Austin Gomber

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Austin Gomber

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

After a quiet start, he came out and struck out 16 batters in 8 IP against the Iowa Cubs.

Ascending the minor leagues similarly to Luke Weaver except being a year behind and a lefty. He has to be up here starting soon.

Tags:

ZigZagCardsFan
Perennial All-Star

Re: Austin Gomber

Post by ZigZagCardsFan »

It’s crazy how much pitching talent the Cards have in the system right now. Surely they’ll be able to acquire a superstar bat at some point, right? Right?!

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

from MCG on the other thread

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Gomber is going to have to show me quite a bit more to get me very excited about him. I think he could be serviceable. But, he's probably in the Tim Cooney/John Gast range.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Fat Strat wrote:Gomber is going to have to show me quite a bit more to get me very excited about him. I think he could be serviceable. But, he's probably in the Tim Cooney/John Gast range.

+++

It was a nice outing, but it sure looks like a significant outlier.

DeadMoney
Veteran Player

Post by DeadMoney »

Could Gomber be a possible bullpen option for us later this year if Lyons & Cecil struggle?

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

And, here we go... One good start and Austin Gomber is comped to one of the best left-handers of this generation:

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2018/4/25/ ... ar-mercado
Gomber is a guy who I haven’t been particularly high on, even as he’s made a steady ascent through the system, with solid results at each level. On paper, there’s not a lot there. The fastball velocity is low 90s. The curve and changeup aren’t pitches that minstrels write songs about. Gomber’s strength was reportedly great command and the ability to throw all three pitches in the zone. My concern was that we were looking at Tim Cooney 2.0 here.

But watching Gomber absolutely deal on Monday afternoon, Jon Lester was the name that kept popping to mind. Lester surely has better pure stuff, but like Gomber, he never throws a pitch that’s so nasty you think “nobody could hit that.” But he works inside, outside, throws his offspeed stuff to hitters on either side of the plate. It’s a great profile for a left-handed pitcher to have a very long career.

I bounced my Lester comp off former VEBer and noted Gomber Enthusiast Joe Schwarz, who approved, but noted Gomber himself has likened his stuff to Mike Minor.

My concerns about how Gomber’s stuff will play against big league hitters remains, but I’m still hitching a ride on the bandwagon. And it sounds like the Cardinals are buying in to Gomber’s AAA success as well, now talking about working him into the rotation mix in the next couple months.

One last reason to fall in love with Austin Gomber: His Monday start lasted just 2:06.
Dream away, friend! I'll certain take a Jon Lester. The Mike Minor comp feels considerably closer, but still optimistic. This is why one game or short stretch sample sizes are so intriguing and so worthless.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

I'm just not that high on him, quite frankly. I'd be happy if he turns into Tyler Lyons.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

I don't get too excited about anyone until you see what they do at the big league level. Some, like Weaver, perform better than expectations and some go the other way.

Cardinals_Spaceship
Everyday Player

Post by Cardinals_Spaceship »

Socnorb11 wrote:I'm just not that high on him, quite frankly. I'd be happy if he turns into Tyler Lyons.
Agree. Could be a useful lefty out of the bullpen, potentially.

Also, it's not uncommon for fans to overvalue their favorite team's prospects ... but that Gomber article is hilarious. Jon Lester and Mike Minor comparisons?!