a lifelong St. Louisan and diehard Cardinal fan. Brad, Josh and I hang out quite a bit on the road. When the parade took place after the World Series, Brad and his friends attended. Hancock was sitting in the truck he would ride in for the parade, and had no family or friends in town with him. So he asked Brad and his friends if they wanted to ride in the parade with him. Brad calls it the greatest day of his life. Imagine, getting to ride the parade route with a World Champion.
Just wanted to pass along some thoughts, because most people really don't know much about my friend," joel adds. he says hancock "was ultra competitive on the field, but off it he had an ability to make people laugh and, most importantly, a heart of gold. . . . I guarantee every Cardinal fan would have loved to sit down with him. He had time for everyone, no matter whether you were a reliever, a broadcaster, or a fan.
http://www.vivaelbirdos.com/

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

(sorry if posted before)
http://deadspin.com/sports/josh-hancock ... 256275.php
A week and a half ago, our parents went to San Francisco, ostensibly to visit our sister. As is always the case with the Leitches, they tied their visit to a Cardinals game; they come to New York once a year too, whenever the Cardinals come to Shea. These yearly visits, and their (and our sister's) willingness to stay out late, have reaped benefits; they've become acquaintances with a few people on the Cardinals staff, two of which they popped by to have a beer with in San Fran. They met at the hotel bar where the Cardinals were staying; the Leitches, two mid-level Cardinals employees and ... Josh Hancock.

Our dad, trying not to look too fawning with an actual Cardinal in his midst, kept the conversation light; he says Josh -- and when we talked to him yesterday, Dad called him "Josh" -- mostly talked about his parents and sister, how his mom was a Yankees fan, how he talked to his sister during those quiet nights on the road, how hard it was to be away from his family sometimes, something our father said he understood. It was not a deep or lengthy conversation; our mom says Hancock "seemed shy, and a little lonely." Our parents, being kind of old, retired for the evening, and our sister stayed and chatted for a little bit, all low-key, just some nice people talking about nice things in a beautiful city. The next day, our parents and sister saw Josh from their seats and yelled for him. He stopped playing catch, smiled and waved.

The relationship that we, as fans, have with the athletes we follow is as genuine as it is bizarre. Not a single day has gone by since Opening Day 2006, when Hancock first appeared on the Cardinals' roster, that he has not been on our mental radar. We cheered him, we cursed him, we forgot about him, we repeated the process; he occupied a real place in our lives. We did not know him, and we were not particularly curious to do so; if he got batters out, he made us happy, and that was enough. His sudden departure -- shocking, horrible, insane -- makes us feel as if we have lost something that we never realized we had. We want to go back and cheer harder for him, forgive his mistakes more easily ... treat him as human in a way we never did as a mere fan. He shifts from middle reliever to human being only in death; this can drive a fan mad with guilt and confusion.

But we did not know him. Many did, in far more depth than our parents' fleeting encounter 10 days ago. To those, he was never a middle reliever. He was just Josh, quiet, friendly, reserved, living the contradictory life of a Major League Baseball player who toils in relative anonymity. We cannot pretend to have known him, or to understand the anguish of those who did. We can only know that we have lost something small but real, and hope and pray that those who lost more than that can find some sort of peace.

Old_Timer_1944
Everyday Player

Post by Old_Timer_1944 »

ToughGuy_BlueShirt wrote:I wish someone could find this. I remember last year FSN did a piece with Hancock and (IIRC) Rusty Wallace. He's a Cards fan and Hancock loved racecars. I wanna say it was right before the playoffs or something like that. Hancock looked so happy, he got to hang out with one of his heroes and race some go-carts. I'm glad he got to do that.

If anyone can find this, it would be much appreciated.
I think it was Rusty's brother...Mike?...can't remember if that is his first name, but he was also in the locker room after the NLCS championship game with Hancock. You may be able to find it some of the videos on Fox Sports Midwest that they archived after the San Diego, New York, and Detroit wins.

ToughGuy_BlueShirt
Perennial All-Star

Post by ToughGuy_BlueShirt »

Old_Timer_1944 wrote:
ToughGuy_BlueShirt wrote:I wish someone could find this. I remember last year FSN did a piece with Hancock and (IIRC) Rusty Wallace. He's a Cards fan and Hancock loved racecars. I wanna say it was right before the playoffs or something like that. Hancock looked so happy, he got to hang out with one of his heroes and race some go-carts. I'm glad he got to do that.

If anyone can find this, it would be much appreciated.
I think it was Rusty's brother...Mike?...can't remember if that is his first name, but he was also in the locker room after the NLCS championship game with Hancock. You may be able to find it some of the videos on Fox Sports Midwest that they archived after the San Diego, New York, and Detroit wins.
Thanks OT, will do.