Re: Random Baseball Musings

Post by ghostrunner »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
February 14 23, 9:34 am
ghostrunner wrote:
February 13 23, 12:02 pm
Magneto2.0 wrote:
February 13 23, 12:00 pm
Whoa. I thought they were planning to get rid of it.
I actually don't mind this for a few reasons.

1. 13+ inning games are unique and neat in their own right. But, as a spectator at games, I've found myself more often than not, especially in regular season games/minor league games, wanting a conclusion sooner than later when it comes to extra innings. 5 hours at a ballpark is a long time. Ditto watching from home.

2. Those prolonged extra inning games typically have little action. Sans Game 6 of the 2011 WS, how many 11+ inning games can you think of where there was much back and forth?

3. It taxes pitching staffs. With the rigidity of how pitchers are used, which is a different topic entirely, the increased workload has repercussions.

4. Starting with a runner on 2nd gives the home team a bit more of an advantage in that they can set their strategy with a known goal in mind. Kind of like going second in college football OT. And, it's just more fun to watch. Emphasizes balls in play for the offense. Forces defenses to make plays.

Anecdotally, I once watched a minor league game where they were testing this concept out, must have been 4-5 years ago. The away team threw a combined no hitter over 9.2 innings but gave up a run in the 10th via a, iirc, groundout to the right side, walk, sac fly. Game over.
Nah, I'm fine with it mostly. I might change it to a guy on first, but I'm not concerned about it.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

Not good for the Brewers. I assumed he wasn't resigning anyway, but yeah..

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Damaging the relationship with one of your best pitchers in franchise history over $750,000.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Magneto2.0 wrote:
February 16 23, 12:52 pm
Not good for the Brewers. I assumed he wasn't resigning anyway, but yeah..
Flaherty probably has the same reaction.

Burnes will be traded by the deadline. There's no going back.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

At least we settled with Flaherty before going to arbitration this year. Not that it really matters; Flaherty is making the bet on himself this year. If he has a strong season, he gets a ton of money as a free agent. He'd be a fool to sign a lowball extension right now based on the rough 2020-2022 he's had.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

That makes for a tough call for the Padres. Do they trade him, or let him walk after this season and get nothing in return?

WAR God
Everyday Player

Post by WAR God »

Socnorb11 wrote:
February 17 23, 11:42 am
That makes for a tough call for the Padres. Do they trade him, or let him walk after this season and get nothing in return?
Trade him, then re-sign him.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Socnorb11 wrote:
February 17 23, 11:42 am
If they know where he stands on a deal; they can also give him the money he is looking for. Will depend on how bad they want him. Trading him mid-season might make sense for them depending on the standings and other factors with their roster. It's probably better for both sides to know where everyone stands. Kind of refreshing to hear a player do more than speak platitudes.