New Playoff Format

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Re: New Playoff Format

Post by cardsfantx »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
July 30 22, 8:42 pm
4 games back in the division and a game back of a wild card that didn’t exist until this season.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

dmarx114 wrote:
April 27 22, 9:07 am
We are all aware of the new playoff format, right? You know, the one that is going to screw over the NL Central champion.

Seems like the East and West winners will finish 1st and 2nd overall in the NL standings. So even if the Cards win the Central, they get the great prize of home field advantage in the wild card round.

So no real difference between winning the Central and being the 3rd wild card team. Really takes some steam out of the regular season. This format sucks.

(Sorry if this was posted already. I couldn't find it, but thought it deserved its own thread.)
Don't want to be a Debbie Downer on a 7 game winning streak, but this still bothers me.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Wanna get HFA? Win more games.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Winning the NL Central for the Cardinals is a huge difference between being the 3rd wild card team. Win the division and you won't be one of the 2 teams to get a first round bye but you go from being the #6 seed to being the #3 seed and you host the whole 3 game series at your stadium.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

JoeMcKim wrote:
August 8 22, 3:35 pm
Winning the NL Central for the Cardinals is a huge difference between being the 3rd wild card team. Win the division and you won't be one of the 2 teams to get a first round bye but you go from being the #6 seed to being the #3 seed and you host the whole 3 game series at your stadium.
It's a bit of a bonus to get 3 home games instead of 2, but I don't think it's a huge difference.

The huge difference is starting off in the NLDS, which would be the case for the NL Central winner under last year's rules.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

The NFL has had some version of this playoff format for as long as I've been alive. I don't have an issue with it. Make winning lots of regular season games matter.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Cards 7 back of the Mets (6 in loss column) with 39 games left.

Mets have tie breaker.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

dmarx114 wrote:
April 27 22, 9:07 am
We are all aware of the new playoff format, right? You know, the one that is going to screw over the NL Central champion.

Seems like the East and West winners will finish 1st and 2nd overall in the NL standings. So even if the Cards win the Central, they get the great prize of home field advantage in the wild card round.

So no real difference between winning the Central and being the 3rd wild card team. Really takes some steam out of the regular season. This format sucks.

(Sorry if this was posted already. I couldn't find it, but thought it deserved its own thread.)
5 months later, and here we are.

Really want to make it out of the wild card round.

Who do we want to play?

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

So it's the fault of the playoff format that the Cardinals didn't win enough games to avoid the wild card?

I think the entire playoff format sucks too, but I don't think the Cardinals were screwed any more than any other team.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Famous Mortimer wrote:
September 28 22, 8:49 am
So it's the fault of the playoff format that the Cardinals didn't win enough games to avoid the wild card?

I think the entire playoff format sucks too, but I don't think the Cardinals were screwed any more than any other team.
Yes. Division champions should be in the NLDS. They shouldn't have to play a best of 3.