Per Bernie : Jocketty is OUT!!!

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
Fan_In_NY
Perennial All-Star

Re: Per Bernie : Jocketty is OUT!!!

Post by Fan_In_NY »

Swatcat27 wrote:Dontrelle anybody ??
If he goes that way, he will be replicating Walt's worst move... the Mulder trade...

Sorry Dontrelle..

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Swatcat27 wrote:Away from GRB for a few hours & they have canned Walt ??? WTF.
We should interview Steve Phillips just for the heck of it....like a calm-down period.
Moz is going to hit the road hard, he says.....Dontrelle anybody ??

Ugh........ no. Please no.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

fulldeck wrote:
planet pujolsian wrote:
fulldeck wrote:This is what Albert has to say after one losing season. What will he say after two or three if the team rebuilds?

LINK
"We finished on a winning streak, but that doesn't mean anything," said Albert Pujols. "We still didn't take care of business like we wanted to take care of it. It doesn't matter what happened. We didn't take care of business, even if we would have won 10 games in a row. Obviously, it's positive at the end of the season, but still, we fell short."
We all know he cannot stand losing.
That sounds like sound bite speak to me. Not that I don't think Albert cares about winning, but he's got a contract. There's no opt out clause.
He might not have an opt out clause but he doesn't have full no trade protection anymore. All he has to do is voice to the right people that he doesn't like losing anymore and the team can make a change. It wouldn't be the first time it has happened. I seriously think that the team is playing with fire if they think he will live through the rebuilding years waiting for the minor leaguers to mature.

It would be a waste of his talent.

What do you suggest? Johan Santana and Alex Rodriguez?

It would be unrealistic for Pujols to think that the Cardinals should be an elite team every single year of his career. The Yankees have missed the playoffs a couple of times, just like every other team. Be reasonable.

Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Post by Hungary Jack »

take a hard look at the major leage roster and see who can be moved
This type of comment (thanks fan in NY for paraphrasing/reporting) does not strike me as the typical "boilerplate" that comes upon the heels of such a significant change. It is clearly stating that trades are part of the offseason plan, and that Mozeliak's near-term job (before Winter meetings) is to determine the value of guys like (my assumptions) Reyes, Duncan, Rolen, Looper, Schumaker, etc.

Interesting.

skmsw
Perennial All-Star

Post by skmsw »

The Yankees have missed the playoffs a couple of times, just like every other team.
I do agree with everything you said. But to be fair, the Yankees have not missed the post season since 1993.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

skmsw wrote:
The Yankees have missed the playoffs a couple of times, just like every other team.
I do agree with everything you said. But to be fair, the Yankees have not missed the post season since 1993.
Holy cow....... I feel stupid.

I guess it just "felt" like they had. Thanks for checking my work......

planet planet
http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy

Post by planet planet »

While it's disrespectful to WJ to announce any candidates the same day they announce his tenure ending, I hope they have a serious candidate in mind. Thank you for the great run, Walt!

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

The only thing I'm sure of right now is that I'm very disappointed that Jocketty is through in St. Louis.

I know there's a lot of people on here that feel it's an exciting time for the team, but I just don't see it that way. I understand what everyone is saying about the team heading in the wrong direction, but I still think that it was just part of an inevitable valley that would correct itself over time. I think Walt was a part of the direction the team went, but he also wasn't the sole or even primary cause.

I know Walt will land on his feet and probably in a relatively short period of time, and I wish him well wherever he goes. Unfortunately, it won't be here.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Socnorb11 wrote:It would be unrealistic for Pujols to think that the Cardinals should be an elite team every single year of his career.
I know it was a different world back then, but this is one area where I hope Pujols career doesn't parallel Musial's.

Musial
1941-46: 4 pennants, 3 world championships
1947-63: 0 pennants, 0 world championships

Pujols
2001-06: 5 postseasons, 2 pennants, 1 world championship
2007-??: TBD

Fan_In_NY
Perennial All-Star

Post by Fan_In_NY »

Hungary Jack wrote:
take a hard look at the major leage roster and see who can be moved
This type of comment (thanks fan in NY for paraphrasing/reporting) does not strike me as the typical "boilerplate" that comes upon the heels of such a significant change.
I cant take credit where it is not due, it was 100Mil who reported/typed it, I was just quoting from his.