The Athletic

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
ndistops
All-Star

Re: The Athletic

Post by ndistops »

I was worried this was too good to be true. The countdown is on to whenever the Times starts scaling back the coverage that made this thing so good to begin with.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

ndistops wrote:
May 25 21, 11:19 am
I was worried this was too good to be true. The countdown is on to whenever the Times starts scaling back the coverage that made this thing so good to begin with.
to be fair, there seems there are multiple potential buyers but seems like someone will absorb them. thats all businesses hope for these days, to be bought out (excuse my commentary)

SunnyJim
Veteran Player

Post by SunnyJim »

When I was younger back in the 90s, I had a job where I flew often.

I subscribed to probably 5 magazines because I am a voracious reader and prefer essays, news, and other short prose.

I had subscriptions to The Atlantic, The Economist, Rolling Stone, Mother Jones, and the Utne Reader.

Now, in my semi-retirement, I don't need all those magazines what with online content.

I still get a print version of the Atlantic because they require it for getting online content.

I was big fan of Deadspin, Fire Joe Morgan, and also ESPN+.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

A decent number of those subscribers will probably read this news, go "I'm still subscribed?" and cancel.

I was on a $1 a month deal, but losing all their Cardinals staff then hiring some not-that-glorified blogger to replace them was the last straw. It's possible they didn't get much Cardinals traffic anyway so didn't care, but it became a self-fulfilling prophecy at that point. The Athletic was a lovely idea, but if it gets bought by the NYT it'll cease to be a thing by the end of the year.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

mmmm yes i can't wait to see more politics injected into my entertainment

Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Post by Spider John »

go birds wrote:
May 26 21, 12:27 pm
Reckon they'll only cover left handed hitters and pitchers?

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

go birds wrote:
May 26 21, 12:27 pm
The baseball is the entertainment, right? So, it's more that you don't want politics in the discussion about your entertainment. I don't want clubs to hold local governments to ransom to get them to pay for ballparks, so I think we'll both be out of luck.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

I recently purchased 'All Access' subscript to the NY Times. Which includes The Athletic. Today, I read an article about Out Of The Park Baseball, then clicked on the 'Home' link to take me to The Athletic home page. It takes me to a page to customize my experience. It is forcing me to pick favorite teams and leagues. It will not take no for an answer. IE: I can't read the content I am paying for unless I give them some information so they can sell it to others who will customize their advertising to me, my phone, my web pages, etc.

A support bot took me through the same loop as their website. 'Pick a team' -> 'I don't want to pick a team' -> 'That's OK. Pick a team.' ...

I suppose I'm the only old fart who'd like to read their content without their interference? I'm a unique anachronism with the quaint opinion I should be able to direct my self through their content rather than be guided/customized/deprived?

Y'all can commence patting me on the head and repeating 'OK Boomer' condescendingly.

Thanks for listening.

SunnyJim
Veteran Player

Post by SunnyJim »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
March 24 23, 3:09 pm
I recently purchased 'All Access' subscript to the NY Times. Which includes The Athletic. Today, I read an article about Out Of The Park Baseball, then clicked on the 'Home' link to take me to The Athletic home page. It takes me to a page to customize my experience. It is forcing me to pick favorite teams and leagues. It will not take no for an answer. IE: I can't read the content I am paying for unless I give them some information so they can sell it to others who will customize their advertising to me, my phone, my web pages, etc.

A support bot took me through the same loop as their website. 'Pick a team' -> 'I don't want to pick a team' -> 'That's OK. Pick a team.' ...

I suppose I'm the only old fart who'd like to read their content without their interference? I'm a unique anachronism with the quaint opinion I should be able to direct my self through their content rather than be guided/customized/deprived?

Y'all can commence patting me on the head and repeating 'OK Boomer' condescendingly.

Thanks for listening.
Fight the good fight! They'll beat you with algorithms anyway.

I'm 61 and my dad was a WWII vet. Guess that makes me a boomer.