MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Re: Random Baseball Musings

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

The Mariners haven't been in the playoffs since the Taft presidency (actually it was that magical Ichiro 2001 team). Plus they could bump the Sox or Yanks, and they were always foisted upon me as a PNW child as much as I'd have it (very little: I was a Cardinals boy). I'd love to see them make the playoffs.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Cubs president Jed Hoyer confirmed Wednesday that Anthony Iapoce will not be back as the team's hitting coach in 2022.

Robert Murray of FanSided was first to report the news on Tuesday. "Both sides kind of realized it was time to make that break," Hoyer told the media on Wednesday morning. Iapoce had been on the job since October 2018, so well before manager David Ross arrived at his current post prior to the 2020 season. Hoyer also announced Wednesday that longtime catching coach Mike Borzello has been dismissed.
Source: Jordan Bastian on Twitter
Oct 6, 2021, 11:49 AM ET
SNY's Andy Martino reports that Theo Epstein "will not be" joining the Mets' front office this winter.

Martino's source confirms that Epstein did meet with Mets owner Steve Cohen recently and that the two "had a good conversation" but "both agreed this was not the right opportunity." Athletics president Billy Beane is another big name that is said to be in consideration to take over baseball operations in Queens, though it's unclear at this point how real that pursuit might be. Cohen and the Mets placed current general manager Zack Scott on administrative leave in early September after he was arrested on suspicion of DWI in White Plains, New York. Sandy Alderson is holding down GM duties for the time being.
Source: Andy Martino on Twitter
Oct 6, 2021, 11:23 AM ET
According to Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune, the Padres are expected to pursue impending free agent Marcus Stroman this winter.

Acee writes that "preliminary deliberations" are already underway in San Diego's front office and that Stroman is "among the names" being mentioned from the open market. The right-hander accepted a one-year, $18.9 million qualifying offer from the Mets last offseason and went on to post a sharp 3.02 ERA, 1.145 WHIP, and 158/44 K/BB ratio across 179 innings (33 starts) in 2021. He's sure to have interest from a wide range of clubs.
Source: San Diego Union-Tribune
Oct 6, 2021, 10:36 AM ET

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Finance Baseball Twitter needs its brain (singular) recalibrated.
Alex Verdugo was slightly better than Andrew Benintendi while Mookie in a down year posted a 131 wRC+. Also, the Dodgers won a World Series, which is the entire point of it all.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
October 26 21, 8:23 am
Alex Verdugo was slightly better than Andrew Benintendi while Mookie in a down year posted a 131 wRC+. Also, the Dodgers won a World Series, which is the entire point of it all.
I'll also object to that "got more financially stable" language. They certainly reduced their payroll. But the finances of pro sports teams are a black box that we don't really get to see into.

I'm a pragmatist. I know my team has a budget and like it or not, isn't going to go beyond it. But I'm not going to celebrate the "financial stability" of a team for cutting payroll costs, which in this case made the team tangibly worse.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
I saw this and it got a big laugh.

Jeter Downs cratered in AAA. Dodgers getting a ring negates it from the start. Terrible take.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

heyzeus wrote:
October 26 21, 8:26 am
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
I'll also object to that "got more financially stable" language. They certainly reduced their payroll. But the finances of pro sports teams are a black box that we don't really get to see into.

I'm a pragmatist. I know my team has a budget and like it or not, isn't going to go beyond it. But I'm not going to celebrate the "financial stability" of a team for cutting payroll costs, which in this case made the team tangibly worse.
That, and it wasn’t like the Red Sox tore it down either. They just traded Mookie.