MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Re: 2018 MLB Draft

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

Quite disappointed that we gave Griffin Roberts full slot. I definitely expected him to save a couple hundred thousand at that spot since it was quite a bit higher than anyone expected him to go.

Gorman at slot is fine, most teams sign their first round picks under slot so he got about what he would have if he'd gone earlier.

Was really hoping they were going to have around a million with the 5% overage to spend, but it looks like they'll probably be closer to 600k. That's not going to sign Jaden Hill for sure, but maybe they can get Vargas done for that. He's the best of the third day picks from a talent/tools/skills standpoint, as he can definitely stick at SS.

I really like Kendrick Calilao, a Florida signee, who has an above-average hit tools and some other skills, but probably needs to go to college unless he will take 250k or so. Alerick Soularie is a guy with a 60 hit tool, but is really raw overall. He's a Juco player, but he probably goes to Tennessee.

Otherwise there isn't much to spend your money on and with as many picks as the Cards had this year, and with the lack of impact talent they were able to add last year due to hacking scandal, it was disappointing to see them draft the way they did overall after some nice picks early.

I suppose if you know they aren't going to sign anyway, it doesn't make a ton of sense to use a pick on them, but even the college players they took tended to be org. guys.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

phins wrote:That's not going to sign Jaden Hill for sure, but maybe they can get Vargas done for that. He's the best of the third day picks from a talent/tools/skills standpoint, as he can definitely stick at SS.
Can you talk a bit more about Hill? I was disappointed when he decided to go with LSU over Arkansas, considering he is from southwest Arkansas. I have heard he is a very very good ball player.

phins

Post by phins »

Tim wrote:
phins wrote:That's not going to sign Jaden Hill for sure, but maybe they can get Vargas done for that. He's the best of the third day picks from a talent/tools/skills standpoint, as he can definitely stick at SS.
Can you talk a bit more about Hill? I was disappointed when he decided to go with LSU over Arkansas, considering he is from southwest Arkansas. I have heard he is a very very good ball player.
Super athletic. The reason you love that for a pitcher is it tends to means you can teach a pitcher better command/control since they can use their athleticism to train their mechanics to allow them to spot their pitches. Plus athleticism in a pitcher also lends itself to more projection in their breaking pitches (more for a curveball, where arm speed leads to more spin on the ball, which generally leads to more movement or a higher velocity curveball).

Jaden Hill has a super fast arm, a nice frame, and present velocity. He's got a 92-93 mph fastball that he can hold into the 5th inning. For a HS pitcher that's top shelf stuff. His 6-4 frame allows him to have downward plane on the fastball and he has some natural sink already. When you think of the ball of clay in a pitcher, you would picture something like Jaden Hill.

So, low 90's, 6-4 height, fast arm, decent movement. That's a starter kit for about a hundred high school right-handers around the country, right? Well, what separates Jaden Hill is the fact he has a plus changeup already. I believe it is his best pitch. He can not only throw it with fastball arm speed, it comes out of the same arm slot and has excellent fade. The changeup is easier on the arm, allows him to get opposite-handed hitters out, and is already advanced.

Combine this with the fact he is an excellent football player (P5 offers in the SEC) and you can see how teams would be excited to get their hands on him as a baseball-only prospect.

I had him as a top-3 rounds player in this draft and would give him a million dollars to sign. I absolutely believe he is a better player than Mateo Gil.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

You never fail to deliver phins. Thanks.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I really hope he dug in his heels over $400.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

MrCrowesGarden wrote: I really hope he dug in his heels over $400.
Lynn curse

phins

Post by phins »

Mateo Gil gets 900k. When we took the kid I was hoping it was an underslot HS pick with some upside. Like give him 300k or so to sign, take the extra money and sign another top talent later in the draft.

The Cardinals gave this kid a bigger bonus than Luken Baker (yes, I understand the college vs. high school leverage). Greyson Jenista got 1.2m to sign, so essentially the Cardinals graded this kid as 75% the worth of the Cape Cod MVP with a major track record of hitting (Jenista went before Mateo, but the signing bonus is an indication of the true worth of the player to MLB teams).

Gil probably even grows out of the SS spot and becomes a 3B'man. The Cardinals know way more about these players than I do. That's not debatable. But, in my opinion, there were easily 50 better players taken after him that will sign for this amount or less, there probably are 100 players taken after him better, and there is some chance as many as 200 better players who would sign for that amount.

I would rather have Kendrick Calilao. I've already posted I'd rather have Jaden Hill. I don't see a large difference between the talent of Mateo and Vargas (though they're very different players).