Roy Halladay

Discuss what's happening in the day-to-day baseball world.
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Re: Roy Halladay

Post by heyzeus »

I wonder what the struggles Carp refers to are.

GeddyWrox
Perennial All-Star

Post by GeddyWrox »

I wondered that too. I assume alcohol and/or drugs though.

mikechamp
Perennial All-Star

Post by mikechamp »

I'm going to guess domestic/marital/familial. I don't mean in a violent way, though that could have happened. What I mean is, you have someone who lives ~65-70% of the year as an outside member of the family unit. And they do that for 10 or more years. The rest of the family, for the most part, forms a daily routine that doesn't include that person. The spouse operates largely as a single parent, which is not easy when you're running multiple kids to multiple activities. (Yes, there are nannies, but some choose not to utilize them. They usually lean on the grandparents... if they're around.) But it's almost like that one member of the family is a visitor.

Now that one family member is retired. There is an incorporation of that person back into the family unit. That might upend the rest of the family's routine. That one member might question why things are done a certain way. There can be resentment from the spouse because, in some regards, they were doing what they could to make it all work without their partner present. It's not the same as a military deployment, because that one family member is home some of the time during the season. But they're kind of not, because their schedule is very different from a "normal" person's.

I speak from experience because when I worked at Busch 2, I was living in the same house as my parents at the time. During stretches when my father and I were working on the same days, we would not see each other. At all. He worked 8am-6pm. I worked 1pm-???am. (That's roughly a ballplayer's schedule, too. It was not uncommon to walk into the park with a player.) I would come home after my father was asleep. He'd leave for work when I was still sleeping. I'd leave for work just after his lunch time. He'd return home about an hour before game time. Repeat, repeat, repeat on a homestand. Now, ballplayer spouses typically aren't working, but you can see how that one member's schedule doesn't help them contribute from a time standpoint.

I'm recalling the famous story from one of TLR's books. He said his family was always happy to see him return home after the season, but then around late January to early February, he'd come downstairs one day and his bags would be waiting for him. They'd tell him, "It's time for you to head back now".

Other related factors could include: hanging around adult males and spending time with children represents two slightly different communication skill sets. Also, during the season, baseball players are catered to by various staff. When they're at home, they're expected to pull their weight (at least somewhat). Take out trash, help with kids, etc. And to do that, they need to shift their body clocks to "normal" people time.

It's all an adjustment. If guys can't flip that switch mentally, they could struggle with not being around the game.