Pick the next Cardinals Manager (p. 5 it’s Marmol)

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball

Who would you pick?

Ollie Marmol
46%
Stubby Clapp
16%
Matt Holliday
5%
Mark McGwire
No votes
Skip Schumaker
3%
Jose Oquendo
5%
Someone outside the organization with/without experience
22%
Another internal candidate
No votes
Leroy DeLeon
3%

Total votes: 37

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Re: Pick the next Cardinals Manager (p. 5 it’s Marmol)

Post by Socnorb11 »

Could have been a bit of both. Mo specifically said that the discourse between Schildt and Albert was part of the problem. I'm not sure what his incentive would be to be dishonest about that.

If Schildt wasn't happy about the roster construction, it would be easy enough for Mo (with Dewitt's support) to simply tell him to hush up and deal with it.

Tags:

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

It seems like a lot of the tweets I read on this are people mad that the franchise is hiring someone who is going to be on the same page with upper management.

Like the idea of some rebel who fights with the FO is going to ever be a good idea. I’ll never understand a lot of this fanbase. But maybe I’m selectively reading bad tweets.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Socnorb11 wrote:
October 24 21, 9:34 pm
Could have been a bit of both. Mo specifically said that the discourse between Schildt and Albert was part of the problem. I'm not sure what his incentive would be to be dishonest about that.

If Schildt wasn't happy about the roster construction, it would be easy enough for Mo (with Dewitt's support) to simply tell him to hush up and deal with it.
Mo never specifically says anything, and MOst certainly never said that.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Wasn't the "sole reason" certainly implies that it was part of the reason, I think. Otherwise, why not just say "that wasn't a factor"?

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Superorganism
Everyday Player

Post by Superorganism »

Marmol is familiar to the players and upper management. He’s a cheap yes man. It’s a nice pay raise for him. While also being dirt cheap for the org. So both sides “win” in that respect.

Mo really didn’t like Shildt telling him to improve the team. Mo is very arrogant and wields that president title like a weapon. He sees managers as order takers and doesn’t care about the personality management side. Probably because he doesn’t have one.

Shildt is arrogant too. He’s also a baseball guy through and through. Can’t recall any BS from the clubhouse during his tenure and leaked clips of him going off show a natural leader of men.

I’m not convinced changing managers like this affects anything on the field. And if that’s the case, I can see why the org wants a yes man who will always go with the FO provided lineup card and matchup sheet.

For me though? Give me Shildt. Cardinal lifer. Respected in clubhouse. No major drama. As InvincibleCakerEater said, perfectly cromulent.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

I assume that the Cardinals made the decision to hire Marmol a few days ago but were waiting until the gap inbetween the LCS and WS games to announce the hiring.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Let's hope the weird subset of people who deliberately spelled Shildt's name wrong take a break for this manager.

Gypsy Lou
Everyday Player

Post by Gypsy Lou »

Seems like they had identified Marmol as the heir apparent while Matheny was still here, they should have named him (Marmol) manager after the 2018 season instead of giving Shildt his contract IMO. I guess they thought he needed a little more seasoning, love the hire though.

cardsfantx
Perennial All-Star

Post by cardsfantx »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
October 24 21, 8:48 pm
It would be hilarious to watch Mo have to manage one of the rosters he assembled tbh.

I have no idea if Marmol will or won’t work, but it still absolutely seems strange that you let Shildt go over philosophical differences and then hire his disciple.
Marmol is the opposite of a disciple. That’s why I said the day shildt was fired it would 100% be marmol.

They are 2 different types completely. Shildt is more old school cut from a Larussa type cloth. Marmol is very analytics driven/very new school. Marmol was the one in the dugout doing research/sorting through the analytics and then relaying that info to shildt. Whether shildt decided to use that info presented was up to shildt.

With the FO in love with Albert, you just knew that it would be marmol as his views are in line with his. Whether that is a good thing/will work? Who knows. But it’s clear why the org went this direction.