Partnering with a Cardinals blog

Need support or have a suggestion on how to improve the site? Post it here.
thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Re: Partnering with a Cardinals blog

Post by thrill »

As many of our potential bloggers learned last time around, having a blog sounds like a great idea until you have to actually think of something to write on a regular basis.

If someone, or a team of someones (I think this is a better approach) wanted to do it right, I think it'd be a great addition.

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

Yeah I think a team (i'd say 5-7 people) who all have a once-a-week slot, or maybe once every other week would work best. Cause yeah, finding something to write about, especially during the offseason, isn't easy.

dangerous
Perennial All-Star

Post by dangerous »

blg

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Honest to blog.
/undeserved oscar winning mockery

GatewaySnayke
Hall Of Famer

Post by GatewaySnayke »

Writing a good blog is hard work. I think there's some good ideas here, but nobody would stick with it

UK
Perennial All-Star

Post by UK »

1 person, one day a week, can't be too hard.

For example: I just wrote this:

Cubs Trade Pie to Balt. for Garrett Olson and minor league reliever Hank Williamson.
January 19, 2009 by illinoisbaseball

This is an obvious move more geared towards roster flexibility and stockpiling arms moreso than trading for players who will immediately impact the 25 man roster.

To go along with Pie, you will likely see Hill and Cedeno who are also out of options likely to be traded in the near future. Once Cedeno is traded, then you’ll see the Cubs sign Rich Aurilia to be that clubhouse leader and provide more pop from the powerless bench as well as someone who can play 1B and 3B. Even with Aurilia, their bench will be sub-par and given the recent injury history of both Soriano and Bradley, it be stretched thin. Luckily, it seems that the leg problems that plagued A. Ramirez early in his career (likely from lack of conditioning) have gone away as Ramirez looks to be more dedicated in the weight room compared to 5 years ago.

Scouting Reports:

Hank Williamson:

RHP So. R-R 6-5 205 San Jacinto JC Houston (Lamar)
SCOUTING REPORT: Williamson attended Rice as a freshman and did not pitch, but got everyone’s attention with a solid mid-90s fastball during fall practice after he transferred to San Jac. He became the ace on a talent-laden Gators pitching staff, going 7-3, 2.68 with 68 strikeouts in 89 innings. He’s been more steady at 89-93 mph this spring. His secondary pitches are a split-finger, which shows quality life at times, and a developing slider. Scouts still consider Williamson projectable and a work-in-progress, and would like to see a better breaking ball. He’s signed to go to Lamar next year, where he could blossom.

Garrett Olson:

3 pitches:

88-91FB

78-81SL

80-83CH

http://www.baseball-reference.com/o/olsonga01.shtml (major league numbers)

http://minors.baseball-reference.com/pl ... ?pid=25645 (minor league numbers

As you can see, he appears to be a little gun shy when pitching in the majors, which plagued him at times in the minors. He was trying to pitch perfectly rather than allowing the hitter to get himself which led to the high BB totals in the majors. His slider is probably his best pitch but his FB doesn’t have the command, movement, or velocity to improve his slider and more importantly the 3rd pitch he’ll need (change-up).

Despite good numbers in the minors as well as 2 ML avg. pitches with his FB and slider, I don’t see him making it on the Cubs as a starter. He will likely play the role of Marshall last year as the swing/long-relief reliever or hopefully be part of the Peavy trade. Honestly, I don’t see why the trade for Peavy would possibly sway on whether or not Olson is included in the trade as he appears to be a marginal player espec. compared to potential stars like Vitters.

Williamson looks to be a minor league reliever throughout his pro career given an inconsistent splitter and no real breaking ball. However, he did put up better numbers than his ERA would indicate likely caused by relievers coming in after him who are minor league fillers and gave up the inherited runs.

Back to Pie, I drool over the tools he possess especially defensively with outstanding range and a plus arm both in accuracy and strength. He just wasn’t showing enough progress with the bat to merit putting him on the roster even over a marginal player like Gathright. Gathright is more likely to come up with an occasional pinch-hit and play similar defensive as a defensive replacement without further stunting Pie’s growth by rotting on the bench. Plus, there appeared to be some issues with Pie and Piniella as far as Pie’s work ethic or dedication to the game. Pie has too long of a swing for someone with avg. bat speed, marginal to avg. power, and an inability to hit a ml avg. breaking ball from both lh’ers and rh’ers. The hole on his inner half as well as the poor strike zone judgment always put him two strike counts that someone with his abilities at the plate can’t hit out of as much as he was in that count.

There’s already talk in baltimore of putting Pie in LF, Adam Jones in CF, and Markakis in RF would likely compete with Clev. as the defensive OF in baseball, but I don’t Pie can hit well enough for a starting Cf’er or a 4th Of’er at this stage, let alone a startng LF’er.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

Isn't it a competing rather than complimentary format? Most of what you'd want to say in the blog will end up in the baseball forum one way or another.

Yanksfan1523
Fringe Major League Player

Post by Yanksfan1523 »

Arthur Dent wrote:Isn't it a competing rather than complimentary format? Most of what you'd want to say in the blog will end up in the baseball forum one way or another.

I agree with that. A decent blog post can be just as easily used as a thread starter.

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

Yanksfan1523 wrote:
Arthur Dent wrote:Isn't it a competing rather than complimentary format? Most of what you'd want to say in the blog will end up in the baseball forum one way or another.

I agree with that. A decent blog post can be just as easily used as a thread starter.
Aye, that's what I was thinking. Just make the blogs forum posts, then there's no real time crunch or pressure to produce an article.