MuddleFest 2022 - Cards trade deadline news and rumors

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: MuddleFest 2022 - Cards trade deadline news and rumors

Post by Jocephus »

According to Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic, the Angels were "never close" to trading Shohei Ohtani.

Just as everyone suspected, the Angels didn't seem intent on actually moving Ohtani prior to Tuesday's trade deadline. There were some rumors that the Angels were listening to offers on the generational two-way superstar, but those talks didn't really go anywhere. Rosenthal adds that he spoke to several teams that engaged with the Angels and that the club's asking price was astronomical. It remains to be seen whether the Angels would entertain trading him sometime next year. Ohtani isn't slated to hit free agency until 2024.
Source: Fox Sports: MLB on Twitter
Aug 6, 2022, 1:41 PM ET

cardsfantx
Perennial All-Star

Post by cardsfantx »

Guardians designated OF Franmil Reyes for assignment.

Woah. This is a stunner. Reyes has struggled mightily this season, compiling a disastrous .213/.254/.350 triple-slash line across 280 plate appearances in 70 games at the big-league level, before being optioned to Triple-A Columbus earlier this week. It's possible the Guardians could attempt to work out a trade in the coming days, but it's a bit shocking to see the organization electing to move on from him. The 27-year-old slugger has hit at least 27 homers in two of the last four seasons.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

Corbin really might just be sunk at this point. Didn’t get out of 1st inning.

Whew.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
August 6 22, 6:00 am
pioneer98 wrote:
August 6 22, 12:30 am
Other teams view excellent prospects graduating as a championship window opening up, and go for it. The Cardinals never rebuild but they also never have a championship window.
https://hersportscorner.com/top-5-most- ... by-a-team/

Guess who is #2? I'll give you a hint. Starts was 'Card' and ends in 'i-n-a-l-s'. The mantra is the Cardinals go for 90 wins and a playoff spot. Sounds to me you could just as easily say the Cardinals are in a perpetual championship window.

I looked up the definition of 'First World Problem', and it links to this thread.
I, too, enjoyed the post-season games of almost a century ago while watching games the last few years.

I looked up the definition of "cherry-picking data" and it also links to this thread.

Lesson
Grandmaster Flashchat

Post by Lesson »

Famous Mortimer wrote:
August 7 22, 6:47 am
I, too, enjoyed the post-season games of almost a century ago while watching games the last few years.

I looked up the definition of "cherry-picking data" and it also links to this thread.
Since 2000, the Cardinals have made the POs the 3rd most times of any MLB team.

I don't agree with ownership's decision making and refusal to improve the team with a high caliber player during free agency or acquire a high-end player at the trade deadline every season, but the fact is they do compete for winning the WS more times than not by just making it to the POs.

Now, the amount of times I'd view them as a serious contender and not having to rely on everyone performing well for a short sustained period of time is much less than that.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

From being a sports fan, living in NY, I can tell you, no sports fans actually likes their teams and think they do enough. I don't care how successful they've been, how many titles they won, how much money they spend, how much they "go for it", there will always fans that will always think it's not enough. That's just the reality. Owners know this, FO know this.

Yankees fans hate the front office and they say Hal Steinbrenner is cheap in comparison to his pops. That sounds absurd to us, but that is the reality. I listen to WFAN all day everyday. Mets fans love Steve Cohen, but Billy Eppler gets questioned and Mets fans were complaining they didn't do enough at the deadline.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

Famous Mortimer wrote:
August 7 22, 6:47 am
Here's some selective endpointing, but it's the last 25 years, which are the DeWitt ownership years, most of the wild card era, when a lot of us started watching etc. The Cardinals have made the playoffs 16 times and won two World Series with a top 5 overall win percentage. [expletive] about the Cardinals or their ownership probably sounds silly to most other team's fans but that's every fan base, especially on a discussion board.

Code: Select all

Team       Post Champ     Team      Post  Champ
Giants      9    3        Yankees    21    4 
Cardinals  16    2        Red Sox    13    4
Marlins     3    2        Astros     12    1
Braves     16    1        Angels      7    1
Dodgers    13    1*       White Sox   5    1
Cubs        9    1        Royals      2    1 
Dbacks      6    1        Athletics  11    0 
Phillies    5    1        Guardians  10    0
Nationals   5    1        Twins       9    0 
Brewers     6    0        Rangers     7    0