Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: Former Cardinals Watch

Post by Jocephus »

greenback44 wrote:
October 12 20, 6:08 pm
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sp ... diego-club

Tommy Pham was stabbed?? Apparently he is doing well.

wat

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

greenback44 wrote:
October 12 20, 6:08 pm
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sp ... diego-club

Tommy Pham was stabbed?? Apparently he is doing well.
Toughest in baseball.

Famous Mortimer
All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Glad he's alright.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Russell Branyan, domestic abuser and stalker.

https://www.wkrn.com/news/crime-tracker ... on-county/

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Guest: Who is the most underrated starting pitcher in baseball right now?

Craig Edwards: Lance Lynn.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Pitcher Lindy McDaniel dies.

Not bad for a guy I don't remember at all:
[SHOW]

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
November 16 20, 7:17 pm

[SHOW]

He was one of the best relievers in the game when I began following baseball. He was a Yankee when I first heard of him.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

sighyoung wrote:
November 16 20, 7:29 pm
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
November 16 20, 7:17 pm

[SHOW]

He was one of the best relievers in the game when I began following baseball. He was a Yankee when I first heard of him.
He lived a couple of blocks from my first childhood home. I remember riding our bikes past his house hoping for a glimpse (and yes we had cards in the spokes of our tires).

He was pretty good in his day. Sigh, you’re probably thinking of 1970 or so. From wiki:
McDaniel considered his top overall year as 1960 with the St. Louis Cardinals, when he logged a 12–2 mark in relief with 22 saves and an ERA of 1.29 while being named (for the only time in his career) to the National League All-Star team. He earned Fireman of the Year honors, while finishing third for the Cy Young Award and fifth in MVP voting, both his highest placings. He ranked his next-best year as 1970 with the Yankees, when he was 9–5 with a career high 29 saves and 2.01 ERA, followed by the 1963 season when he was 13–7 with 21 saves and a 2.86 ERA[4].
McDaniel won Fireman of the Year honors in 1960 and 1963. He also led[clarification needed] the National League in relief pitching in 1959, but that was the year before the first Fireman of the Year award was presented. With nine saves and a 0.74 ERA, McDaniel was named the Player of the Month for June 1960.[5]
McDaniel held the MLB record for most batters faced in the eighth inning over his career.[6] He allowed four walk-off grand slams during his career, more than any other major league pitcher on record.[7]

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Radbird wrote:
November 17 20, 9:57 am

He was pretty good in his day. Sigh, you’re probably thinking of 1970 or so. From wiki:
McDaniel considered his top overall year as 1960 with the St. Louis Cardinals, when he logged a 12–2 mark in relief with 22 saves and an ERA of 1.29 while being named (for the only time in his career) to the National League All-Star team. He earned Fireman of the Year honors, while finishing third for the Cy Young Award and fifth in MVP voting, both his highest placings. He ranked his next-best year as 1970 with the Yankees, when he was 9–5 with a career high 29 saves and 2.01 ERA, followed by the 1963 season when he was 13–7 with 21 saves and a 2.86 ERA[4].
McDaniel won Fireman of the Year honors in 1960 and 1963. He also led[clarification needed] the National League in relief pitching in 1959, but that was the year before the first Fireman of the Year award was presented. With nine saves and a 0.74 ERA, McDaniel was named the Player of the Month for June 1960.[5]
McDaniel held the MLB record for most batters faced in the eighth inning over his career.[6] He allowed four walk-off grand slams during his career, more than any other major league pitcher on record.[7]

I had a 1970 Sports Illustrated baseball game, with stats for the separate teams. The Yankees were pretty mediocre, but McDaniel's stats really stood out.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Giants signed RHP Dominic Leone to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.

Leone struggled to an 8.38 ERA in 9 2/3 innings (12 appearances) this past season with the Indians. The 29-year-old righty hasn't been an effective major league reliever since back in 2017 with the Blue Jays.
Dec 9, 2020, 12:46 PM ET