The Beatles

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

The Beatles

Post by G. Keenan »

I wasn't alive until 1982 so The Beatles were always a band I readily acknowledged the greatness of but never really loved. This has all changed since my dad gave me all of his old records over thanksgiving. They're absolute geniuses.

Consider that they basically did everything between 1963 and 1970. Has there ever been another band that put out so many great albums in such a short period of time? Furthermore, has there ever been a band whose sound/style evolved so thoroughly over such a short period of time? Listen to Please, Please me, which came out in 1963 and Rubber Soul, 1965. Rubber Soul changed music as we know it and it was only two years after they were singing songs like Love Me Do and Twist and Shout. Incredible.

Like I said, I've always known they were a great band, but it's only in the last month or so that I've really come to appreciate just how great they really were. So what's your favorite Beatles album? So far for me it's a three way tie between Rubber Soul, Revolver, and Abbey Road.

Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators

Re: The Beatles

Post by Tambourine Man »

The White Album is where it's at for just listening straight on through, but my favorite singles are from the few previous albums. George Martin's magic touch is evident throughout their career.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

Tambourine Man wrote:The White Album is where it's at for just listening straight on through, but my favorite singles are from the few previous albums. George Martin's magic touch is evident throughout their career.
I need to get The White Album.

Did George Martin work with any other big bands? His work is definitely under-appreciated. In addition to producing like all of their albums, except for Let it Be, he was key to some of their biggest hits. Recording the piano on In My Life, for instance, then speeding it up so it would sound like a harpsichord.

StatmanCrothers
Perennial All-Star

Post by StatmanCrothers »

G. Keenan wrote:I wasn't alive until 1982 so The Beatles were always a band I readily acknowledged the greatness of but never really loved. This has all changed since my dad gave me all of his old records over thanksgiving. They're absolute geniuses.

Consider that they basically did everything between 1963 and 1970. Has there ever been another band that put out so many great albums in such a short period of time? Furthermore, has there ever been a band whose sound/style evolved so thoroughly over such a short period of time? Listen to Please, Please me, which came out in 1963 and Rubber Soul, 1965. Rubber Soul changed music as we know it and it was only two years after they were singing songs like Love Me Do and Twist and Shout. Incredible.

Like I said, I've always known they were a great band, but it's only in the last month or so that I've really come to appreciate just how great they really were. So what's your favorite Beatles album? So far for me it's a three way tie between Rubber Soul, Revolver, and Abbey Road.
Those are my three favorites too. Magical Mystery Tour is a great set as well. White album has a ton of great songs but there is filler there... Rev 9 is complete crap as far as repeat listening goes.

I've a multi disc set (homemade) which comprises about 90% of the songs they released, with a spare handful of the unreleased songs that never saw light until the Anthology stuff was released, and I put the songs in the order they were recorded (a few slightly shifted for flow).

Taking a five hour road trip? No problem. Listen and marvel at the greatness.

Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators

Post by Tambourine Man »

G. Keenan wrote:
Tambourine Man wrote:The White Album is where it's at for just listening straight on through, but my favorite singles are from the few previous albums. George Martin's magic touch is evident throughout their career.

Did George Martin work with any other big bands? His work is definitely under-appreciated. In addition to producing like all of their albums, except for Let it Be, he was key to some of their biggest hits. Recording the piano on In My Life, for instance, then speeding it up so it would sound like a harpsichord.
I don't know that he worked with any other really big acts...There were just a ton of imitators that he did some production work with, who were often working with Lennon/McCartney songs that for whatever reason John and Paul didn't wanna mess with. I've got "All You Need Is Ears" sitting on my bookshelf.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Most people probably wouldn't think they're on the same earthly scale as The Beatles, but to me, Rush had a similar run of amazing albums + evolving sound in a relatively short period of time.

Start with their debut album Rush, and then listen to them grow/evolve on each successive album into the mid 80s...

Rush - 1974
Fly By Night - 1975
Caress of Steel - 1975
2112 - 1976
A Farewell to Kings - 1977
Hemispheres - 1978
Permanent Waves - 1980
Moving Pictures - 1981
Signals - 1982
Grace Under Pressure - 1984
Power Windows - 1985
Hold Your Fire - 1987
Presto - 1989
Roll the Bones - 1991
Counterparts - 1993
Test for Echo - 1996
Vapor Trails - 2002
Feedback (EP) - 2004
Snakes and Arrows - 2007

To me, their best work was from 1975 through 1981. Seven great albums in seven years. There is lots of great stuff after 1981, just not quite the same level of awesomeness as the previous years.

(ducks)

MrSaigon

Post by MrSaigon »

I've only listened to the Beatles by album over the last year or so. My two favorites so far are Rubber Soul and Revolver, right now I like the former better. I love listening to Sgt. Peppers to hear Paul's bass. It's fantastic on that album.

Actually I have to add Help! to my short list of favorite albums right now. It's not one I see discussed as much. It doesn't have the musical depth of other albums but it sure is great.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

Abbey Road. This stretch of songs just can't be beat.

"Mean Mr. Mustard"
"Polythene Pam"
"She Came in Through the Bathroom Window"
"Golden Slumbers"
"Carry That Weight"
"The End"
"Her Majesty"

StatmanCrothers
Perennial All-Star

G. Keenan wrote:

He produced Jeff Beck's Blow By Blow album, which is excellent. Instrumental rock-jazz fusion. Just a great listen, both sides. Highly recommended

StatmanCrothers
Perennial All-Star

MrSaigon wrote:I've only listened to the Beatles by album over the last year or so. My two favorites so far are Rubber Soul and Revolver, right now I like the former better. I love listening to Sgt. Peppers to hear Paul's bass. It's fantastic on that album.

Actually I have to add Help! to my short list of favorite albums right now. It's not one I see discussed as much. It doesn't have the musical depth of other albums but it sure is great.
Hard Day's Night is fantastic as well. John was really carrying the load early on. Paul picked up the slack later, and at the end, George finally ditched the sitar fetish and was really shining ("Something" and "Here Comes The Sun" on Abbey Road)