That famous soccer player, will he bring attention to soccer

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Radio_Bugtussle
Perennial All-Star

Re: That famous soccer player, will he bring attention to soccer

Post by Radio_Bugtussle »

Popeye_Card wrote: I think the big thing is that the typical American sports fan does not appreciate the subtle nuances of various sports.
No different than Irish or Germans or Brits not getting the subtle nuances of baseball or American football.

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer

Post by TimeForGuinness »

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Bryan Burwell had an article about "Soccer in the US" today. To sum it up: "Soccer, LOL". For an area that's supposedly pretty into the game, he sure has no idea about who follows it.
No he doesn't

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

RC21 wrote:2. I have no idea where strategy comes in. It seems pretty straightforward to me. Sure, there are SOME nuances that I'm missing, but how much could there be?
You're a big basketball guy, right? Think of how ball movement works and is used there, in a significantly bigger space so people use their legs instead of picks to create space and separation.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I didn't read this thread because it is long, but hooray soccer. That's all.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Re: That famous soccer player, will he bring attention to so

Post by Tim »

Radio_Bugtussle wrote:
vinsanity wrote:
In all reality the game I'm very surprised doesn't have a larger following here in the states is Rugby. It's a fast paced brutal game to the likes of football and it seems like it should be more popular here.
I'm a bit surprised at that too.
Season 2 of Major League Rugby kicked off these weekend and by all accounts was a success. Rugby Union New York (RUNY) and the Toronto Arrows joined 7 other squads to bring the MLR up to 9 teams. Next year Atlanta, DC and Boston will have teams. They are going about it following a MLS model. All games are available for stream on ESPN+ or Facebook Watch. Also, one game a week is televised on CBSSportsNet.

The quality has greatly improved this year over last as the MLR has doubled the amount of international players each franchise can sign.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

I long for the day people realise how awesome rugby is and start getting behind that in a big way. I played second row forward for my town's under-19 side, back when I was...well, under 19, and it was great. I was not great, but the experience was.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Famous Mortimer wrote:I long for the day people realise how awesome rugby is and start getting behind that in a big way. I played second row forward for my town's under-19 side, back when I was...well, under 19, and it was great. I was not great, but the experience was.
I’m less than a year in, but I’m hooked. I’ve become a Sale Sharks and Cardiff Blues fan

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Cool. I'm a Gloucester fan, mostly because a woman I had a few months of fun times with at University was from there. You can't beat the Six Nations for a bit of light-hearted xenophobia (if England lose, from their fans; if England win, from the fans of the other countries) and brilliant rugby.

Which reminds me, the Six Nations starts this weekend! Nice!

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

I went to a Six Nations game in Cardiff back in 2002. Super fun.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Famous Mortimer wrote:Cool. I'm a Gloucester fan, mostly because a woman I had a few months of fun times with at University was from there. You can't beat the Six Nations for a bit of light-hearted xenophobia (if England lose, from their fans; if England win, from the fans of the other countries) and brilliant rugby.

Which reminds me, the Six Nations starts this weekend! Nice!
Yes it is. Looking forward to it.

Did you catch Ireland v New Zealand a few months ago? It was the best rugby match I’ve seen (which is to say, not much).

The USA is ranked 12th and getting better. I so hope the World Cup in 2029 (I think) ends up on US soil