Cardinals sign Matz - 4/44

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Superorganism
Everyday Player

Re: Cardinals sign Matz - 4/44

Post by Superorganism »

I don’t have any numbers, but it certainly seems like guys are keeping their velocity longer with new training methods.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Late to the party due to a busy day but I like the signing. I would have preferred it be a 2 or 3 year deal but the 4th year probably sealed the deal and that's fine. He adds depth; really doesn't cost that much and has shown flashes of being a good pitcher; give him a strong defense and hope for good results. All that said...I think they will make another add. Mo was quoted a couple days ago when asked about SS that he wasn't really focused on that because he liked the everyday lineup(that's another discussion) but that he wanted to add pitching, pitching and pitching. So that tells me one signing isn't the end of it.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

CardsofSTL wrote:
November 24 21, 6:23 pm
Late to the party due to a busy day but I like the signing. I would have preferred it be a 2 or 3 year deal but the 4th year probably sealed the deal and that's fine. He adds depth; really doesn't cost that much and has shown flashes of being a good pitcher; give him a strong defense and hope for good results. All that said...I think they will make another add. Mo was quoted a couple days ago when asked about SS that he wasn't really focused on that because he liked the everyday lineup(that's another discussion) but that he wanted to add pitching, pitching and pitching. So that tells me one signing isn't the end of it.
My guess is they add two bullpen arms (Garcia and etc.) and one veteran depth piece for SP. Nick Martinez is the popular name, but I’m not sure it’s even that high. Maybe a NRI with a chance to get starts at some point in the season.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

I hope that's not the case.

Flaherty is coming off two seasons with less than typical workload, first due to the covid year and then last season's injuries so you have to at least keep an eye on that

Mikolas is the same; even if he's healthy next season he's coming off two years of limited activity.

Hudson is one year from TJS

Wainwright is old enough to be in my geezer bowling league.

Going to need another arm for the rotation, you just know it.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

When your whole rotation is full of guys you have no idea if they will give you more than 130 innings, that’s a problem. Get a sure-thing. Because Matz ain’t that.

No Stroman or Scherzer is a disappointing off-season to me.

They said payroll was raising, and Matz costs basically nothing. So where’s the rest? The time to get Stroman is now.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Magneto2.0 wrote:
November 24 21, 10:44 am
Maybe the Cards are expecting Hudson to be one of those pitchers who consistently outperforms his peripherals because of the defense he plays with, but that's a very flawed plan to rely on.
They've built their entire team around this plan

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Superorganism
Everyday Player

Post by Superorganism »

I still think the cardinals sign a pitcher of greater consequence. Too much uncertainty in the rotation and Mo likes the lineup. If $11 million is what they meant by “flexing payroll muscle”, we’re [expletive] until DeWitt sells the team

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

I still think we sign Stroman too, and Hudson starts the season as the swing man. That’s my hope at least. Now that would be an intriguing rotation.

I’m feeling kinda fanboy these days. We have an excellent young OF. Arenado and Goldy at the corners. Yepez and Gorman could both make the roster with a good spring. Liberatore looming. Maybe I’m having irrational exuberance,

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

heyzeus wrote:
November 25 21, 8:32 am
I still think we sign Stroman too, and Hudson starts the season as the swing man. That’s my hope at least. Now that would be an intriguing rotation.

I’m feeling kinda fanboy these days. We have an excellent young OF. Arenado and Goldy at the corners. Yepez and Gorman could both make the roster with a good spring. Liberatore looming. Maybe I’m having irrational exuberance,
The Dodgers, Padres, Giants are all coming with a dose of playoff reality.