6/4 GDT: Cardinals(Mikolas) @ Pirates(Hill) 10:35 AM CT

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
a_smith
Perennial All-Star

Re: 6/4 GDT: Cardinals(Mikolas) @ Pirates(Hill) 10:35 AM CT

Post by a_smith »

jagtrader wrote:
June 5 23, 9:18 am
This front office can’t execute a worthwhile firesale. They’ll get nothing.
This is my view as well. I am skeptical that they would t get fleeced. They have issues.

Tags:

Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!

Post by Schlich »

Famous Mortimer wrote:
June 5 23, 10:16 am
Unless you're absolutely tearing everything down to the brass tacks, then I wouldn't touch Goldschmidt, Arenado, Gorman, or Walker. All the other pending or soon-to-be-pending FAs, though, are fair game, because chances are they wouldn't be on the 2024 team anyway.
I'd add donovan just because he's cost-controlled, i really like seeing him play and i think his floor isn't much lower than he's performing now... could be wrong.

Noot i'd want to see a good return for

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Donovan and Noot are still pre-arb, so definitely yes to keeping them (and they're great). I think the Cardinals are probably aware that if they trade everyone away, then Busch is going to be looking pretty empty for a few years, and that seems to be important to them. Probably? Who knows.

But there are some guys who are near free agency, though, who I can see other teams being interested in, and aren't the reason many people come to the ballpark, so if the season continues going south, then shake things up a little.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

At this point, im probably most interested in this storyline. Do the Cardinals actually make a good decision for their future, or do they prioritize attendance in the here and now?

DeWitt has made comments around the reduction in revenue next year, which makes me believe attendance is still a major force in his agenda.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

phins wrote:
June 6 23, 6:15 am
At this point, im probably most interested in this storyline. Do the Cardinals actually make a good decision for their future, or do they prioritize attendance in the here and now?

DeWitt has made comments around the reduction in revenue next year, which makes me believe attendance is still a major force in his agenda.
If the plan is to drop payroll further on a team with an aging core and one starting pitcher under contract (and no great SP prospects ready by then)....well, get ready to lose 100 games next year, amigos.