Horrible umpires

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: Horrible umpires

Post by CardsofSTL »

Can't wait until we have robot players so we can all watch our favorite umpires practicing their craft without disruption.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Funny story from our youth game last night:

A kid on the other team was stealing 3rd base. Our catcher threw it down and while the ball got there before the runner, the throw was eye-high and the kid barely slid in safely under the tag. He was called safe, and one of our assistant coaches grumbled, "You usually get that call if the ball beats the runner."

While I had talked to the field ump briefly before the game and we hit it off very well, we had never met before. So to have some fun in light of all the bad umpire stories you hear, in between innings, I went up to him, stood real close (and towered over him by a good 8 inches) and said, "I just want you to know that I want to take issue... with your absolutely correct call at 3rd base." We both shared a laugh and he said that he told our 3rd baseman, "If you had gotten the tag down just a little quicker, you would have had him."

He was a very communicative and fair umpire. He did miss one call (meaning, did not see it even though it was almost next to him) in the field, but the home plate ump had his back and made the correct call. They were a good team that had never worked together, but I hope to have them again.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Post by Spider John »

CardsofSTL wrote:
October 31 23, 11:20 pm
This kid is probably hearing from Angel's lawyer.