Bonds says he's standoffish because of threats

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
lazypenguin
Everyday Player

Bonds says he's standoffish because of threats

Post by lazypenguin »

per: ESPN
In a candid interview with KGO Radio in San Francisco, Barry Bonds on Tuesday said he receives death threats and just tries to keep a level head as he attempts to break Hank Aaron's all-time record of 755 home runs.

Bonds didn't elaborate on the nature of the death threats in the approximately 90-minute interview.

Asked again Wednesday about the death threats, Bonds again declined to elaborate.

"We're not going anywhere with that," Bonds said while walking off the field following Wednesday's workout at Scottsdale Stadium.

Bonds told KGO that he's sorry if he appears standoffish, but he's just trying to be careful because of the threats that are circulating within his camp.

"There's a lot of times I want to say I'm sorry to some of the fans. You're only strong to a point and then you get nervous," Bonds told KGO. "I'm kind of standoffish and stuff and you can't really explain that."

"I'm mostly gun-shy of what can happen. Once this is all over and done, whether I get lucky enough to do it or not, I'll be able to release just a little bit of the anxiety and fear of what can happen.

"You don't want anything to happen to yourself. You don't want anything to happen to your family," Bonds told KGO.

Bonds said he tries to tune out criticism and handle himself in the right way, so that he makes it easier for the player who eventually will challenge his record if he surpasses Aaron's mark.

"If I don't keep a level head, how's the next person going to handle it? If Hank didn't keep his head clear, how was I going to deal with it?" Bonds told KGO.

"If someone doesn't deal with it the right way, it sets up a very bad ending for anybody else who comes along and tries to do this."

When asked if he's bothered by racial overtones associated with his pursuit of Aaron's record, Bonds said it's out of his hands.

"I never get mad at things I can't control. There's nothing you can do about it anyway. You've got less than 8 percent of African Americans in the game of baseball. That's scary," Bonds told KGO.

However, the slugger said he is thankful to be playing in San Francisco and to have Giants fans behind him. He opened the interview with a salute to his supportive fans and called Giants fans "the most forgiving fans on the planet."

"San Francisco is a great city," Bonds told KGO. "I try to tell the new players that you'll never play in a better city."

Bonds has been closely guarded by a Major League Baseball security official throughout spring training for the second straight year. The seven-time NL MVP is scheduled to play his first exhibition game Friday in Scottsdale against the Milwaukee Brewers.

"It's always a concern it's happening," manager Bruce Bochy said. "It's certainly unfortunate that you have to deal with something like that. There's always going to be some concern. We have protection."

Aaron himself, who like Bonds is black, dealt with death threats and hate mail as he approached Babe Ruth's then-record of 714 homers. Aaron passed Ruth on April 8, 1974.
I'm assuming that if this has truth to it, it is because Bonds has brought this hate on himself. However, I don't really understand people who take a sports hate as far as death threats, no matter how much you might hate the player.

LP

cabby7588
All-Star

Re: Bonds says he's standoffish because of threats

Post by cabby7588 »

lazypenguin wrote:per: ESPN
In a candid interview with KGO Radio in San Francisco, Barry Bonds on Tuesday said he receives death threats and just tries to keep a level head as he attempts to break Hank Aaron's all-time record of 755 home runs.

Bonds didn't elaborate on the nature of the death threats in the approximately 90-minute interview.

Asked again Wednesday about the death threats, Bonds again declined to elaborate.

"We're not going anywhere with that," Bonds said while walking off the field following Wednesday's workout at Scottsdale Stadium.

Bonds told KGO that he's sorry if he appears standoffish, but he's just trying to be careful because of the threats that are circulating within his camp.

"There's a lot of times I want to say I'm sorry to some of the fans. You're only strong to a point and then you get nervous," Bonds told KGO. "I'm kind of standoffish and stuff and you can't really explain that."

"I'm mostly gun-shy of what can happen. Once this is all over and done, whether I get lucky enough to do it or not, I'll be able to release just a little bit of the anxiety and fear of what can happen.

"You don't want anything to happen to yourself. You don't want anything to happen to your family," Bonds told KGO.

Bonds said he tries to tune out criticism and handle himself in the right way, so that he makes it easier for the player who eventually will challenge his record if he surpasses Aaron's mark.

"If I don't keep a level head, how's the next person going to handle it? If Hank didn't keep his head clear, how was I going to deal with it?" Bonds told KGO.

"If someone doesn't deal with it the right way, it sets up a very bad ending for anybody else who comes along and tries to do this."

When asked if he's bothered by racial overtones associated with his pursuit of Aaron's record, Bonds said it's out of his hands.

"I never get mad at things I can't control. There's nothing you can do about it anyway. You've got less than 8 percent of African Americans in the game of baseball. That's scary," Bonds told KGO.

However, the slugger said he is thankful to be playing in San Francisco and to have Giants fans behind him. He opened the interview with a salute to his supportive fans and called Giants fans "the most forgiving fans on the planet."

"San Francisco is a great city," Bonds told KGO. "I try to tell the new players that you'll never play in a better city."

Bonds has been closely guarded by a Major League Baseball security official throughout spring training for the second straight year. The seven-time NL MVP is scheduled to play his first exhibition game Friday in Scottsdale against the Milwaukee Brewers.

"It's always a concern it's happening," manager Bruce Bochy said. "It's certainly unfortunate that you have to deal with something like that. There's always going to be some concern. We have protection."

Aaron himself, who like Bonds is black, dealt with death threats and hate mail as he approached Babe Ruth's then-record of 714 homers. Aaron passed Ruth on April 8, 1974.
I'm assuming that if this has truth to it, it is because Bonds has brought this hate on himself. However, I don't really understand people who take a sports hate as far as death threats, no matter how much you might hate the player.

LP
Christ, he really is going to break this thing, isn't he? #-o
Only hope I still have is for him to do it in Dodger Stadium

Brodie
Perennial All-Star

Post by Brodie »

RIGHT, thats why he is standoffish, I call Shenanigans

-Brodie

stlmark
Perennial All-Star

Post by stlmark »

Bonds = :^o

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

What a load of crap. He's ridiculous. So the fact that he's gotten some death threats leads him to treat people like crap? What does that say about him?

What does the number of black people in baseball have to do with anything? Why is 8% an obviously bad number? If a black person wants to play and is good enough, you couldn't stop people from signing him. The desire just isn't there these days. It's true of white kids too, to a lesser extent.

I certainly don't condone death threats, but even when this came up with Denkinger it didn't result in sympathy from me as much as disgust for the people that wrote them. Did he become a jerk because of them? Not that I recall.

I suppose it's an effective way to deflect criticism and excuse bad behavior.

Boneyard
Everyday Player

Post by Boneyard »

Soooooooo he has been getting death threats for his entire career? :^o

Rrrrrriiiiiiight!

Centreville
Sunshine, lollipops and rainbows

Post by Centreville »

Boneyard wrote:Soooooooo he has been getting death threats for his entire career? :^o

Rrrrrriiiiiiight!
And how would you know that he hasn't ? I wouldn't blame him for being surly over the years..

Boneyard
Everyday Player

Post by Boneyard »

Centreville wrote:And how would you know that he hasn't ? I wouldn't blame him for being surly over the years..
I confess ......... it was me.

It all started when Barry was 7 and visiting Endo-China, I was waiting in a bowl of rice to bust a cap in his ass! I was just following Mr. Wallace's orders. I swear. :cool: